Continental Gator Hardshell Tires - Clincher

3.78/5 (9 Reviews)

If you log more miles commuting to work and around town than some pros do in training, the Continental Gator Hardshell Road Tire is the answer.

Submitted by Allen DeLaney a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2016

Strengths:    Bought 2 sets inAug 2015 700 x 28, mounted to 25+ HED Ardennes rims. Given the hx of some early failures due to mfg defects in side walls, we rode these on pavement and gravel around central Fla for about 250 mi w no problems or flats. We saw no sign of the bead or sidewall problems mentioned in blog posts from both sides of the pond since this model hit the market. We then biked 650 mi on 2 bikes thru the backroads and city streets of Ireland, many farm backroads and trails, especially in the NW were extremely rough, returning to the states we continued roads and trails in Fla, where many locals dispose of beer bottles by tossing them in the road. So after 8 months, our vote on puncture resistance is excellent as we have 2 bikes x 1400 mi ea w no flats! Over time, we discovered that 70-75 psi is ideal for rough or gravel surfaces. About 85-90 on pavement. There seems to be a little more resistance than 23 mm tires, but a lot more comfort, and excellent wet traction. Our puncture experience is w heavy butyl tubes. We've spent 15 years riding over 4000 mi per yr, and have tried most clinchers available, but have almost never made it more than 200-300 mi w/o a puncture flat in the best circumstance

Weaknesses:    Tire levers required on the HED Ardennes+ rims when tire or fingers are cold

Bottom Line:
Excellent value and the best puncture resistance we've ever experienced in a multi surface 700x 28 tire at a moderate price. Compared to over 40,000 road miles on 4 different Continentals, Panaracer, at least 3 Michelin models, and Vredstein, this is a lot of tire for your money in a 28x700 tire.

Favorite Ride:   S Italy, almost anywhere

Bike Setup:   Custom adventure carbon road bikes, w road disc brakes, and HED Ardennes + wheels

Submitted by Jon Winkeller a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2014

Strengths:    Reputation

Weaknesses:    Continual sidewall blowouts

Bottom Line:
I recently bought a Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 and decided to change tires after experiencing a number of puncture flats (riding in Arizona) on the stock tires. My manager, who's an avid rider, swears by the Continental Gator Skins; so I thought I'd do one better and get the Gator Hardshells, figuring that they'd be more puncture resistant. Needless to say, I was looking forward to fewer tire repairs while out riding. So far that hasn't happened. On the first day riding with my NEW tires, I had TWO sidewall blowouts within a 1/2 - 3/4 mile of each other when on the second one I realized that the cording in the tire bead had completely separated from the bead in an area about 2-3 inches. Once I was rescued by my daughter, I went straight to the retailer that I purchased them from and they replaced the tube and the tire without any questions. Writing this experience off as a "Manufacturer defect" I was once again feeling confident that I'd have better luck on the new tire. Last weekend (Labor Day), I was on my way to a group ride when I had another flat. A section of the road I was riding was really rough so I just figured it was a minor pinch flat and fixed it prior to starting the ride. Once on the ride, I had no problems. Today (09-06-14) I had just pumped up my tires (100psi) and was leaving to meet up for another group ride. I got down the street a total of two houses when I had ANOTHER sidewall blowout. My frustration level has about gone through the roof with these tires. I am now sitting in my living room (instead of out riding) waiting for the bike shop to open so I can exchange these tires from something better: I hope.....

Similar Products Used:   First set of "after market" tires that I've purchased

Bike Setup:   Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0

Submitted by Nick a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2012

Strengths:    Bulletproof--at least for me so far...

Weaknesses:    Manufacturing defect on first tire but was rectified imediately...

Bottom Line:
Almost 4,000 miles and no flat. The back tire is getting worn as 25% of those miles are on a trainer. I run over lots of glass and other crap--roads in southern California suck--and am surprised that I haven't had a flat yet. Probably will now that I've written this review...I had Vittoria Zaffiros before my Gatorskins and had two flats in under 1,000 miles. My wife has Bontrager X-Lite Hards and has had one flat in about 500 miles. The only complaint I have is one of the tires had to be sent back because when I inflated it there was a large bubble in side wall...manufacturing defect.

Favorite Ride:   Death Ride

Purchased At:   BiketiresDirect

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Zaffiro, Bontrager X-Lite Hard

Bike Setup:   Madone 5.9

Submitted by firemedicrich

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    They are round

Weaknesses:    Except when they are flat!

Bottom Line:
In a word, dissappointed. Bought these for my training wheels. Rear flat on first ride. OK, bad luck? Nope, second ride, front flat........Really? C'mon, I've been chewing up my Vittoria Corsa CX's for nearly 1000 miles with NO flats, which are known as fast but easy flat tires!!!!! Conti should re-name these lizardshell, because the rear flat was from glass, fair, but the front I think was from a blade of grass. What marketing hoopla!

Submitted by Chaz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2011

Strengths:    tough, very puncture resistant

Weaknesses:    rides a bit stiff/hard

Bottom Line:
I have probably 3000 miles on these tires and have only one cut. NO FLATS!! I ride on mostly smooth pavement but run over the usual strewn gravel and occasional glass. I'm not as afraid to run over glass that I don't see in time. They ride stiffer than the Conti Grand Prix 4000 which I use for event rides and longer training rides. I'll definitely stick with the Hardshell for daily training.

Favorite Ride:   anything ona smooth road with a tailwind

Purchased At:   ebay