Bontrager R2 Road Tires - Clincher

2.42/5 (12 Reviews)

• Light and durable 60 tpi casing
  • Bontrager-exclusive aero wings for advanced aerodynamics
  • Integrated sub-tread puncture protection

Submitted by Eric de Heer

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2015

Strengths:    Good in the dry

Weaknesses:    The worst in the wet

Bottom Line:
I bought my trek madone 4.5 with the R2s just before the summer and didnt do much cycling in the rain, so didnt notice the bad bad handling until I hit my first shower at the end of the summer, and lost grip completly at 25km/h on just the simplest of corner.... if you ever buy a trek, make sure you have the shop replace these tyres!!!

Submitted by Steven Higgins a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2014

Strengths:    Good grip, Longevity, puncture protection.

Bottom Line:
Great Tyre, have done 9500km on these without any problems - No punctures. They handle very well in the wet and have no problems at all in the wettest conditions with handling. Corner great and roll very well. Would recommend

Favorite Ride:   Trek Domane 4.7

Submitted by Geert

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2014

Strengths:    Great dry surface traction, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Dangerous on wet surfaces and easy puncturable

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a website like this with reviews about this Bontrager tires because i slipped away in a wet turn with minimal speed. Before i hit the road with my new bike (Trek Madone 4.5) i checked the Bontrager website to discover what kind of tires they had put on my new bike, i couldn't find any information about the traction related to weather influences. So I thought they might be good enough for use in slightly wet weather. I had my bike only two days and on my 2nd ride i slipped away in a slightly wet turn and i had one flat tire (in 65km). Though, these tires improved my bikehandling in turns on dry roads, but I'll put on different ones before or after bad weather. I can't accept they put these tires on new bikes!

Submitted by Eelke de Gelder

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2014

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Very easy puncturable. Got 3 flats in 80 kilometer!
Bad grip on every surface that is not completely dry.

Bottom Line:
Worst tire I have ever had. A shame to sell this tire at all, and a big shame for this prize. Replaced it after 80 k, which makes it 0,30 € per k.

Submitted by DAn

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff, good tread wear

Weaknesses:    tough to mount, stiff sidewalls

Bottom Line:
I got these on a set of used Bontrager wheels to act as a second set for commuting. After riding these tires I switched them for an old pair of Conti UltraSports (both are 23's). These tires are very stiff, a bit tough to mount (I prefer to be able to hand roll my tires) and I did need to use my tire irons to remount - not something I want on the road if I'm in a hurry. Ride is a lot stiffer than I like since I prefer a tire that has a little more road feel and give. I'll run these on my spare bike until they wear out but will stick to Continentals or Schwalbe especially at the listed price.