Bontrager SR1 Tires - Clincher

Submitted by Paul W. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2017

Strengths:    High Pressure, light, inexpensive, even cornering easy installation

Weaknesses:    Flat protection is not top-notch (be careful what you ride over on the street)

Bottom Line:
I put a set of the 1.25" width SR!'s on my mtb about two months ago, and they have been doing just what I wanted them to: change my bike into a commuter/tourer. At 345g, they are not the lightest road tires you can get, but they are among the only true slicks available for a 26" wheel.
I love the fact that I can pump them up to 100psi if I want to (I run them at 90psi), and they do give a speed and nimbility advantage over my 2.1' knobbies. I've had one flat, so-far, and it was just a tiny thorn. I was surprised to see a thorn that small go through a tire.
As a matter-of-fact, I don't remember ever getting a flat from a thorn, so maybe it was just a fluke. I'm really happy that Bontrager offers this kind of tire in this size (1.50" also). I'm going to set my mtb up with pannier racks and a rigid Kinesis alloy fork. The SR!'s have been working out.
If these don't work out, I'll go to something meatier, like Hutchinson Top Slick, or IRC Smoothie.

Favorite Ride:   Ferris Wheel