Home | Reviews | Rims | Mavic

Mavic CXP 22 Rims

2.8/5 (15 Reviews)

The aerodynamic CXP 22 offers a pin joined rim extrusion and an impactful graphic approach. With eyelets for durability, it satisfies the most meticulous needs. 510 grams. FEATURES 6106 aluminum alloy Pinned Tradi...

Submitted by Pekka Astrom a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2016

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Started to crack around the spoke-holes after two months.

Bottom Line:
Yes, I've also had problems with visible cracks around the spoke-holes of the CXP22 (without eye-lets), but only in the back.

They appeared after a few months on my new bike, and I was quite disappointed. These rims came standard on a Merida T1 Hybrid bike, 2009, which I use for heavy touring.

I've read that many people have this problem. My only question is: maybe it is only on the elox surface?

In any case, I replaced them with cheap Giant S-R2 wheels in Thailand (100 USD per/pair, incl hubs), and they lasted almost two years on bad roads in SE Asia, until spokes started to pop in the rear, and two of them tore through the hub flange.

Still, I managed many hundreds of Km's to Phnom Penh, with a badly wiggling rear wheel. I gather these Giant rims were built for a tank, and will get you home in most emergencies.

Now Giant make their wheels in the old Mavic plant i Taiwan, I've read, but only after they upgraded the production routines...

Favorite Ride:   Cambodia country-side, etc

Similar Products Used:   Giant S-R2, DT Swiss TK540

Bike Setup:   Merida T1 hybrid, used for heavy touring

Submitted by Graham a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2015

Strengths:    Value, Strength,

Weaknesses:    None so far (2,500 miles) apart from a broken spoke on a rough country lane.

Bottom Line:
I bought mine second hand for £24 to use during the bad weather. The hubs are branded Giant. I had a broken spoke - no big deal as the wheel didn't go far out of true with 28 spokes. I decided the spokes were a bit loose - being machine made they had lost tension. I tensioned the wheels and trued them in situ - using a youtube video and Sheldon for guidance. Since then I've cycled 2,500 miles over winter/spring on our rough local lanes with no problem at all. No further maintenance has been required - the hub bearings are smooth with no play. Tyres are a cinch to get on and off the rims (Vittoria Randonneur). Braking surfaces are hardly touched.
When freewheeling down hill I regularly overtake other riders using wheels which cost much more so I conclude that they roll pretty well. As for weight - well they are each 75g heavier than my Open Pro rims - that bothers me not at all since I'm 75 kilo. Remember a full water bottle weighs nearly a kilo, including holder.A spare tube weighs about 80g and a few tools the same. You omit a puncture kit at your peril round here - especially when they cut the Hawthorn hedges.
I'm sorry to hear about the guy who had cracked spoke holes but just how much tension were the spokes under? My rims are OK. In fact I've bought another set - secondhand of course - as a spare.

Favorite Ride:   Kingswinford to Shelsley Walsh

Purchased At:   Fleabay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open Pro, Shimano R501

Bike Setup:   Tifosi CK7 with Brooks Leather saddle and Tiagra/105 9 speed cassette. All built from secondhand parts

Submitted by Kim

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2015

Strengths:    None that I found.

Weaknesses:    I bought a set of these late last summer. My rear rim began cracking or splitting where the rim meets each spoke. I noticed this at several of the spoke-rim locations when the wheels were only nine months old.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MAVIC CXP-22 TO ANYBODY. THEY ARE UNSAFE.

Bottom Line:

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MAVIC CXP-22 TO ANYBODY. THEY ARE UNSAFE.

Submitted by jake4242

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2015

Strengths:    Nice looking wheel , rims are excellent and sturdy . good for most surfaces

Weaknesses:    very poor hub (Formula) , on mine, the cone covers kept working out , the wheel was replaced and the new one did exactly the same, The mechanic then glued the covers into place, which lasted a bit longer , but eventually they came out again , The wheel was then replaced with a slightly different hub and hopefully that will succeeed.

Bottom Line:
check which hub is in the wheel. if its a black hub with a silver cone cap , then id leave it.

Submitted by Roadnoob

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    Strong - Dependable - Never had issues/flats on them, but I did mount
Gatorskins tires & Bontrager tubes. (700 x18c -23c)

Weaknesses:    Noticeably heavier than a $400+ wheel. But for sub $100... what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
These came on my bike stock. Not sure what people are having issues with, but I've never has a single issue with mine. (I ride about 15-30 miles 3-4 days a week usually) most I've ridden at 1 time was 50 miles a few times. Worked fine.

Very dependable. They're quiet. Cheap, and they can haul my 200lb butt up a hill like a billy goat. I'd recommend them to anyone who just needs something that works without spending a fortune. Anyone who says they are slow, I was able to average 16-18mph on my average ride. (I know it's not much, but for a casual rider, it works)

I did go on a few club rides with my friends, was able to keep up easily when speeds went 23-30mph.

Contests