Continental GatorSkin Tires - Clincher

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Continental Gatorskin Folding Tire: Highly puncture-resistant casing with Duraskin sidewall protection. High mileage carbon-black tread compound. Continental has changed the name of the Ultra Gatorskin to Gatorskin. No changes...

Submitted by lewisworrall@live.com a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2017

Strengths:    Tough, handle well, long life

Weaknesses:    Slower compared with a faster tires, a bit heavy and plasticky.

Bottom Line:
This is a great tire if a GP4000 S2 gets too easily damaged on the the rear. Where I live the roads can be very smooth or be covered in metal shards, glass or even have massive pot-holes. Unfortunately this means the GP4000 S2 can't feasibly cut it on the rear or my enduro rides.

I've had very few punctures with it and contrary to the other reviews it seems quite quick certainly if running a GP4000 S2 on the front. It's at least as quick as a Schwalbe Durano Plus, which is a similar tire.

I highly recommend it IF you need it.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Durano Plus, Conti Gatorskin, Specialized Espoir, and every MTB under the sun.

Submitted by Charlie a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2015

Strengths:    Practically indestructable, decent ride for such a tough tire, pretty good grip.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I have been running these for a several years now, absolutely love them! I commute in Metro Detroit area and the roads here a totally bombed out at best. I like to cruise the ghetto areas and getting a flat there could be much more then an inconvenience in a hurry. I have not had a flat in a year with these. Great tires

Favorite Ride:   Detroit ghetto back streets

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer tourguard

Bike Setup:   Bianchi San Jose single speed cross bike. Riser bar, Brooks B17, King headset, DT wheels, rear V brake with Avid lever, rusted bare metal finish.

Submitted by cam a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2014

Strengths:    They last forever.
Nil punctures to date.

Weaknesses:    Terrible ride.
Wet weather grip.
Heavy (but most tyres like this are)

Bottom Line:
Awsome if you want a long lasting tire. Terrible if you like riding. I've got these on my commuter and i iwesh they would wear out so I can replace them. I guess they do their role well if puncture resistance and tire wear is your highest priority. That said they are really harsh riding and wet weather grip (which tends to occur if you commute a fair bit) is very sketchy. When it rains I just back right off as they've let go a few times on me, with no warning.
The harshness. Well, I have these on steel frameset, an open prior wheelset, 28mm width and run about 95psi and they ride harsher than my 23mm tires on my CAAD10 aluminium bike. The sidewalls are the key as to prevent pinch flats they are really stiff and so ride that way.
So, in short. I won't buy these again as I value a nice ride and grip a bit higher. Will aim for a tire with a bit more give, knowing I may occasionally have a flat or wear them out.

Favorite Ride:   Varying the commute

Open Pro wheelset
Ritchey kit.

Submitted by trailmix

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    Nearly indestructable

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
For commuting, it is hard to beat these tires. They are pricey but I guess you get what you pay for. Before I installed these, I destroyed 2 sets of cheap Bontragers in 2 months. These have been on for the same amount of time and show practically no wear!

Submitted by mike

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    strong
very strong

Weaknesses:    pricey. (but worth it)

Bottom Line:
I love love love these tires. oh yeah did I mention I love these tires. I have yet to get a flat on them in over 1500 miles of hammering on these bad boys. I am sold bottom line. the only thing I wish is that they had a variety of colors.