DT Swiss RR 1.2 Rims

• Value: Top end
  • ERD: 582 mm

Submitted by steve

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2014

Strengths:    Strong, bomb proof,

Weaknesses:    Probably a little heavy for racing, but definitely light enough for training.

Bottom Line:
I ordered a pair of wheels from D.T. with the RR 1.2 rims, (now the 585 rims), DT 3.40 hubs and 14 gauge D.T. spokes, alloy nipples, 32/28 count. I'm guessing they are about 2,100 grams/set. After about 3 years my LBS mechanic noticed several of the alloy nippples were splitting. He rebuilt the wheels using new double butted D.T. spokes and brass nipples. I've had them for over 6 years total now and did about a 1/4 turn on 3 spokes in all that time which was right before the mechanic noticed the splitting alloy nipples. I'm a 210 lb. sport rider who puts about 2,500 miles a year on this set of wheels. Haven't had to touch them since having them rebuilt about 3 years ago.
I'd love to go with a really light weight pair of 1600-1700 gram wheels but I've seen my riding buddies who range from 165-220 lbs. all pop spokes, limp home from a ride with wobbly wheels and the rear brake removed etc. or have to call
whine -1-1 for the wife wambulance. I've never had to worry about it.

Submitted by D Pepa a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2013

Strengths:    Strength
Looks
Reliability

Bottom Line:
Over 5000km on a custom built set with Ultegra hubs, DT swiss spokes, and these rims. Have not had to true them once. Spoke breakage will not happen. You can literally hit a pot hole full speed, head on, at a body weight of 205lbs (not fat, I work out a lot) and your wheel will not go out of true. Best damn training rim on the market as far as I'm concerned.

Submitted by DRX a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2011

Strengths:    Durable. Long lasting. Aero. Stiff & strong. Not flashy and they won't crack in half when you hit a pot hole.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy but so what. Go on a diet. 200g in a wheelset isn't noticeable.

Bottom Line:
Had a DT1.2 (renamed R585) rim on my rear wheel laced to a Powertap hub, 32 hole, three cross, straight gauge spokes, brass nipples. Completely bombproof wheel. Trued them up once after two years & 20,000+ miles because I sold it--didn't even really need to. Ran over a nail that went thru the tire, tube, rim strip and inner wall of rim--didn't even knock it out of true. Stiff and strong and somewhat aero. "Lightweight" is overrated. Just retired a matching front wheel w/ 50,000+ miles on it because the brake surface was worn thru and about to cause the rim to collapse.

Favorite Ride:   Bakery Loop

Purchased At:   NA

Similar Products Used:   DT1.2, DT1.1, Mavic Open, Mavic CXP33

Submitted by serottarider a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2011

Strengths:    Indestructible.

Weaknesses:    Relatively heavy

Bottom Line:
Bought these as part of the build of my Seven Mudhoney. They are on Ultegra hubs with 32 straight gauge spokes. Although this setup is quite heavy for racing they have been my training and backup CX racing wheels since I had them built in 2006. They are virtually indestructible—I can't ever recall having them trued! I literally put the wheel over a stake (CX training) wedging it into the spokes. When I finally got it off it was still perfect.

Purchased At:   Sonne's

Similar Products Used:   Open pro

Bike Setup:   Seven Mudhoney with Ultegra, Avid shorty brakes, Ritchey crank and fork

Submitted by kupe a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Strengths:    True, round, strong, maintenance/care free, reliable, solid

Weaknesses:    Not a one

Bottom Line:
DT 1.2/Chris King Hibs/Straight guage spokes - 2-1/2 years on these wheels and they have not moved one bit out of true or round since the day I got them. I'm not small at 225# on the top end, I like the sprints and I don't always miss potholes, tar joints, or chip seal. They're not the lightest wheels/hoops in the bunch, but then, neither am I. In the unlikelihood that I ever get to 5% body fat and have a pro contract on the line, I'll worry about the weight on my bike. Until then, I'll go for durability & reliability.

Favorite Ride:   Anything flat...or downhill