DT Swiss RR 1.1 Rims

The first road racing rim! Due to its light weight, the solid interior construction, CNC machined side walls and our SBWT welding technology, the RR 1.1 is a revolutionary new DT Swiss product. 100% swiss made, pat. pending.

Submitted by David a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2014

Strengths:    Light and solid feeling. I had mine built with 240s hubs and DT double butted spokes 3X/32 hole. Loved them until an eyelet split on the rear wheel. It might be partly due to the tires and tubes, but these wheels were so perfectly balanced, like nothing else I had ever ridden on.

Weaknesses:    Not as durable as I would have hoped.

Bottom Line:
Maybe the failure was due to the fact that I am a Clydesdale (215lbs, give or take a few) riding on the not so perfect streets of suburban North Eastern U.S.. I have never had a rim crack before, and also never had such exotic parts. I had put, maybe 1500 miles on those wheels before the rear rim cracked (the front wheel is still perfect). Otherwise, these were the nicest wheels I have ever owned. I wouldn't buy the same hoops again, but I might buy the new DT Swiss RR 440 Asymmetric rim and lace it to that sweet 240S hub I am not using at this time.

Favorite Ride:   Now that I live in Switzerland, just about everywhere is my favorite ride.

Purchased At:   Outdoor Traders, Gre

Similar Products Used:   Campy Daytona hubs with, I don't know what the rims are. Shimano 105 hubs with Mavic CXP 21 rims. Other rims I can remember the names of that I have been happy with: Sun ME 14A.

Bike Setup:   Milano 3v Wing Limato with Campy Daytona (back to Campy hubs and whatever rims came with them because the RR 1.1 broke on the rear).

Submitted by aingeru a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    Strong...Light

Weaknesses:    Fabrication tolerances ??

Bottom Line:
Fixie wheel set. Good quality rims...but impossible to mount my Contis GP

Favorite Ride:   sunny days

Similar Products Used:   RR 1.2 ( I mount the same tire with one hand on these )

Bike Setup:   Principia Ellipse SX
Dura Ace 7800
RR 1.2 with Ultegra 6600 hubs

Submitted by Kristatos a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    Solid value, will build into a light and strong wheel. Nice finish, attractive design, good braking surface.

Weaknesses:    Eyelet holds nipple pretty tight, turning the spokes can be a little tough when lacing these up.

Bottom Line:
I laced these up 3-cross to my Campy Record-10 hubs using 14/15 comp spokes. So far these rims are great, haven't needed to take a spoke wrench to them once. I run 180lbs. Living in a city I encounter lots of potholes and go off a curb sometimes. I can stop effectively with these and can scrub speed on a downhill faster than some lighter guys on fancier rides which gives me a lot of confidence. I would recommend these rims and would build another wheelset with them in the future.

Favorite Ride:   any ride

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   various road and mtn rims over the last 25 years, mostly Mavic (which also rock)

Bike Setup:   Steel (custom) frame, Campy Record 10

Submitted by smokva a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    - good looking
- resonable price
- low weight

Weaknesses:    - prone to cracking around eyelets

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for strong and reliable rim stay away from this rim, at least single eyelet version. As many here mine developed cracks soon after built and after a minor crash few spokes pulled nipples entirely out of the rim.