Bontrager R2 Road Tires - Clincher

2.54/5 (13 Reviews)

• Light and durable 60 tpi casing
  • Bontrager-exclusive aero wings for advanced aerodynamics
  • Integrated sub-tread puncture protection

Submitted by MistaMike99er a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2015

Strengths:    Great "Dry" Tyres for under $30.00@ . They have a nice ride and super grip for the money. I love my Bonnie's---I used to only buy cheap, two for $18.00 Kmart/Walmart tyres and the improvement has been night&g'day. If money is an issue, buy near new on the Internet. Since I don't ride unless it's perfect weather, the Bonnie's are a good choice!!!

Weaknesses:    Don't even THINK of riding these in wet weather!!! I mean, if the rider in front of you spits on the ground, get off and walk yer bike!!! I had sprinklers go on while I was on the sidewalk and dumped the bike down a 30 degree revene---ouch!!! It's like my Miata, I roll on UHP summer tyres, not all season radials. I know better not to frolic in the rain or snow in summer tyres!!!

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for. I ride a 1989 Champaigne La Tour that is highly prized on the used Schwinn market. Can I afford better? Absolutely. Will I buy another bike? Probably not. I like going inside a store and not worrying about having my lock cut and my $3,000 bike go missing. Sacramento where bolt cutters are King and every homeless guy has a nice bike!!!

For a good, $30.00 tyre, the Bontragger Race All seasons (2x$50.00) or these R2s (2x$60) are hard to beat. If I had a nicer bike, sure, I'd roll with Connies or Mitches---but I don't. The Bonnie's aren't racing tyres, they are economy touring tyres. You get what you pay for!!!

Favorite Ride:   the paved, gated levy road at Natomas

Purchased At:   Dino's bike shoppe,

Similar Products Used:   Kmart/Walmart Bell tyres!!! Didn't know any better!!! I now know you ARE your bike tyres---Economize elsewhere!!!

Bike Setup:   1989 Schwinn Champaigne La Tour with box in rear. Since I ride at night, I roll with Night Riders (600 lines front; 2watts blinking rears, gel seat. Sun tour Blaze components (sucks, I know)!!! I'm late middle age. I golf, hit the gym and ride at night 10-20 miles for the 'runners high'.

Submitted by Eric de Heer

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2015

Strengths:    Good in the dry

Weaknesses:    The worst in the wet

Bottom Line:
I bought my trek madone 4.5 with the R2s just before the summer and didnt do much cycling in the rain, so didnt notice the bad bad handling until I hit my first shower at the end of the summer, and lost grip completly at 25km/h on just the simplest of corner.... if you ever buy a trek, make sure you have the shop replace these tyres!!!

Submitted by Steven Higgins a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2014

Strengths:    Good grip, Longevity, puncture protection.

Bottom Line:
Great Tyre, have done 9500km on these without any problems - No punctures. They handle very well in the wet and have no problems at all in the wettest conditions with handling. Corner great and roll very well. Would recommend

Favorite Ride:   Trek Domane 4.7

Submitted by Geert

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2014

Strengths:    Great dry surface traction, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Dangerous on wet surfaces and easy puncturable

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a website like this with reviews about this Bontrager tires because i slipped away in a wet turn with minimal speed. Before i hit the road with my new bike (Trek Madone 4.5) i checked the Bontrager website to discover what kind of tires they had put on my new bike, i couldn't find any information about the traction related to weather influences. So I thought they might be good enough for use in slightly wet weather. I had my bike only two days and on my 2nd ride i slipped away in a slightly wet turn and i had one flat tire (in 65km). Though, these tires improved my bikehandling in turns on dry roads, but I'll put on different ones before or after bad weather. I can't accept they put these tires on new bikes!

Submitted by Eelke de Gelder

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2014

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Very easy puncturable. Got 3 flats in 80 kilometer!
Bad grip on every surface that is not completely dry.

Bottom Line:
Worst tire I have ever had. A shame to sell this tire at all, and a big shame for this prize. Replaced it after 80 k, which makes it 0,30 € per k.