Avocet Cross K 32 Tires - Clincher

4.75/5 (16 Reviews)

Cross tire with inverted tread lets you ride on pavement or dirt roads. Inverted tread creates up to 30% less rolling resistance than knobbys on pavement, yet provides enough traction for trail rides. Kevlar shield interwoven into the tire makes it puncture-resistant. Great for city streets or packed trails.

Submitted by smokey422 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    Wear characteristics, rolling resistance, performance on paved and unpaved roads, resistance to flats, pretty easy to mount.

Weaknesses:    They are no longer available as Avocet is out of the tire market.

Bottom Line:
I lost track of the mileage I have on these tires because my computer died but rest assured it's quite a lot. They still have quite a bit of tread left and I've never had a flat (hope I don't jinx myself with that last statement). They roll reasonably fast on pavement and are also good on gravel roads and light dry trails. They mount fairly easily and are available in several sizes. Unfortunately, they are no longer made, which I don't understand at all because they were a great tire.

Favorite Ride:   Rolling MO hills, Katy Trail along MO river

Purchased At:   Harris Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Michelins (forgot model), Continental Town and Country, stock Bontrager knobbies.

Bike Setup:   2001 Lemond Poprad Cyclocross bike, Avocet K32 tires, Brooks B-17 saddle, bar-end shifters, 48-36-24 Sugino triple crank, Nashbar 11-28 cassette (for my 250# Clyde body on these steep MO hills), Rivendell Little Joe saddlebag, Kool-Stop salmon brake pads.

Submitted by Josh Sherman a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Strengths:    This has been my first mountain bike and I had these Cross II Ks put on the bike day one - what i can say is that i had not had a single flat in three years and the tread after 700 miles looks good - at this point there are some small cracks on the side walls out nothing major.

My Specialized Pro Mondo road bike tires had not held up (on my road bike) anywhere near as well as the Avocets (on my mountian bike) where the Avocets are an extra year older and have at least an extra 30% more milage.

Weaknesses:    Not much to complain about - would not mind seeing a reflective ring/marking around the sidewalls of the tires for those of us that use this inverted tread product to navigate city streets.

Bottom Line:
Have had the Avocet Cross II 26 x 1.9 K's on my Stumpjumper for about 3 years and about 700 miles. These tires have held up well.

I have ridden extensively in NYC and have gone without a flat for 3 years (once i removed no-flat liners that were given to me - they created some internal friction on the innertube).

The tread works well for the street and dirt path trails that i ride.

Next go round i think i would go down a width to the 1.5s.

Favorite Ride:   Arcadia National Park - Gravel Road Trail System ME.

Purchased At:   Cosmic cycle

Bike Setup:   1995 Specialized Stumpjumper FS, Rock Shock Mag 21, Deore XT Brakes and Derailers, X-Ray Grip shifters, Easton Carbon Small Riser Monkey Bar, Shimano Deore LX Crank - 48 tooth w/Outside Bearings (larger big ring great for communters)and Avocet Cross II 26 X 1.9 K's

Submitted by RoadLoad a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2007

Strengths:    The tread pattern is inverted (I think that's the right term?) so what is touching the road is really very smooth without the drag that occurs with more aggressive tread patterns.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of. The grey sidewall has grown on me.

Bottom Line:
I have used these tires for 5 weeks or about 600 miles worth of commuting and these tires are great! I have 700X32s on an all steel frame at about 100 lbs psi and they just swallow up the road noise. My ride is very smooth.

I plan to try these tires on dry cyclocross courses this fall. I think they'll work just fine.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere I get to go.

Similar Products Used:   Can't think of all the various brands and models - usually what ever is on sale. These are the first tires I researched and spent more than $20 per tire for.

Bike Setup:   2001 Jamis Nova. Dura Ace 9 speed set up. Supergo Corsa wheels.

Submitted by remy123 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Strengths:    Good grip, good roll, durable, cheap

Weaknesses:    Always want things lighter, not as much climbing grip as a full knobby on steep loose climbs(but more than you'd expect).

Bottom Line:
These things are great! I put them on my MTB so I could try out some mixed street and trail rides and what a blast!
I ride sidewalks, roads, grass, dirt, fire roads and singletrack. I could probably go faster on a road bike w/ slicks--but I can't tell the diff without a computer; I can't climb super steep walls or muddy steeps, but I can go up stuff you wouldn't expect and descending is pretty good once you get used to paying attention, rather than relying on knobbies to stick. 95% of off road is faster because you spin so well.
The best thing is you can go anywhere at any time and not even think about it. Change your mind in the middle of a ride? No problem.
These have led me to set up a new kind of bike--I don't know what you call it, maybe a hybred on steroids. Long travel(5") Giant NRS with drop bars and higher stem position, crosstop brakes, travel agents, vbrakes, road levers. Super adjustable and LOTS of fun. Reenergized my riding after lots of years and it started with these tires.

Favorite Ride:   anything at all

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   See the review

Submitted by Jose Tablante a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent on pavement and cornering. Quite respectable in light gravel road. Very good in wet weather. Rolling resistance is almost negligible and handles like a road bike. Ideal for cross country and recreational bikers.

Weaknesses:    No longer available in the Philippines. No suitable for muddy or sandy surface. Those who are more offroad purists should not use this as they will be disappointed.

Bottom Line:
I was one of the first cross country bikers in my country more than 10 years ago to switch from knobbies to Avocet Cross almost a year after I purchased my Diamond Back Apex LE in 1991. I don't bike hard but I bike in pavement almost 3 times a week and ever since the tires are still in excellent running condition and have suffered a flat only once. The flat was due to the tube's defective valve but not from any puncture. I haven't changed tires since then.

Favorite Ride:   concrete and asphalt pavement and occasional gravel road

Purchased At:   Manila, Philippines

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   1991 Diamond Back Apex LE with Shimano Deore DX components. Original tires were 2.0 Panaracer Timbuktu which I replaced with 1.5 in Avocet Cross after 9 months.