Bontrager R4 Road Tires - Clincher

2.83/5 (6 Reviews)

• 220 tpi casing gives unparalleled comfort, light weight
  • Bontrager-exclusive aero wings for advanced aerodynamics
  • Integrated sub-tread puncture protection

Submitted by Bryan

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2016

Strengths:    A great racing tire - an ONLY a racing tire!!!

Weaknesses:    For intended use - no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I read a few of the other reviews on this tire, and let's be candid - IF YOU THINK this tire has any other uses other than fairly serious racing, you have not read Bontrager's claims. Most folks should stick with the R3s or R2s.

Back in the day, I used many high-performance tubular tires, and the feeling is identical - look at one sideways and it will flat on you!!!

If you are realistic it's a great tire - great in corners - if you think you are going to commute on this tire, you will be disappointed...

Submitted by JRay a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2014

Strengths:    Tacky (even in wet), light weight, feels like a tubular

Weaknesses:    mileage, lack of sidewalls/colors

Bottom Line:
This is a Race tire, plain and simple. If you want something for commuting or even for riding daily this is NOT the tire for you, and nor should you expect it to. I used this exclusively for crits and road races and it did not disappoint. I didn't notice any more puncture threats than the other road tires I've used in the past. It feels as close to a tubular tire as I can get with a clincher. It gave me great confidence in the corners at speed and i'm planning on buying them again for the upcoming race tire. The lack of colors available wasn't important to me, but to some it matters, which is why I mentioned it.

Again, not an everyday tire. An excellent race-dedicated tire.

Purchased At:   The Bike Lane

Similar Products Used:   Michlen Pro Race 3, Bontrager R3, Conti GP4k, Conti GP4Ks, Specialized Mondo

Bike Setup:   Felt FA custom build, rider weight around 170-175lbs

Submitted by Trek Fan

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, Light, and seems durable thus far.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I have not had any problems with these tires. I have had one flat on them and I have gone about 1,300 miles. I think that they are super fast and easy to mount on the wheels. They are kind of pricy but I have not had any problems and have had several rides in wet conditions with them and at no point did I feel worried about the tires.

Submitted by argibson

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2012

Strengths:    Supple nice riding tire with good dry grip. No experience in wet conditions.

Weaknesses:    These are the fastest wearing tires I have ever owned...showing cords within 600 miles! I have previously used Conti 4000s and got 3000 miles out of those (swapping front and rear around 2000 miles), and Michelin Pro Race 3 I have usually gotten 2000 miles out of (swapping front and rear around 1200 miles). Wow, for a $70 tire that came on a really expensive 2013 Project One Madone, I expected more.

Bottom Line:
I contacted Bontrager about this and they could have been less helpful.

Submitted by Bill

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Rides ok

Weaknesses:    This came with my bike. First tire wore through to the tube in multiple places in 1000 miles. Dealer gave me a new one. It lasted 1100 miles before it blew the same way.

Bottom Line:
This tire is a POS. Unless you are willing to spend $70 every 1000 miles forget this tire. Conti tires go 3 to 4 times as far.