Home | Reviews | Rims | Mavic

Mavic CXP 22 Rims

2.85/5 (13 Reviews)

The aerodynamic CXP 22 offers a pin joined rim extrusion and an impactful graphic approach. With eyelets for durability, it satisfies the most meticulous needs. 510 grams. FEATURES 6106 aluminum alloy Pinned Tradi...

Submitted by Kim

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2015

Strengths:    None that I found.

Weaknesses:    I bought a set of these late last summer. My rear rim began cracking or splitting where the rim meets each spoke. I noticed this at several of the spoke-rim locations when the wheels were only nine months old.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MAVIC CXP-22 TO ANYBODY. THEY ARE UNSAFE.

Bottom Line:

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MAVIC CXP-22 TO ANYBODY. THEY ARE UNSAFE.

Submitted by jake4242

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2015

Strengths:    Nice looking wheel , rims are excellent and sturdy . good for most surfaces

Weaknesses:    very poor hub (Formula) , on mine, the cone covers kept working out , the wheel was replaced and the new one did exactly the same, The mechanic then glued the covers into place, which lasted a bit longer , but eventually they came out again , The wheel was then replaced with a slightly different hub and hopefully that will succeeed.

Bottom Line:
check which hub is in the wheel. if its a black hub with a silver cone cap , then id leave it.

Submitted by Roadnoob

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    Strong - Dependable - Never had issues/flats on them, but I did mount
Gatorskins tires & Bontrager tubes. (700 x18c -23c)

Weaknesses:    Noticeably heavier than a $400+ wheel. But for sub $100... what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
These came on my bike stock. Not sure what people are having issues with, but I've never has a single issue with mine. (I ride about 15-30 miles 3-4 days a week usually) most I've ridden at 1 time was 50 miles a few times. Worked fine.

Very dependable. They're quiet. Cheap, and they can haul my 200lb butt up a hill like a billy goat. I'd recommend them to anyone who just needs something that works without spending a fortune. Anyone who says they are slow, I was able to average 16-18mph on my average ride. (I know it's not much, but for a casual rider, it works)

I did go on a few club rides with my friends, was able to keep up easily when speeds went 23-30mph.

Submitted by Christ

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2012

Strengths:    Good value for the money (they are cheap for Mavics), tough as hell, eyeletted spoke holes, well made, look good!

Weaknesses:    Perhaps SLIGHTLY heavy for the weight whiners, but for a wheelset that can be had for under $180 all-in I challenge you to find better

Bottom Line:
I honestly don't know what all these other reviewers are on about. This is a fantastic rim given the price range (I've seen them go for $20 a rim at times). As one other reviewer said, they build up very well, easy to true, and damn can they take a beating. I rode a set right out of the box logging over 1200km in training this past season. I literally kicked the hell out of these wheels, massive potholes, streetcar tracks, tonnes of bunnyhops, etc. all on high pressure 23mm tires. And guess what? After leaving them on the bike for the entire season they were still less than 1mm out of true for both rims. I recently re-laced the rear wheel to a fixed gear hub to serve as my beater wheel on my city winter bike, and they've still held up as well as I expected. They come in a pretty wide array of drillings (I ride 20h front, 28h rear), and all said and done, no they may not be as light as an open pro or even a CXP33... But FFS, they cost half as much to 1/3 the price most of the time. If anyone really finds them sluggish, maybe try starting in a lower gear! Or hell, I know this is a novel idea when it comes to cycling, but perhaps ride more! I've never had any issues with flats or all this other rubbish about bottoming out the rim, but then again I make sure my tire pressures are always properly topped up.

Bottom line: They are a great training or commuting rim that is pretty easy on the wallet.

Submitted by mark welch a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Strengths:    Price: can be found some times for as little as 20$
great mid weight semi aero rim

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I built up a 28 hole radially laced clincher version of this rim as a front wheel and I have gotten a mid weight work horse of a wheel. It built up like a dream like all mavic rims seem to do and have put about three thousand miles into it. Its hit alot of major pot holes and has been ridden 5 days a week through two winters. I've trued it a handful of times but its always been impressive how true I've been able to get it after hitting basket ball sized pot holes. The breaking surface has not visiably been worn down at all. I would buy and build more of these rims if given the chance.

Purchased At:   Bens Cyclery