Interloc Cadence Rims

• Single eyelets
  • CNC-machined braking sidewalls

Submitted by James F a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2014

Strengths:    Low Cost
Build Quality
Consistency when building
Very light weight

Bottom Line:
Very good light weight rim. Easy to build up and stays true even with radial lacing 28h, aluminum nipples, and Revolution Spokes. Rear wheel is the same except radial on the non-drive, x3 on the drive side. About 1000 to 2500 miles a year depending. I do very little braking as the area I ride is very flat.

I've been running these rims for about four years now. I've checked the tolerances yearly, but only seem to need to touch them up every two year or so and they only get out of side to side tolerance by about 1mm.

They seem to hold up well with my 140 lbs weight and the Verdestein tires cranked up to 170 psi. (yeah, I do that)

Front finally bent when a squirrel stuck his head in the wheel at 18mph causing the bike to flip. The front wheel bent slightly, about 3mm out of lateral true.

Good rim for the money. Seems to work as well as the Hugi light weight rims.

Remember though, these are light weight racing rims. If your riding conditions, weight, and riding style are giving you trouble on factory medium weight stuff, these are not going to hold up. I have built up a few sets of these for other people with mixed results. Its "RACING" stuff. Don't expect longevity, but if you do its a BONUS!

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything. Mavic, Ritchey, Hugi, Trek, Alex, blah blah blah.

Bike Setup:   Aluminum frame, carbon fork/stay road bike with Ultegra 9-speed.

Submitted by iploya a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2011

Strengths:    If all you care about is weight and don't care about longevity or durability, you can build some pretty light wheels with these.

Weaknesses:    Poorly made, with uneven weld seams. They deform quickly and are said to be difficult to tension and true, even by the wheelbuilder expert.

Bottom Line:
IRD makes two different Cadence rims: the standard 19.5mm Cadence and the 30mm Cadence Aero. The Aero version is fantastic. The standard box 19.5mm version sucks.

This review is for the 19.5mm version. They are soft and weak and poorly made. I built them around a PowerTap rear hub and an American Classic Micro front hub, both 32 spokes. I used a reputable builder. I use them for training and racing, but I have other wheelsets in rotation, so I didn't even ride them all the time.

Out of the box, there was a big uneven weld seam that caused the wheel to thump thump thump when the brake pad hit it. In well less than a year, my rear wheel was very deformed and the spoke tension was messed up. My local shop couldn't get them very true, so I sent them back to the builder, who informed me they are soft and very finicky, and they stopped using them for standard builds. I am now rebuilding the wheels with a stronger rim.

By comparison, I had the same builder build me some wheels using the Cadence Aero, around some nice CK hubs, 28 spoke. Those wheels are still going strong and feel very reliable and stable. I will keep those.

Oh, they are also ugly.

Avoid this rim.

Similar Products Used:   Cadence Aero (30mm) - fantastic.

Bike Setup:   Road

Submitted by voodoochild a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2010

Strengths:    They stay true. The braking surface is nice. Seam is minimal. Eyelets. Nice to see that IRD is still alive and kickin'!

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any weaknesses with these rims.

Bottom Line:
I train on my road bike for downhill racing. I'm not a small guy at 180lbs, though obviously not a total clyde. I was looking for a rim that wasn't going to break the bank and these fit the bill. And they'd gotten a good review here. I have been very happy with them. My wheel builder said they built up very easily, very straight. I've checked the tension twice in two years during routine maintenance and they haven't needed much touch-up at all. Built with DT comps and alloy nips.

Favorite Ride:   The last one I did...

Purchased At:   IRD web store

Similar Products Used:   Various mavic rims -- open pro, cxp's, cosmos.

Bike Setup:   Ti frame, Dura-ace/Ultegra mix.

Submitted by danielhaden a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Strengths:    EASIER HILLS!!!
Strong!
Shiny!
Higher average speeds than tall metal rims, because of faster hills.
Black or Silver
Available in a wide variety of spoke counts.
Everyday for road or race-day for CX.

Weaknesses:    Not a weakness, but a funny caveat:
It is possible to underestimate the strength of these rims and get your front wheel too tight and cause pogo--the rims are way stronger than advertised, so build accordingly to tension and/or load-bearing for larger, stronger, rims. Unadvertised extra strength is the problem. There's no weakness.

Bottom Line:
I bought these for the purpose of easier hills. They're box rims, yet somehow more beautiful than average. That's IRD Cadence 19mm or Speedcific Niobium 19. They are much stronger than advertised. Less than 400g is true, with the symmetrical at 392 and the offset rear rim at 386.
These allowed me to remove the triple crankset and use a double crankset instead. Yes, they are effective. I also used DT alloy "stronger than brass" spoke nipples, which is appropriate for a "climber" style wheelset.
The purpose, of the small size 19mm Cadence, is easier hills, and they do it well. Thank you IRD!!

Favorite Ride:   Oklahoma everywhere

Purchased At:   oddsandendos.com

Similar Products Used:   Very high end Mavic 700c, Velocity Areohead 650B, Velocity Synergy 559-Mountain. . .and what else is really strong at about 400g? There's not many similar "climber" rims like these. Short metal rims are much faster uphill than the popularist tall metal rims.

Bike Setup:   Economical carbon fiber (old gas pipe style) with 36-52 crankset and a blend of Ultegra and 105. The wheels are set up with Sapim spokes, 24/20 but I should have used something softer at the front, like Wheelsmith or DT Areolite.
It didn't climb well until the IRD Cadence 19mm were installed.

Submitted by Beals a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Strengths:    lightweight, strong, nice looking

Weaknesses:    dirt collects in and around the nipples/eyelets more then on other rims

Bottom Line:
These rims are great! I have owned the rims for over a year and put over 5,000 miles on them. They have stayed true and round. The braking surface is in great shape. These rims have surprised me considering the how much they get ridden and how light they are. The rims have proven to be a great buy.

Purchased At:   Oswald Cycle Works