Continental Comp 240 Tires - Clincher

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

For racing and fast training.

Submitted by theOldMan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Strengths:    Durability and ride quality. Selection of colors and sizes (19,22, 25mm). You may need to order the non-common sizes and colors.

Weaknesses:    These tires are a b**ch to mount the first time. I do not remember having such a tight fitting tubular in all my years riding tubs. They were so tight I actually checked the box to make sure they were the right size!

After they have been strectched, they are ok to mount, but not great. They really require a lot of muscle to get them on the rim. In fact, during the gluing process, I needed to use tire irons to get them on (the first time I had to do that).

The other weakness is cost. The average LBS sells these for way too much money. This means that you need to keep a supply on hand.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding tubulars and clinchers for 30+ years. The continental competition tubs are a great allround tire. They roll well, grip the road with confidence and feel great. I have had better riding tubulars in the past, but these provide the right combination of ride quality, durability and worry free long distance cycling. They are currently my tire of choice for those long rides through the mountains.

I don't worry about punctures at all. They are a dependable everyday tire.

I purchased 4 with the red sidewall. All four were perfectly round. There were no flaws in any of them. Biketiresdirect were great to deal with on this special order (they normally don't sell the red/grey tire).

Favorite Ride:   A long winding road through the mountains

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Sprinters, Vittoria, Dugast... and many more that are in the distant past.

Bike Setup:   Look 381i, Record group
Ambrosio rims, Deda handlebar and stem
Conti Competition tubular tires.

Submitted by purplepaul a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Strengths:    Great ride. Super puncture resistant.

Weaknesses:    1 of 3 was seriously out of round.

Bottom Line:
I bought 3 Comps and two of them were very round, one was very out of round and lumpy. If I hadn't bought it from overseas, I certainly would have returned it. However, my LBS sells them for over $100 each, so I can't say I'm too upset.

The ride is fantastic. Thus far, I've got almost 4000 miles on one set with no flats, so Conti's claim of high puncture resistance holds up (I'm in New York City).

They're my everyday tires and I use them on the streets without worry. If only every single tire came out round, I'd say they were perfect.

Purchased At:   UK bike shop when $

Submitted by Jaybirdy a Recreational Rider from Muncie

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Strengths:    fast rolling because of 180+ presure that doesn't seem to loose air like veloflex and Vittoria

Weaknesses:    need to put on streching rim for 2 weeks prior to installation.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden these tires for years and tried almost every other brand and size available. These are the best I have found. They are tru , if you install them correctly. They wear great and are pucture resistant and have a predictable handling character. They are lite weight

Favorite Ride:   long one

Purchased At:   www.bkbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   every single one

Bike Setup:   C-Dale team replica

Submitted by a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2003

Strengths:    good for bundling firewood on the deck.

Weaknesses:    lumpy, crooked, 50 grams heavier than the advertised weight (why don't they just go ahead and name them Comp290's?)
You should see the lump at the stem!!

Bottom Line:
what is with Conti?? Didn't they used to make a quality product?? These are the lumpiest, crookedest (is that a word?) crap that I've ever used. Actually, i don't use them. I went back to Veloflex.
The dealer was great. Gave me a screaming deal on the veloflex to make me happy. Yea Roger!

Purchased At:   world class cycle

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria, Veloflex, Clement, Tufo

Bike Setup:   Kestrel 200EMS/Dura Ace/Zipp303

Submitted by ron a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    tight fit

Weaknesses:    poor quality control

Bottom Line:
I've given up on Conti.
First of all, I went thru three sets of Comp240's when I finally switched back to Vittoria CX's. The Conti's were ALL lumpy AND crooked at the valve stem. The Vittoria's are not. AND if Conti are going to name the tire to represent it's indicated weight, why not be honest and call them "Comp 290's"? Same goes for the Sprinter 250. They never made one that weighed even close to 250 grams, although I can say I never had problems with their shape. Buy Vittoria or Tufo or Veloflex. You won't regret any of them.