Continental Contact Tires - Clincher

4.36/5 (11 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Contact is the jack-of-all-trades among city and trekking tires. A uniform center treadbelt assembly ensures a smooth and speedy ride on the road. Flexible shoulder lugs and fine sipes guarantee grip in curves and on loose surfaces. The tire constru

Submitted by DirtRoadRunner a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap
Durable
Roll well for size

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
These tires are great for the price. I have the 32's on my every day commuter and really like them. They roll suprisingly well for a heavy 32, but are bombproof. I fly over railroad tracks, hop off curbs, and hit all sorts of other junk on the road all of the time. The tires take it without even flinching. I crossed a set or railroad tracks at 24 mph on these tires the other day without an issue. Perfect tires for a commuter or all-purpose bike, as they do fine on gravel too.

Favorite Ride:   Twisty, vacant, rural Ozark highways

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Pasela

Bike Setup:   2001-ish Cannondale CAAD2 touring bike, set up for urban commuting

Submitted by dext a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    In almost 2 years of daily, 4-season riding: 1 flat!
Very smooth, comfortable ride. German quality.
Good enough grip.
Relfective sidewall.

Weaknesses:    not available EVERYWHERE but, available enough in Toronto, Canada at least.
Otherwise, none really. Like anything, lighter is always desirable!

Bottom Line:
Another virtually flat-proof, yet smooth riding, extra durable and light enough tire from ze Germans!

Purchased At:   Urbane Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Conti Sport Contact.
Conti Avenue.
Vredestein Perfect.
Avocet Cross copy.

Bike Setup:   Norco VFR5 "performance hybrid"

Submitted by pumpman_182 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Strengths:    Robust and highly flat resistant, even on rough pavement and gravel, with a heavy rider. No sidewall issues.

Weaknesses:    Tire wear on rear tire seems a little high--I average 1500 miles on the rear tire, wearing them down until the Kevlar belt starts to show. Front tires I get 3-4K. Probably just a weight issue on the rears.

Bottom Line:
Started using these tires after 2 sidewall failures on highly-touted Pasela TG tires. Ran them for a year in 28 mm size on my road bike, then added them in 32 mm size on an older bike which I use in rain or when I expect to encounter some gravel roads on my trip. I ride a lot of tar and chip roads and rough pavement. Others have commented about this tire being heavy and slow--as a 250 lb. rider they might as well be describing me--but in two years and 5000 miles, I have fixed one flat, due to failure of a tube at the stem and no fault of the tire. I'm pedaling for fun and exercise, and these are great tires for my purposes.

Favorite Ride:   Weekend 30-50 miles on rural NC roads

Purchased At:   Nashbar / Bike Tires

Similar Products Used:   Pasela Tourguard

Bike Setup:   Heron Ralleye with 28 MM
Trek 420 with 32 mm.

Submitted by John a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    Flat resistant

Weaknesses:    HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY, poor steering response

Bottom Line:
I bought these to put on my Bianchi San Jose. Single speed with axle nuts so I dont want flats. These arrived and boy I could tell they are HEAVY. Roll okay but it took more effort to turn. Took them off. Weight, dead feel and poor steering make these among the worst tires I've used. Panaracer Urban Max a far better commuter tire

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Conti top Touring 2000
Panaracer Urban Max

Submitted by Earl a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Good ride, puncture resistant.

Weaknesses:    I didn't find any

Bottom Line:
I rode corss-country on 700x32 Contacts in the summer of 2006. Had one flat on the road. Finished with tread left. Others in my tour group went through as many as four sets of tires.

Favorite Ride:   Custom Co-Motion Norwester

Purchased At:   Outer Banks Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Top Touring

Bike Setup:   Co-Motion frame & fork
Campy Chorus shifters
xt drive train
Ultegra long pull brakes
Brooks B 17

who should I contact for some info about ads on this site

Hi All, We want to have our prodcuts to be advertised on the site. I want to know some detail on the ads/charges Do you know who I should contact? Pls let me know the email address. Thank you. Should any news, pls send it to [B]margret@xeccon.com [/B] MargretRead More »

Bifocal contact lens

Anyone have them? Anyone ride with them? I am thinking about trying them out since I am tired of wearing granny glasses and looking over them all the time. I have reading glasses everywhere including the family room, garage, car, bike saddle bag, etc.Read More »

Bearing ?? 45-degree and 36-degree contact

For a 36x45 bearing Which is the angle of the internal shoulder "cup" for cartridge bearing and which is for the crown race. My Look fork spec is 45-degree for the built in crown. Do I really need a 45x45; or will the stock 36x45 work?Read More »

Propel & contact SLR clip on bars and computer mount

Got my new Propel last week... It's excellent thanks for asking. :) The original stories around the launch mentioned clip on aero bars and a mount for the Garmin Edge, as non of the standard after market stuff fits onto the Contact SLR Aero handlebars. I haven't seen any mention of these since, my ... Read More »