Avocet Carbon 12 Tires - Clincher

• Features a new proprietory trendy compound
  • Rolling resistance gives more speed
  • High mileage compound

Submitted by drumandbake a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Durability, grip, consistency.

Weaknesses:    Pricey, but what isn't?
Impossible to find locally.

Bottom Line:
Tires were recommended by riding buddy and mechanic. Ordered the SLK's direct from Avocet (received prompt, polite service). They are a firm but easy mount, offer a great ride (~100 psi) and have proven to be both durable and reliable (no cuts, no flats) over New England roads (paved and unpaved).

Favorite Ride:   The former Stowe Bike Race loop

Purchased At:   Direct from Avocet

Similar Products Used:   Vredestein Fortezza
Continental GP 3000
Michelin Pro Race
Hutchinson Carbon Comp

Bike Setup:   '02 Jamis Eclipse, IF steel fork, 9 sp Dura Ace/Ultegra mix, Mavic Ksyrium SL, Thomson stem & post, FSA bars, Serfas saddle, Speedplay X-2's

Submitted by johnnyhowell a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    Grippy in both wet and dry. Good road feel. Punctureless - great for city riding where glass get in the way. I got these for durability, and changed them after

Weaknesses:    260 grams with wire bead, will try the 220g Kevlar next. Should be great.

Road feel not as good as the (much) lighter VeloFlex, but confident in high speed cornering.

Hard to find!

Bottom Line:
FINALLY - this tire series got added.

Tire reviewed Carbon 12 K 700x23 (wire bead). I think these are great tires, and I will return to using them just as soon as my VeloFlex Pave/Black need changing at the end of the summer. I will likely go with the SLK model, which is Kevlar belt and bead. Bought these on recommendation of riders in LBS, who found these durable and flat-free. I think that slicks like these are very grippy, and I am happy with them overall.

Favorite Ride:   Prospect Park Loop (Brooklyn)

Purchased At:   LBS - Bicycle Habita