Home | Reviews | Rims | Mavic

Mavic Open Pro CD Clincher Rims

4.6/5 (15 Reviews)

The same rim used on the Mavic Helium wheels. Light weight rims for fast acceleration. Features Maxtal Aluminum for and a welded rim joint for durability.

Submitted by tfinator a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Strengths:    light, durable, flashy in the way that they are awesome, and everybody knows it.

Weaknesses:    ...

Bottom Line:
i bike to school on these every day and also ride recreationally with them. they hold up to BIG pot holes at an extremely low weight. They beat out almost all other road aluminum rims, and easily win out in a strength to weight ratio comparison. multiple people and websites have stated that they are the best general-use road-rim there is.

Favorite Ride:   on a bike

Similar Products Used:   da22 rims, weinman m3ii, other circular aluminum things

Bike Setup:   1985 schwinn frame, ultegra 10sp, mavic open with ultegra hubs

Submitted by Mike T. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2008

Strengths:    Quality rims. Perfect joint. Great graphics. Perfect anodizing.

Weaknesses:    None at all.

Bottom Line:
I use these great rims on my track bike that's ridden at the indoor Forest City Velodrome. At 50 degrees steep this track puts lots of g-force on rims and in almost two years of weekly use they have stood up perfectly. I haven't trued them once since the day they were built. Of course some of this could have something to do with the builder - me :o)

They easily allow the 140psi that I run in my Forzetta tires.

They build up easily as they are quality rims. Rims either work or they don't. If they stand up to hammering on our board track they'll be fine for road use. On my road bikes I've only used Open Pro for many years.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Have used just Open Pro rims for many years.

Bike Setup:   Marinoni Pista track. Stronglight track crankset. Campagnolo hubs and seatpost. Brooks Pro saddle. Vredestein Forzetta tires. Cinelli bars & stem. Sapim spokes.

Submitted by Jeremy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Strengths:    strong as an oax very light weight

Weaknesses:    none that I found other then it doesnt have the wow factor of the higher end designer camagnolo wheels

Bottom Line:
awesome set of rims had it on my record touring bike. I actually cracked one dont get the wrong impression I was riding at night without lights and I took a hit that almost made me lay the bike over. I still finished my training ride that night and did not realize the rim was damaged let alone cracked until I brought it to the LBS though the mechanic put it in the truing stand and it was still perfect

Favorite Ride:   The long one

Similar Products Used:   camagnolo eurus, Alex rims, rhyno lites.

Bike Setup:   was riding campy record now switched to shimano deore 105 mix

Submitted by geocan a Recreational Rider from halifax

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    Wow. Strong, light and comfortable.Not the harsh ride i was experiencing with my CXP23`s.

Weaknesses:    None to date.

Bottom Line:
Decided to upgrade wheels over the course of the winter. Did alot a research and these seemed to be the best bet for a heavy rider. I had them built laced to Ultegra hubs fitted to Vredestein Fortezza tires.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere

Purchased At:   Cyclesmith

Similar Products Used:   Been riding stock wheels...CXP23`s laced to Tiagra hubs with Michelin Axial Pro tires

Bike Setup:   2001 Devinci Silverstone, 105/Ultegra mix, Titec bar,stem and seatpost,Kinesis CF fork, Easton Ultralite Aluminum compact frame.

Submitted by zombie a Road Racer from retie, antwerp, belgium

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Strengths:    Quality, durability and price

Weaknesses:    None what so ever...

Bottom Line:
These are the best rims I've ever had.With sapim cx-ray spokes and DT Swiss Hugi 240 hubs these are also the lightest wheels I've ever had, and affordable! 1570gr and 450$ for the set. The rims are very rigid and keep in shape for a longer period of time. The brake surface is OK but not excellent (ceramic version is the best)

Favorite Ride:   Le Cricque (belgian ardennes)

Purchased At:   VdW kasterlee