Shimano Dura-Ace Skewers

• Store Price

Stainless Steel

Submitted by Notgoodbutslow a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    No bruises on the palms trying to tighten them. Never any issues with the dreaded crank 'knock' that comes from a less-than-tight rear skewer. Modern QR's have taken a step back in my opinion.

Weaknesses:    None, except for bling-bling and that the skewers are expensive if not purchased with the hubs. Probably a little heavier than some, but I choose ergonomics and durability over weight and style.

Bottom Line:
I've had these skewers for 19 years. I bought them from PBS with a set of DA hubs when they were a closet shop in Carrboro, NC.
When I swap my wheels, I always use these skewers. They were made for 126mm dropouts, but they will adjust for 130mm. I wish the 7800 skewers were more available/affordable. I would buy a couple of sets.

Favorite Ride:   dairylands

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Velomax and others (common external cam skewers used on many wheels), Campagnolo Victory, Super Record (also excellent) Internal cams are the way to go.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR comp, DA7800 group, Thomson stem and SP, Velomax Orion IIs

Submitted by sherpa_boy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Strengths:    Light, smooth and beautiful

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I believe it is one of the best skewers on the market. It has a beautiful finish and it's light. The lever action is smooth and easy to use. I wish Mavic could make skewers as good as these.

Favorite Ride:   Canadian Rockies

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Composite - Road

Bike Setup:   Look KG243, Dura Ace 9 spd, Mavic Open Pro, Chris King Hubs, Cinelli Solida/Solido

Submitted by Shaun Au a Recreational Rider from Cupertino

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2000

Strengths:    So easy to open and close. Beautiful finish. Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Haven't notice any.

Bottom Line:
I got them with the hubs for a total of $80(hubs and skewers were all brand new in box) at a bike swap meet. Definitely a killer deal. I build them up with a pair of Sun rims and DT 14/15 spokes as training wheels. The skewer levers and mechanism are so well designed. The cams in the lever are so smooth. It'effortless to open and close. The levers are ergonomically designed. They don't hurt your fingers like other after market CNC machined skewers with sharp corners.

I would not buy them seperately from Colorado Cyclist or Excel because they are expensive. However, if you can buy them with your hub purchase at a good price, then these are the best bang for the buck skewers out there.

Favorite Ride:   hilly hundred

Similar Products Used:   Specialized. Ultegra, 105, etc.

Bike Setup:   custom Steelman Renolds 853. Full Dura-Ace, 7700 16 spoke wheelset.