DT Swiss Revolution Spokes

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Application: ultra light wheels for Road, Track and Mountain bikes Material: X5 Cr Ni 18/10, 1.4301 Tensile strength: 1000 - 1100 N / mm² (mid-area up to 1200 N / mm²) Thread: rolled Packaging: 72, 500 (BLACK: 72) Advantages: light, stability under loads, mid-area acts as spring Certificate: DIN 79.100

Submitted by Oswald

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight
Supercheap on most online sites
Classic look

Weaknesses:    Too thin for rear DS use.
May need retrueing sometimes depending on spoke pattern.

Bottom Line:
I have these on almost all of my wheels, both xc and road. I love them because they cost significantly less then the more fancy blades spokes. Almost 1/3 of the price... I do have problems with them on 1 of my roadsets. It's laced radially NDS and needs to be trued from time to time. Front is also laced radially on that set and needs less retrueing. I recommend crossing them 2x.

Submitted by Fred R a Road Racer from Bakersfield, CA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, light, cheaper than TI and without the constant adjustment as TI.

Weaknesses:    I have not found any yet!

Bottom Line:
At first I was hesitant to try these thinner lighter spokes but I did and I do not regret it. I have had no problems with them at all! I have not even had to adjust them yet! Now maybe thats due to 36 spokes per wheel instead of the newer 24 or even 32 I don't know; but I do know I can feel the difference in the lighter wheels. I also no longer hear the whirl the old spokes made at higher speed which leads me to believe the new ones are more efficient at slicing through the wind, either that or I getting older and my hearing has degraded!

Favorite Ride:   RoundMountain Rd.

Purchased At:   The Finish Line (local store)

Similar Products Used:   DT straight gauge spokes.

Bike Setup:   80's Trek 660 Rey 531 with Suntour Superbe group. The wheels are Torelli with 36 hole Superbe hubs.

Submitted by Bob Owen a Recreational Rider from St. George, UT

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, light. Cheaper and better than ti.

Weaknesses:    Expensive for steel spokes, but Colorado Cyclist sells them for $.60 and they may be even cheaper elsewhere. (Email me if you know where.)

Bottom Line:
The best value overall for front and nondrive rear spokes. Spokes almost always break at the ends, why not radically butt them in the middle? The smoothness of the butting transition helps prevent stress risers and subsequent fractures. Wheelsmith spokes have more abrupt butting.

You can feel the difference a lighter wheelset makes. The farther the weight is from the hub, the more difference it makes in reducing rotational inertia so spokes, nipples and lightweight rims make a much bigger difference than hubs and skewers.

The exceptions to my above endorsement would be if your style/terrain throws things into the spokes like rocks, sticks, etc. Then you definitely should use a heavier butted spoke like DT Competition. MTB disc brake users shouldn't use Revolutions on the brake side either. I believe that straight gauge spokes are a waste of time and so do Jobst Brandt and Gerd Schraner.

Favorite Ride:   Cedar/Enterprise/St. George

Similar Products Used:   Other DT and Wheelsmith spokes.

Bike Setup:   59 cm Litespeed Palmares. Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, King headset, Campy Record 10 speed gruppo. Litespeed ti stem and seatpost, ITM Millennium bar Speedplay X/1 pedals.

Submitted by Will from Baton Rouge

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2000

Strengths:    stealthy good looks, tried and true, strong spoke

Weaknesses:    no one belives they are butted until you get out a crescent wrench and show them

Bottom Line:
For a traditional metalspoke, there are very impressive. The best part is that on on Euro bikes, the butting is not apparant and does not draw attention to itself. With the ever growing popularity of specalty wheelsets such as SPOX an tseriums (however you spell it), many are forgetting about the stealthy abilities a traditional wire spoked wheel can offer.

Similar Products Used:   wheelsmith machined db spokes,

Bike Setup:   coloradocyclist custom wheelset

UNUSUALvintage KNOOPS with revolution crank Dt-swiss bladed spokes

Hi, I have a knoops italian made vintage bike with unusual parts. Can some help me identify the crack it just says revolution but have never seen it before nor the seat post. Thanks AP[ATTACH=CONFIG]279137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]279138[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]279139[/ATTACH]Read More »

CHRIS DORNER: Crazed Killer or 1 man Armed Revolution

in light of all the gun threads and the reasoning behind owning them (to stave off a govt gone awry) Well in Dorner's eyes they govt is already there. He's simply exercising his second amendment right. Yeah, he's killing cops and their families. Well if the govt went awry who would you be shooting ... Read More »

Revolution against McQuaid/Verbuggen

[url=http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/analysis/op-ed-mercier-calls-for-revolution-against-mcquaid-verbruggen_240537?utm_medium=whats-hot]Op-ed: Mercier calls for revolution against McQuaid, Verbruggen[/url] One thing we can all agree onRead More »

LeMond Revolution

Has anyone used the LeMond Revolution enough for a "long term" review? I'm curious to know if it would be worth upgrading my Blackburn Mag trainer this winter.Read More »

Rig Lemond Revolution to use Gamin cadence sensor???

Pardon me if this question has been asked and answered in which case please point me to the thread. I'm just got the Lemond Revolution and don't really want to shell out the bucks for the computer/power meter. I'd like to keep track of my cadence and distance if possible. Has anyone figured out h ... Read More »