Home | Reviews | Rims | Mavic

Mavic CXP 22 Rims

2.93/5 (14 Reviews)

The aerodynamic CXP 22 offers a pin joined rim extrusion and an impactful graphic approach. With eyelets for durability, it satisfies the most meticulous needs. 510 grams. FEATURES 6106 aluminum alloy Pinned Tradi...

Submitted by Graham a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2015

Strengths:    Value, Strength,

Weaknesses:    None so far (2,500 miles) apart from a broken spoke on a rough country lane.

Bottom Line:
I bought mine second hand for £24 to use during the bad weather. The hubs are branded Giant. I had a broken spoke - no big deal as the wheel didn't go far out of true with 28 spokes. I decided the spokes were a bit loose - being machine made they had lost tension. I tensioned the wheels and trued them in situ - using a youtube video and Sheldon for guidance. Since then I've cycled 2,500 miles over winter/spring on our rough local lanes with no problem at all. No further maintenance has been required - the hub bearings are smooth with no play. Tyres are a cinch to get on and off the rims (Vittoria Randonneur). Braking surfaces are hardly touched.
When freewheeling down hill I regularly overtake other riders using wheels which cost much more so I conclude that they roll pretty well. As for weight - well they are each 75g heavier than my Open Pro rims - that bothers me not at all since I'm 75 kilo. Remember a full water bottle weighs nearly a kilo, including holder.A spare tube weighs about 80g and a few tools the same. You omit a puncture kit at your peril round here - especially when they cut the Hawthorn hedges.
I'm sorry to hear about the guy who had cracked spoke holes but just how much tension were the spokes under? My rims are OK. In fact I've bought another set - secondhand of course - as a spare.

Favorite Ride:   Kingswinford to Shelsley Walsh

Purchased At:   Fleabay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open Pro, Shimano R501

Bike Setup:   Tifosi CK7 with Brooks Leather saddle and Tiagra/105 9 speed cassette. All built from secondhand parts

Submitted by Kim

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2015

Strengths:    None that I found.

Weaknesses:    I bought a set of these late last summer. My rear rim began cracking or splitting where the rim meets each spoke. I noticed this at several of the spoke-rim locations when the wheels were only nine months old.

Submitted by jake4242

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2015

Strengths:    Nice looking wheel , rims are excellent and sturdy . good for most surfaces

Weaknesses:    very poor hub (Formula) , on mine, the cone covers kept working out , the wheel was replaced and the new one did exactly the same, The mechanic then glued the covers into place, which lasted a bit longer , but eventually they came out again , The wheel was then replaced with a slightly different hub and hopefully that will succeeed.

Bottom Line:
check which hub is in the wheel. if its a black hub with a silver cone cap , then id leave it.

Submitted by Roadnoob

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    Strong - Dependable - Never had issues/flats on them, but I did mount
Gatorskins tires & Bontrager tubes. (700 x18c -23c)

Weaknesses:    Noticeably heavier than a $400+ wheel. But for sub $100... what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
These came on my bike stock. Not sure what people are having issues with, but I've never has a single issue with mine. (I ride about 15-30 miles 3-4 days a week usually) most I've ridden at 1 time was 50 miles a few times. Worked fine.

Very dependable. They're quiet. Cheap, and they can haul my 200lb butt up a hill like a billy goat. I'd recommend them to anyone who just needs something that works without spending a fortune. Anyone who says they are slow, I was able to average 16-18mph on my average ride. (I know it's not much, but for a casual rider, it works)

I did go on a few club rides with my friends, was able to keep up easily when speeds went 23-30mph.

Submitted by Christ

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2012

Strengths:    Good value for the money (they are cheap for Mavics), tough as hell, eyeletted spoke holes, well made, look good!

Weaknesses:    Perhaps SLIGHTLY heavy for the weight whiners, but for a wheelset that can be had for under $180 all-in I challenge you to find better

Bottom Line:
I honestly don't know what all these other reviewers are on about. This is a fantastic rim given the price range (I've seen them go for $20 a rim at times). As one other reviewer said, they build up very well, easy to true, and damn can they take a beating. I rode a set right out of the box logging over 1200km in training this past season. I literally kicked the hell out of these wheels, massive potholes, streetcar tracks, tonnes of bunnyhops, etc. all on high pressure 23mm tires. And guess what? After leaving them on the bike for the entire season they were still less than 1mm out of true for both rims. I recently re-laced the rear wheel to a fixed gear hub to serve as my beater wheel on my city winter bike, and they've still held up as well as I expected. They come in a pretty wide array of drillings (I ride 20h front, 28h rear), and all said and done, no they may not be as light as an open pro or even a CXP33... But FFS, they cost half as much to 1/3 the price most of the time. If anyone really finds them sluggish, maybe try starting in a lower gear! Or hell, I know this is a novel idea when it comes to cycling, but perhaps ride more! I've never had any issues with flats or all this other rubbish about bottoming out the rim, but then again I make sure my tire pressures are always properly topped up.

Bottom line: They are a great training or commuting rim that is pretty easy on the wallet.

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!