Home | Reviews | Rims | Mavic

Mavic T 520 Rims

SUP welded rims, double eyelets. Braking efficiency : UB Control with a wear indicator or Ceramic 2.

Weight : 565g

Submitted by Seth Horwitt a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Strengths:    Very strong wheel!

Weaknesses:    The thing is dang heavy but what do you expect? I've got this as my rear wheel. I have a 16 spoke WH-535 on the front with 2600 miles on it. When it goes, I think I'll get a Mavic Open Pro CD as a replacement. Even with all the abuse my bike gets, I think that this wheel might be a bit overkill on the front. It's got a few extra spokes and quite a few more grams than I need. I don't know yet. I like riding fast, but It sure is nice pounding through a pothole with a smile on my face!

Bottom Line:
I bought the T520 on a 105 hub for my Bianchi Axis cyclocross bike after I converted the bike into a commuter by adding racks and panniers. The bike came with Shimano WH-535 which held up very well for about 2400 miles. After hitting a pothole really hard one night (before adding the rack), I noticed a flat spot in the rear rim. Rather than ruin the wheel completely, I bought the T520.

After 250 miles of pounding to work and back, day and night, rain or shine I pulled the wheel of to true it tonight and it barely had a wobble. At 200 lbs, plus 10-30 lbs of cargo I was amazed at how well the wheel has done. Riding at night through traffic, it's really hard to avoid road hazards and I occasionally find myself pounding over some pretty serious stuff. Even with all of the weight on the bike the wheel seems to be no worse for wear. I'm really pleased with it!

Favorite Ride:   Away from the kids!

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 535

Bike Setup:   XT, 105, Sugio cranks, WTB saddle, avid brakes and a bunch of other stuff

Submitted by BentheadTX a Commuter from Texas

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, no maintenance, double walls with stainless eyelets that secure both of the walls. Nice design with excellent braking ability.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit heavy at 565 grams, but I need it to be bomb-proof

Bottom Line:
I use this rim as part of a Shimano 105 hub/36 spoke DT build-up on a SWB recumbent. The rim has not complained after being subjected to off-road, over curbs and general mayhem. Never has needed trueing and takes the wide 35x700C tires I use

Purchased At:   Nashbar