Velocity Deep V Rims

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Deep cross-section for strength, aerodynamics, and reliability with machined sidewalls for improved braking performance. This is a great road racing or triathlon rim!

Submitted by jimmy fb1

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2016

Strengths:    Had a deep v 36 hole built at emery's to replace the rear wheel that came with my bike. My brother in law did the same. We have had no issues with our wheels now. They are solid and are still running true. We run 700 x 25 Gator skins @ 110 psi. and have 2000 plus miles on them. We both are over 200 lb riders so if your looking for a big boy wheel this is a good choice.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend deep v for big boys over 200 lbs.

Submitted by bigjohnla

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2012

Strengths:    Super solid, smooth rolling.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see

Bottom Line:
I am a big, 270 pound guy. A wheels worse nightmare !! I broke a number of spokes on my stock Trek Bontrager rear wheel and was getting tired of replacing spokes. My repair guy recommended the 36 spoke Velocity Deep V with a sealed bearing Velocity hub. I have 2000 miles on this wheel and it has been through hell and back. It is still a true as the day I received it and absolutely perfect. A great wheel

Submitted by Doug Peterson a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2009

Strengths:    Really strong.

Weaknesses:    Too narrow to be a great touring rim. Since the biggest tire you can mount is 32 or 35mm, it's merely a good touring rim. I wouldn't do a long self supported tour on them.

Bottom Line:
Pretty nice. I commute daily with them with long rides and a few loaded tours in between. They remain perfectly true, which is nice since I've been plagued by wheel troubles until these rims.

Even with my 200lb weight and fifty pounds of gear on the read of the bike I have zero issues -- add all the rough dirt I ride on loaded and I can't complain.

However, at one point the rear rim was dented, but I used pliers to straighten it out more or less. No issues.

The anodizing seems to scratch very, very easily, however. Good thing I enjoy the weathered look.

Favorite Ride:   Hurricane Ridge

Purchased At:   Wright Bros.

Similar Products Used:   Velocity Aerohead OC, an assortment of crappy rims before that.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Aurora tourbike. The rims are laced fourcross to Ultegra hubs. Running a 35mm tire in the rear and a 28 in front. Both Panaracer.

Submitted by FreuderLocks a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2009

Strengths:    Reasonably light (its a single speed anyway), impeccably true, rock solid, flashy as hell.

Weaknesses:    If you have found one please inform me!

Bottom Line:
I really love my Deep V's (red machined frnt, non rear) they are absolutely bomb proof! Built properly qith a .003" runout on both front and rear wheels, they roll unbeleivably true. They have been put through some torture as well, curb hops, potholes and all that wonderful colorado weather. Bombproof.

Favorite Ride:   1984 nishiki Olympic 12 SS conversion

Purchased At:   somewhere around her

Bike Setup:   I purchased my Nishiki a few years ago, and then never rode it until this spring. I converted it to a single speed (still has front brake) with a flip flop formula Hub (gold front and back) with Phil wood spokes, KBC yellow chain, red Pake Cranks and Red velocity Deep V's (Machined front, machined rear

Submitted by evafrazier a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Strengths:    Bombproof.
Attention-getting sexy wheels!

Weaknesses:    Braking surface is NOISY.
Painted surface is fragile.

Bottom Line:
I built up a pair of single speed wheels using surly hubs and pink deep-v rims. These wheels went together pretty well (deep rims can be a pain for getting nipples onto spokes). These wheels seem bombproof. I'm a lightweight (125 lb) woman, but I can load this thing up with groceries and haven't had a problem yet. My only issue has been noisy braking.

Favorite Ride:   city traffic