Rox USA Ultralight Rim Strips Rim Strip

3.21/5 (19 Reviews)

Adhesive-backed nylon. Fits virtually all clincher rims. 17mm width.

Submitted by Paulo B

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, easier to install tires due to thinness of rim strip

Weaknesses:    Can be hard to install properly. Can have 'mysterious' flats. Doesn't last a long as other rim strips.

Bottom Line:
The drawbacks are not worth the weight savings. Use cloth tape or one piece plastic strips instead and never worry about your rim strips failing.

I've used Rox Rim Strips for a couple years and, like others, I also had problems initially. It was because the tape was centered on the rim but the spoke hole were off-center and tubes were flatting in a couple holes. Once fixed I had a couple years of luck with them. However, I recently was having flats again near the valve stem. I couldn't determine the cause why but guess the end of the tape was causing it.

The tape must be tight when installed and I believe it will failing sooner if a fully inflated tube isn't left installed on the rim.

Submitted by aribann a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    creeps
fails at spoke holes from exerted tube pressure

Bottom Line:
Bad stuff dont do it

Submitted by go1dens4 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    weight, easy to mount

Weaknesses:    My rim strip on my rear wheel after aprox 3000 miles or so started to bunch up, probably from changing tires tubes ext. this caused part of the spoke hole on my rim to be exposed which will eventually cause a puncture at high psi. NOTE: I do have a slight dish in my rim they are aero I would not use these strips on a single wall rim they would probably work horrible which is what some people on here may have done that are complaining

Bottom Line:
Product is good and will not last as regular rim tape which is why I have to go buy some cloth garbage before I order some more of these strips from online.

Similar Products Used:   cloth rim tape

Bike Setup:   orbea opal, nokon setup, sram force-rival, neuvation aero4 r28 wheels, etc etc...

Submitted by techmgr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    None, that's the problem

Weaknesses:    Durability
Performance
Puncture tubes easily after a few weeks

Bottom Line:
Wow, this is a horrible product. I started getting flats and it was insidious at first. Then I was able to start to see that the tape was pushing down into the rim, and the pattern of the punctures pointed down at the rim tape.
Forget the weight savings. Once these go after a few short weeks, they are gone.
The time lost and aggravation make this product a zero. If you are keeping to lower pressures they might last.

Favorite Ride:   rolling hills

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Imola with some upgrades

Submitted by 007webgod a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2005

Strengths:    Extremely light. Makes mounting tires easier.

Weaknesses:    Little more expensive than conventional cloth. Durability is suspect.

Bottom Line:
Way lighter than the conventional Velox cloth tape. Mounting tires is also easier. Does not get soaked and retain water in wet riding like cloth tape. I've used the Rox tape on my Velomax Tempest wheels for over 1000 miles so far, with even a couple rain soaked rides, and I've had zero problems. Will it last as long as cloth tape? No, but if installed properly it should work fine for...well, don't know yet. I'm hoping to get a years worth of riding out if it. Only time will tell. So far, I definetly prefer this Rox tape over the Velox.

Similar Products Used:   Velox cloth. Performance brand cloth. Plastic strips.

Bike Setup:   '04 Giant TCR with 105/Ultegra & Velomax Tempest wheels.