Bontrager Race X-Lite Pro Tires - Clincher

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

• Handmade casing is the highest quality
  • Silica/Carbon tread compound means excellent traction without sacrifice to speed
  • 290tpi Polycotton casing gives a light and supple feel on the road

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by dmstrobel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2009

Strengths:    In almost two thousand miles no damage. The rear tire is showing some wear and will have to be replaced within five hundred miles. No flats and I have ridden over glass fragments, forest debris and you name it on city streets.

Weaknesses:    I do not feel that this tire is that confident on wet pavement.

Bottom Line:
    I ridden my TREK Madone with these original tires for about eighteen months and have almost 2,000 miles without a flat. I ride on roads, bike trails, city streets and the tires have done a great job.

Purchased At:   Bicycles Plus with b

Similar Products Used:   Only road tire that I have used.

Bike Setup:   TREK Madone 5.2

Submitted by darby Roach a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, light, durable, great ride and traction.

Bottom Line:
    Bontrager Race X-Lite tires came with my Lemond Chamberey. I've got about 2,200 miles on them now and have yet to have a flat. They are very fast, durable, ride nice and have good traction even on our wet Seattle roads. Even with all the miles I've put on them, they show very little wear.

Similar Products Used:   Continental Gatorskins. Nice tire, but seemed to wear out fast and didn't roll as easily as the Bontragers.

Bike Setup:   Stock Lemond Chamberey with Bontrager Race wheels.

Submitted by baspos a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2007

Strengths:    Good ride quality when they aren't flat, which unfortunately is not very often.

Weaknesses:    FLAT CONSTANTLY!!!

Bottom Line:
    I bought these at the suggestion of my local bike shop mechanic after riding a set of Michelin Pro 2 Races for about a year. The Pro 2 Race cuts pretty easily, but it somehow seems to avoid flatting even when sustaining cuts. On the other hand, these Bontragers flat CONSTANTLY! Between the Michelins and the Bontrangers, nothing changed in terms of where or how I was riding, and yet I was literally flatting every other ride on the Bontragers. The shop owner suggested that these are not really intended to be training tires, but mainly race tires. I wouldn't race on these tires if you paid me. The chances of flatting in a race are probably 50%, and in a race I would never ride a tire that I knew there was a VERY good chance of flatting. In the two months or so that I rode these tires I spent about $60 in tubes and CO2 cartridges. Don't buy these tires unless you enjoy spending time on the side of the road changing flats.

Favorite Ride:   All of them