Home | Reviews | Rims | Shimano

Shimano 105/Mavic CXP-21 Rims

3.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Genuine Shimano 105 8/9-spd hub, laced to semi-aero Mavic CXP-21 rim with machined sidewalls for improved braking power. Silver anodized rims are complimented by silver 14/15G spokes and brass nipples. Includes skewers.

Submitted by mark welch a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Strengths:    price(paid 16$)
build up very well

Weaknesses:    very week vertically(spent alot of time keeping this thing round over the years)

Bottom Line:
I built up a 32 hole half radial track rear wheel with one these rims. Its basically a dumbed down version of the cxp 22. I've ridden on it for about two years and a couple thousand miles. Its done the job but is reaching the end of its troubled life. The breaking surface has worn away faster than many other mavic rims I've had. it has at least three flat spots from hitting pot holes in milwaukee. It does not true very well after taking these hits from pot holes but with some diligence its still remains very true considering how really banged up it is. Unless you snag one of these for real cheap and dont ride in a pot hole ridden city like milwaukee I would not recommend one of these rims.

Purchased At:   truly spoken cycles

Similar Products Used:   cxp 22
sun m14a

Bike Setup:   1987 cannondale fixie

Submitted by Mike Mitchell a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Handle the bumps like a mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    I am 200lbs and to this point I can not find a weakness in these rims.

Bottom Line:
I have road the CXP 21 with out a problem. I ride on all kinds of terrain and in all kinds of weather. I am by the coast so you never know what the marine layer will do. I love them.

Favorite Ride:   Land Shark

Purchased At:   Land Shark

Similar Products Used:   CXP 22, and an older Mavic 44.

Bike Setup:   57cm, Shimano components, aero bars.

Submitted by Paul a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    I like the red/black color, and the ride was great until the wheels gave out.

Bottom Line:
Not impressed! First set degraded quickly (1500 miles), spokes kept breaking on front, rear rim warped in an emergency slide to avoid a car that was about to pull out of a gas station in front of me.

Front wheel on second set is good after about 2000 miles, but the rear rim is fracturing at several spoke holes. At 220 lbs, I am heavier that most riders, but of all my bikes, this is the first time wheels have suffered this kind of fracture.

Submitted by emckee a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Strengths:    105 hub = good performance for not too much $$$

Weaknesses:    heavy rim which cracked way too early.

Bottom Line:
I received these wheels as stock on my OCR 1 two years ago (no, I didn't pay $900 for just the wheels). They're kindof heavy, about 2.2kg for the set.

However: After less than 10,000 km, I have found signs of stress fatigue cracking around the spoke holes in the rim. I'm not that heavy of a rider (78-80 kg) so they should've lasted a lot longer.

The 105 hubs are definitely the highlight of the wheelset. It's a great hub that doesn't way much more than the DA hubs (about 44g) for a fraction of the price. Maintenance on the hubs has been a dream (ie, no maintenance required).

Final analysis: Good hubs, lousy rims. Keep looking.

Favorite Ride:   Hills!