Home | Reviews | Rims | Mavic

Mavic Reflex Tubular Rims

3.38/5 (13 Reviews)

• Store Price

The same rim used on the Mavic Helium wheels. Light weight. Maxtal Aluminum, machined braking surface, and a welded rim joint for better durability. 32 hole.

Submitted by Jeff HS a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    durable, true and light

Weaknesses:    none that I have found

Bottom Line:
I had these built at my local shop with DT Swiss 240s and double butted spokes. I about 5,000 miles on them and have raced them one season. I had no problems with cracking, as some have described and I am 6' and weigh 185. They have remained true and I am looking to build another set with Chris King hubs

Favorite Ride:   Trek Madone 5.0

Purchased At:   Beacon Cycling and F

Bike Setup:   campy record 10 shifters with dura ace rear derailuer using a shiftmate, brooks swallow

Submitted by Wheel Right a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2008

Strengths:    Advertised weight is light at 375gr, but my set weighed in over 400gr.

Weaknesses:    The rims crack under normal use.

Bottom Line:
In 6 months I have replaced 4 rear rims. Wheels are built to spec with proper tension, even across all drive side spokes, and even across all nds spokes. Basically, the spokes simply pull the eyelets through the aluminum of the rim. It always seems to happen on a climb or sprint. I rode up Mt Tam via Alpine Road, by the time I was at the top, 4 eyelets were pulled through and many cracks were opening up between eyelet holes. Other failures occurred in similar fashion . . . Hard ride, and by the end of the ride, the eyelets failed . . . 4 times in only 6 months of riding. Awful!

Favorite Ride:   Outside . . . these rollers are boring!

Similar Products Used:   Ambrosio, Velocity Escape (bombproof & light)

Bike Setup:   Custom Frame. SRAM Red Gruppo. Sturdy PRO bar & stem. Fizik saddle. Thompson Elite post, King headset, speedplay zero SS pedals. Yokozuna cables. Vittoria tires.

Submitted by funkdaddy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2008

Strengths:    strength, weight

Bottom Line:
I'm surprised to hear about the problems reported on these rims - I wonder how well-built those wheels were. I have a set of 32h reflex tubulars on dura-ace hubs that have been my race wheelset for cyclocross for 5 years. They are still my favorite racing wheels and are still true after hundreds of punishing miles of cross racing in all conditions.

BTW if you are picky enough to choose to have you wheels built up from rims, spokes, and hubs, go the extra distance and choose a good wheelbuilder to make them...

Similar Products Used:   Velocity Escape Tubulars, Mavic Helium Tubulars

Submitted by looksurly a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2008

Strengths:    Light, stiff, durable.

Weaknesses:    Not too aero. But that's not why you get box section rims.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding rims. I use them on both my commuter (a fixed gear cross bike) and my racing bike. Fairly bombproof. About 5000 km on one set and just got a new set for my racing bike.

Purchased At:   Excel Sports Boulder

Similar Products Used:   Ambrosio

Bike Setup:   14/17 g revolution spokes with Record hubs. 1500 g for the set including skewers.

Submitted by ewgoforth a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    nothing special

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
These rims stink. I weigh 162 lbs and have them built with 14 straight gauge spokes.

The first set lasted several years, then the back one started cracking around the eyelets (the front one is still fine). I bought a used Reflex off Ebay and built it to a reduced tension 90 Kg as I found recommended on the Internet.

It cracked after a few months, I figured that it might have been built too high previously, so I bought another one, it cracked after a few months (built to 90 kg on the drive side). These rims have an ERD that's a little odd for a box section rim, so once you've built up a set of wheels with Reflex rims, you're stuck with them, unless you want to change all your spokes.

Therefore, I decided to try one more time, and this rim's started cracking after less than 2000 miles. This stinks!

I'll be shopping around, but I'll probably have to buy all new spokes.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic GP4, Mavic GL 330, Fir Isidis, Campy Victory, Wolber Aspin. All built by me and none of these cracked, ever!

Mavic Reflex tubular rim ERD?

Hey, Can anyone tell me definitively the ERD for a Mavic Reflex tubular rim? The Mavic website does not say, and a google search yields inconsistent results. (Cross posted to Cyclocross) Thanks!Read More »

ERD of Mavic Reflex tubular rims?

Hey, Can anyone tell me definitively the ERD for a Mavic Reflex tubular rim? The Mavic website does not say, and a google search yields inconsistent results. (Cross posted to Wheels and Tires) Thanks!Read More »

Comments on tubular build - Ambrosio, Reflex, Escape or ?

I am 180lb and do a lot of climbing. I am looking to have some light aluminum rimmed tubulars built for everyday use but can't decide which rims. 1. Velocity Escape (~380 grams) 2. Ambrosio Crono F20 (~340 grams) 3. Mavic Reflex (~375 grams) Are there any offset rear tubular rims? I am l ... Read More »