Bontrager R3 Road Tires - Clincher

• Bontrager-exclusive aero wings
  • Integrated sub-tread puncture protection

Submitted by Ty Raju a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2015

Strengths:    Grip, ride comfort, relative puncture resistant, good value for the performance

Weaknesses:    Wears out quick but frankly most of the lighter/softer tires will....just find them on sale and stock up!

Bottom Line:
I've only used R2 and R3s and once I switched to R3s I've never looked for another tire. They do wear out fairly quick but I get a good 1200 miles out of them in South Florida on pretty hot and gritty roads at about 200lbs. I ride routinely around 50 miles a ride and I think in the last two years I've only had 2 or so flats on these....but I keep my pressure at 120. One of the flats I rode through a pile of glass that I could not avoid....so any tire would have had a similar fate. Good tires for the $ but not cheap!

Submitted by les

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2015

Strengths:    Grip well. reasonable comfort.

Weaknesses:    Easy to flat. Wear faster than Schwalbe ZX series.

Bottom Line:
2,300 kms on the R3 clincher tyres. The front is fine - no flats and plenty left in the tyre. The rear however is well worn (I'm 75 kgs - 160 pounds) and I've had 4 flat tyres, the first and second flats in the first and third weeks respectively. Maybe just chance, but I ride the same roads I have always ridden and these tyres, the rear in particular, are showing a lot of wear and damage. They are probably equivalent to 4,000 kms on schwalbes. Have ordered Bontrager's 25 mm wide tubeless tyres to test.

Submitted by l. michael wheeler

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2014

Strengths:    a light tire with low rolling resistance. at 110 psi it still soaks up small road imperfections.

Weaknesses:    I have had two flats in the first 250 miles. Bad luck , maybe but the tire outer rubber is soft for good grip

Bottom Line:
A good tire for the money.

Submitted by H.

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2014

Strengths:    weight

Weaknesses:    not very puncture resistant

Bottom Line:
I got these with new Madone.
I am 160lb. In under 600 miles I got two punctures already. I can't comment on performance, comfort etc as it's a new bike but their puncture protection is rather virtual. If I get another flat I gotta look for better protected albeit heavier tires.

Submitted by vince

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2014

Strengths:    Puncture resistant. Fast. Wears well.

Weaknesses:    None that I've experienced

Bottom Line:
Got these with a new Madone 5.2. Have logged 2,400 miles on them on rough country roads and chip and seal and not a single flat. I like these tires.