Home | Reviews | Rims | Mavic

Mavic Open Pro Clincher Road Rims

3.59/5 (68 Reviews)

Open Pro is the latest version of Mavic Open rims, and as such is the most advanced evolution...

Submitted by Richard

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2013

Strengths:    Bullet proof + good specs + good price = great value

Weaknesses:    None that I know of.

Bottom Line:
These are great rims. I've ridden thousands of miles on them for the past 8 years.

I think I know why some complain about cracks and spoke creaking noises. My guess is the spokes were not properly tightened with a tension meter. I had creaking noises with Open Pro rims too, until I got a tension meter and realized that some of the spokes were loose. When I tighten them all to the right tension (or close to it), no more noises.

Here's what I think is going on... These rims are real strong for their weight. They don't deflect easily, so it's easy to have a pretty true wheel with spoke tensions that are not even. That means some spokes may be too loose (so they will creak, pop, etc.) That also means other spokes will be too tight, taking too much of the load. I suspect those are the spoke holes that might have cracked for some riders. On a lighter, weaker, more flexible rim, those mismatched tensions would make the wheel untrue, so it's less likely to happen (the rider or mechanic would notice and adjust the spoke tensions). But the Open Pros are stiff enough that they can appear true with a greater variation of spoke tensions.

As an example, I had a spoke break on a stock Trek front wheel (32 spoke), and it was immediately so untrue that I couldn't ride it. On the other hand, I had a spoke come VERY loose on an Open Pro rear wheel and I hardly noticed -- the wheel stayed true enough to ride well. (I have no clue how long it was loose; it might have been for several hundred miles.)

So long as you use a tension meter properly (or make sure your mechanic does), my bet is you won't have any trouble with these great rims.

Submitted by Rob Jacobs

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2013

Strengths:    Overall a fairly good wheel

Weaknesses:    Prone to buckling, constant truing and cracking.

Bottom Line:
Mavic Open pro wheels are generally a good performing wheel (running mine with Shimano Durace hubs) but I find they constantly need truing, dishing and don't like the odd pothole or the odd railway/Tram track. I keep them as trued as possible but find they get a bump in them which is hard to pull back. I have noticed minute cracks appearing in both wheels so I have taken them off and gone back to my Reynolds Solitude. I also found Mavic Askiums to be better. So will look for more durable rims and change them.

Submitted by Don

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely durable

Weaknesses:    not particularly light and not aero at all

Bottom Line:
I have Open Pros build on Campy Chorus hubs with 32 Wheelsmith 14/15/14 double butted spokes. Wheels were build by WS certified mechanic at my local shop. I weigh 170-180 depending on the season and I have probably 25,000 miles of New England roads on this wheelset. Wheels have stayed true with minor occasional touch-ups. No eyelet pull-out or cracking. Braking surfaces are getting pretty worn. Need to rebuild the rear wheel due to incessant spoke creak and with some rounded off nipples, I just can't balance an silence the wheel anymore. I'd keep riding the rims but it's not worth respoking so I'll replace the rims as well.

I'm thoroughly satisfied and plan to buy the same rims again. I don't believe you can beat the strength/weight balance offered by these. As all around training wheels, they're da bomb!

Submitted by Soundtallica a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    Good workhorse rim. Very tough, yet light enough to liven up the acceleration of a heavy bike. Traditional looks make it good for modernizing a vintage-styled bike. Bulletproof: I've mountain biked on these with cross tires and they've never gone out of true

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Excellent workhorse rim. I use these on my touring/cross/all-rounder steel bike. They roll decently well, and come in under 2000 grams which is very good for its type. They roll well, and are bulletproof, as I've subjected them to bad roads, dirt, and even decently technical mountain bike trails They've never gone out of true. Great wheels.

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Alex rims, Sun rims

Bike Setup:   Fuji touring that's been massaged into an all-rounder

Submitted by john a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    12000 miles without truing.

Weaknesses:    None for my riding style...perhaps a bit heavy for racing.

Bottom Line:
Rims are built up on phil wood hubs.
36 hole 3 cross. I have ~12000 miles on them. These are the straight silver rims not the anodized ones. I weight more than 220 lbs and I ride city streets with potholes and all that crap.

Similar Products Used:   Every brand since 1970 Weinmnan , wolber , superchampion etc.

Bike Setup:   Old steel specialized that still has a freewheel. Think old school. Phil hubs and BB Sugino compact crank. Ultegra drive train. Of course Brooks saddle and shifters on the downtebe where they belong.