Bontrager R2 Road Tires - Clincher

2.53/5 (15 Reviews)

• Light and durable 60 tpi casing
  • Bontrager-exclusive aero wings for advanced aerodynamics
  • Integrated sub-tread puncture protection

Submitted by Patrick

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2016

Strengths:    None given how dangerous they are on wet roads

Weaknesses:    Dangerous tire on wet roads. Don't even think of using those.

Bottom Line:
Have ridden other slick tires on both wet and dry roads and never had an issue. First ride on those on barely wet roads led to a nice slip/crash. Really slippery when wet

Submitted by keith

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2016

Strengths:    I have been getting these tires for the past 7 years, each set has lasted me almost 5,000 miles before the tread shows. I do little riding in the rain (only if I'm caught), but always slow down when coming to a curve. I paid $34.99 each.

Weaknesses:    Any tire that has a smooth surface will be a risk when doing curves/corners.

Bottom Line:
They last a whole season (4,000 - 5,000 miles). I don't race, but do alot of century/metric rides with several clubs. It works for me.

Purchased At:   Bontrager online

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone

Submitted by MistaMike99er a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2015

Strengths:    Great "Dry" Tyres for under $30.00@ . They have a nice ride and super grip for the money. I love my Bonnie's---I used to only buy cheap, two for $18.00 Kmart/Walmart tyres and the improvement has been night&g'day. If money is an issue, buy near new on the Internet. Since I don't ride unless it's perfect weather, the Bonnie's are a good choice!!!

Weaknesses:    Don't even THINK of riding these in wet weather!!! I mean, if the rider in front of you spits on the ground, get off and walk yer bike!!! I had sprinklers go on while I was on the sidewalk and dumped the bike down a 30 degree revene---ouch!!! It's like my Miata, I roll on UHP summer tyres, not all season radials. I know better not to frolic in the rain or snow in summer tyres!!!

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for. I ride a 1989 Champaigne La Tour that is highly prized on the used Schwinn market. Can I afford better? Absolutely. Will I buy another bike? Probably not. I like going inside a store and not worrying about having my lock cut and my $3,000 bike go missing. Sacramento where bolt cutters are King and every homeless guy has a nice bike!!!

For a good, $30.00 tyre, the Bontragger Race All seasons (2x$50.00) or these R2s (2x$60) are hard to beat. If I had a nicer bike, sure, I'd roll with Connies or Mitches---but I don't. The Bonnie's aren't racing tyres, they are economy touring tyres. You get what you pay for!!!

Favorite Ride:   the paved, gated levy road at Natomas

Purchased At:   Dino's bike shoppe,

Similar Products Used:   Kmart/Walmart Bell tyres!!! Didn't know any better!!! I now know you ARE your bike tyres---Economize elsewhere!!!

Bike Setup:   1989 Schwinn Champaigne La Tour with box in rear. Since I ride at night, I roll with Night Riders (600 lines front; 2watts blinking rears, gel seat. Sun tour Blaze components (sucks, I know)!!! I'm late middle age. I golf, hit the gym and ride at night 10-20 miles for the 'runners high'.

Submitted by Eric de Heer

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2015

Strengths:    Good in the dry

Weaknesses:    The worst in the wet

Bottom Line:
I bought my trek madone 4.5 with the R2s just before the summer and didnt do much cycling in the rain, so didnt notice the bad bad handling until I hit my first shower at the end of the summer, and lost grip completly at 25km/h on just the simplest of corner.... if you ever buy a trek, make sure you have the shop replace these tyres!!!

Submitted by Steven Higgins a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2014

Strengths:    Good grip, Longevity, puncture protection.

Bottom Line:
Great Tyre, have done 9500km on these without any problems - No punctures. They handle very well in the wet and have no problems at all in the wettest conditions with handling. Corner great and roll very well. Would recommend

Favorite Ride:   Trek Domane 4.7