Bontrager R2 Road Tires - Clincher

2.2/5 (10 Reviews)

• Light and durable 60 tpi casing
  • Bontrager-exclusive aero wings for advanced aerodynamics
  • Integrated sub-tread puncture protection

Submitted by Geert

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2014

Strengths:    Great dry surface traction, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Dangerous on wet surfaces and easy puncturable

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a website like this with reviews about this Bontrager tires because i slipped away in a wet turn with minimal speed. Before i hit the road with my new bike (Trek Madone 4.5) i checked the Bontrager website to discover what kind of tires they had put on my new bike, i couldn't find any information about the traction related to weather influences. So I thought they might be good enough for use in slightly wet weather. I had my bike only two days and on my 2nd ride i slipped away in a slightly wet turn and i had one flat tire (in 65km). Though, these tires improved my bikehandling in turns on dry roads, but I'll put on different ones before or after bad weather. I can't accept they put these tires on new bikes!

Submitted by Eelke de Gelder

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2014

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Very easy puncturable. Got 3 flats in 80 kilometer!
Bad grip on every surface that is not completely dry.

Bottom Line:
Worst tire I have ever had. A shame to sell this tire at all, and a big shame for this prize. Replaced it after 80 k, which makes it 0,30 € per k.

Submitted by DAn

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff, good tread wear

Weaknesses:    tough to mount, stiff sidewalls

Bottom Line:
I got these on a set of used Bontrager wheels to act as a second set for commuting. After riding these tires I switched them for an old pair of Conti UltraSports (both are 23's). These tires are very stiff, a bit tough to mount (I prefer to be able to hand roll my tires) and I did need to use my tire irons to remount - not something I want on the road if I'm in a hurry. Ride is a lot stiffer than I like since I prefer a tire that has a little more road feel and give. I'll run these on my spare bike until they wear out but will stick to Continentals or Schwalbe especially at the listed price.

Submitted by marhot

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2013

Strengths:    -low rolling resistance
-dry traction acceptable

Weaknesses:    -puncture easy
-longevity
-wet traction

Bottom Line:
This tire came on my Domane 6.9. I can't believe Trek equipped such a cheap tire on a high end bike.

First cut after 200 miles on smooth, clean roads. A small stone cut deep, easily.

Handling is acceptable --but only in perfect dry conditions. On wet roads this tire is scary.
Rough roads --it's okay, if you slow down. Way down. Just not acceptable.

I guess this tire would be okay on a $800 bike.

Submitted by phil ginniver a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Strengths:    easy to put on very lightweight

Weaknesses:    poor puncture resistance no grip in wet

Bottom Line:
brought these tires after stock tires wore out after 3000 miles which were specialized monos fitted to my tarmac carbon sl
2 and didnt have one single puncture.the bontis punctured after 60 miles .these tires are next to useless in the wet rear wheel spinning when out of the saddle going up hill.and the handling not confidence inspiring when decending at speed.would not buy anymore tires from bontrager.

Purchased At:   je james chesterfiel

Similar Products Used:   specialized mono tires.specilized Infinity.