Bontrager Race X Lite AC Clincher Tires - Clincher

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Combining high-performance with excellent durability, the Race X Lite AC is a superb all-conditions tire. The special A-casing gives increased abrasion resistance while the dual-compound tread combines low rolling resistance with good grip in both wet and dry conditions.

Submitted by Greg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Strengths:    Lite, low rolling resistance nice looking colors, handles well in wet roads.

Weaknesses:    Quality? Tires should not come apart after 4 months.
Low overall rating based on manufacture quality

Bottom Line:
These came with my 2011 Madone. They roll great and give a nice ride but.... The tires are coming apart on the sidewalls. It's like the rubber mesh did not adhere to the tire in the molding process. Kind of like a re tread. Had 2 flats with them and can see numerous small cuts on the bottoms. Going to take them back and see what the warranty is like. Maybe switch brands.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Race AC.

Bike Setup:   Madone 6.2, Ultegra drive train, Race XXL rims, Look pedals.

Submitted by climber80 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    great protection

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Great tire. Fast, durable and good protection.

Submitted by erniehague a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    Corner well, handle wet roads and they are still going strong after 6000 Km or 3728 Miles.

Bottom Line:
I have an 2010 Madone 5.5 road bikes in Thailand. I brought these tires with me from Canada as they are not available in Thailand. I just turned 6000 Km on these tires and in that time have had two flats glass back tire and thorn front tire. I run 100 psi in both tires.

Favorite Ride:   Palu waterfall road

Purchased At:   Terrace

Similar Products Used:   Kenda C2C more flats and they wear out in 3000-4000 Km

Bike Setup:   Stock 2010 Madone 5.5 with Ulterga pedals.

Submitted by bikesforpeace a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Strengths:    Cut resistance, long lasting (barely and wear showing at 1000+ miles), grippy enough to race on, colors to match any bike

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than my fav Conti's. In the cold (below 35F) the ride quality is reduced greatly.

Bottom Line:
I'll take the suggestion of the first reviewer and add my two cents. These tires came on my new Madone purchased Spring 09. Not having ever ridden a Bontrager road tire I was a little leery of there performance. I have been pleasantly surprised!
These tires roll pretty well, are quiet and do seem to repel nicks, cuts and flats better than most. They are grippy enough in corners to inspire confidence and are decent in the wet too.
I run these on my training wheels but have raced on them a few times as well. I'm not sure of the total mileage since I swap wheels but maybe 1000+? I've only had one flat in that time and it was my own fault for riding too far right on a dirty shoulder riddled with glass. I ran these in a rainy crit last summer. Guys were sliding all over the place. I managed to stay on course without much trouble and I attribute most of that to these tires.
They are good enough I bought a new set as backups for when I need an emergency tire!

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Continental GP 4000 & 4000s, Michelin Axial Pro, Hutchinson Fusion, WTB Camino (junk)

Bike Setup:   6 series Madone, Force group, Bontrager other bits, Race Lite wheels, HED Jet 6's

Submitted by Minnesnowtan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    It has been doing well for 300 to 500 miles so far, and on some rough roads, downtown Baltimore city streets (such as the Hanover St bridge which has a lot of debris on and near it).

Weaknesses:    $60 for a bike tire? I can get a good, and I mean very good car tire for $66 new online. Other than the price, not enough time with the tire to find any flaws, if there are any. The LBS who sold me this bike aren't thrilled to see Bontrager on my wheel as opposed to Specialized. Oh well :-)

Bottom Line:
I was looking for Race X Lite Hard Case but somehow got the Race X Lite AC. The labeling mentioned flat protection and the sales guy played that up in a big way. In the store, I thought that the AC was "HC" for hard case. I had previously bought a set of Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case tires in 32mm for my hybrid, and they never went flat. So I liked the Hard Case label, and maybe I am a bit of a Hard Case too.

This was my first time ever installing a tire without a wire bead. It didn't form a U channel in which to pour in some baby powder. It was weird, but I figured it out and got it on properly. That was at home on the couch, I don't want to do it again on the street, but I could. I may not have to.

After a few hundred miles of riding, (some limestone trail [NCR] and lots of road) the tire looks almost like new. The is a scrape of some rubber, but it is minor. I do recall a time or two where something hard shot out from under my tire, and that abrasion is probably the result.

In contrast, my front tire (Specialized All Condition Sport) has soft tread that gets a lot of small cuts, one of them currently open and gaping (but still small). Although the front tire has been around longer than the Bontrager, it is certainly less than 1,000 miles old and makes the Race X Lite AC look pretty darn good.

Recommended pressure is 100-130 psi, so I stay at 100-110, as I am a fairly light 160 pound rider. The ride seems the same as with the previous tire (Specialized All Condition Sport, which handles well enough but is a hole-magnet), maybe slightly less grippy than its soft treaded predecessor. But it is very similar in handling from what I have experienced so far, and that is good.

My front tire needs to be replaced (due to its small gaping cut) and I may put another Bontrager Race X Lite AC on it, but this time in 25mm rather than 23mm. I may be commuting to downtown, and want something that grips in the wet and is flat resistant as well. If anyone else has experiences with this (or other) tires, please post reviews so that we can learn from you.

I rated this overall as a 5 because it has done all that is expected of it so far, and value a 4 because bike tires should not cost what car tires cost.

Favorite Ride:   Road, rails to trails, wherever I can go fast and have fewer cars.

Purchased At:   Lutherville Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case in 32mm on my former bike, a hybrid. I started club riding on it, never a flat. Had trouble keeping up, but no flats.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sequoia (alum w/CF Fork), Alex rims (oooh..), Sora 3x8 gearing (aaah....) Topeak rack & trunk bag.