Challenge Tech Parigi-Roubaix Clincher Tires - Clincher

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

The Challenge Parigi- Roubaix tires were designed to ride in a variety of weather and terrain conditions. They are strong, broad, and resilient under pressure. Install these tires onto your commuter or touring bike and you’ll exper...

Submitted by Ray

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2014

Strengths:    Very comfortable. Got around 3500 miles out of the front and about 2500 rear. Noticeably nicer ride than the Vittoria CG's.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and expensive

Bottom Line:
I wanted to like these tires---no, really!!! But they flatted in my basement! No really! Then in my living room. Then I went riding and I got 19 flats in 18 miles. I did a forensic analysis using micrometers and while wearing a white lab coat and I determined that the tread is so thin, you can actually see through it and the sidewalls are nothing more than zig zag brand strawberry flavored rolling papers!!
Also, no one will ride with me because of these tires and the 19 flats and the large garbage bag of spare tubes I carry. No really!!! But I'm buying another set because I find the sidewalls otherwise useful.

Submitted by jojo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    Nice soft (and short) ride between flats
Good wet grip

Weaknesses:    - Very difficult to mount on my Mavic Open Pro rims
- Don't try to get anywhere near the recommended (on side wall of tire) 95-115psi. I blew one up at 80psi!
- Seems to attrach debris, glas, flat for no apparent reason and for any tiny piece of glass
- Probably lest reliebla tire I have ever ridden. Even worse than very poor Serfas tires I tested once

Bottom Line:
I want to like this tire, and like the idea of a comfy bigger tire for good roll and great feel and comfort, but 8 flats in 2 days (3 in basement before even started ride) is just terrible. I have used many different tires and am very careful mounting them, checking for tube pinchs, debris etc and these things still just seem to want to go flat. Could be defective I suppose, but not willing to try these again. Have great success with Contis, Vittorias, Hutchinson, Michelin so no reason to use these unreliable tires at all. Switching to Conti 4 season 28 instead and hope that will be more reliable

Favorite Ride:   Next one

Purchased At:   NA

Similar Products Used:   Conti Gatorskins, Michelin Lithions, Proce race 2/3/4, Vittoria Rubino Pros, Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tubeless, Conti GP4000, Scwalbe Marathons, Conti Trouing, Panaracer Pasela T-Serv, Serfas, Vittoria EVO KX

Bike Setup:   Soma Doublecross, Campy 11 mix, Open Pro w/ Schmidt Dyno/Record hubs and Bonntrager Race Light wheels for CX

Submitted by Chris Milliman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2011

Strengths:    Price
Profile
Tread Pattern

Weaknesses:    Very very flat prone
Thin tread
Flimsy sidewalls

Bottom Line:
I really wanted to like these tires: good price, nice profile, perfect size. But, I was really disappointed with them once I started riding them. Mostly on smooth (-ish) dirt roads, with some rough sections, I got 5 flats in 6 rides. These are the same rides I've been doing for two years, previously with Vittoria Pavé, and my flats have been few and far between. And, this is the big point, none of the flats were from obvious big hits. Checked tires inside and out, checked rim strips, different tubes. Upon closer examination, I think the fatal flaw with these tires is the thin tread and sort of flimsy sidewalls. In fact, it does not take a big hit to flat these tires. The other issue, with such a large volume if you run a really high pressure in the tires, like over 110 psi, the tires have a strange handling feel to them. Kind of skittish.

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Pavé
Dugast Roubaix Tubulars (25 and 27mm)
Parigi Roubaix Tubulars

Submitted by stevep a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2010

Strengths:    fast, comfortable

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
If I had to pick one wide road tire to ride for the rest of my life it would be this one. The Challenge PR's are mighty fast, durable (0 flats in 1000 miles), and very comfortable. The inflated size is about 28 or 29mm wide. The black and tan look is great.

Favorite Ride:   D2R2

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Conti GP 4S and Gatorskins, various Grand Bois, Panaracer Pasela, Riv Jack Browns

Bike Setup:   Mavic OPro rims on White Ind hubs. Riv Rambuoillet frame, misc Shimano drive train.