Continental City Contact Tires - Clincher

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Fast, reliable city tire for everyday commuters and messengers. Also makes a great touring tire. For those that value excellent puncture protection and comfort as well as high speed and low weight. Includes Continental's new Safety System technology for puncture protection featuring a layer of kevlar and polyamide belts under the tread to prevent flats. Silica/carbon tread compound provides excellent traction in both wet and dry conditions. Wire Bead.

Submitted by Seroflorus

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    Durable and reliable ride. Lasted 3 months and 3 weeks of a four month road tour. Not bad, huh?

Weaknesses:    Reflective sides an look gross when its raining. otherwise, no complaints.

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my LHT and I used them during one commute summer (60-90 miles per week) on pavement, paved greenway and crushed gravel greenway. Then, I rode them off on a TransAm. They made it from Yorktown, VA to 10 miles outside Baker City, OR before one blew out...used a folded dollar as a patch to get into town. Replaced with an inferior second choice and I missed them. Now, I'm looking to replace the second choices with another set of these.

Submitted by Brian Aslett a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2010

Strengths:    Tough
Extremely durable
Grip well in the wet

Bottom Line:
These tyres are on my cheap hybrid bike which bought when I first got into cycling. For a while it did reasonable distances but now I only use to ride to the gym, shops etc.
It doesn't do big miles now - perhaps a couple of hundred per year. I bought them to replace the Kendas which came with the bike and started to disintegrate after about 18 months.
They were pricy at the time for a leisure bike but These tyres are extraordinary in that they're now 7 years old, have done about 3000 miles, have had one puncture and still look perfect. The tread's fine, there's no sidwall cracking and they hold their pressure well (original conti tubes)I wish my road bike tyres would last half as long!

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in Cape Town

Similar Products Used:   Kenda

Bike Setup:   Giant Cypress hybrid

Submitted by MikeREDMOND a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2009

Strengths:    Perfect commuter tire. Low rolling resist. Also if you ride in rain alot they probably don't kick up as much spray.

Weaknesses:    primarily for pavement. Haven't ridden them offroad, but I can tell you they have no grip on the snow.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden these for almost a year (3000+ miles). 26x2.1. I ride them primarily in the winter on my MTB commuter bike. They seem to be very tough as I have not had a flat yet. Probably one of the best MTB commuter tires.

Favorite Ride:   More down than up.

Purchased At:   BikeTiresDirect

Similar Products Used:   Conti Grand Canyon (14000 miles on 1 set), Town & Country (1000 miles and I tossed them in the garbage). Maxxis Holy Roller (for when it snows)

Bike Setup:   Kona Cinder Cone. Old school over the bar shifters. 7 speed Chromoly steel urban assault tank. There's a noticeable dent in the front of an SUV to prove it.

Submitted by Ted Beidler a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2008

Strengths:    Nice riding tire

Weaknesses:    Showed relatively quick wear on the cinder rail-trails (but they do label it "CITY")

Bottom Line:
We had the 700x32 size on our tandem for just about a year. Nice riding tire, no punctures. We actually liked this tire over the regular CONTACT tire (non-"CITY" version) even on the cinder rail-trails.

Similar Products Used:   Continental "regular" CONTACT tire; older Continental TOP TOURING 2000.

Bike Setup:   Canondale road tandem; 200 and 130 lbs. riders.

Conti City Contact: 10,000+ miles, no flats, minimal wear

Just realized that I have over 10,000 miles on my 700 x 32 Conti City Contacts. I commute about 3,000 miles per year in the Northwest in all seasons, conditions. I only have one short climb (less than half a mile in my 38 x 23) otherwise it's pretty flat and mostly MUT (factor in a few skidding pani ... Read More »

Continental City Contact

Anyone try these? Seems like the Top Touring is no more. I was thinking of getting these in 700 x 32 or maybe even 700 x 37 for my Cross Check commuter. Any other good Conti options for commuting? Thanks. :thumbsup: [url]http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/ ... Read More »