Continental Giro 300 Tires - Clincher

2.5/5 (6 Reviews)

For fast training.

Submitted by Hooberfloob a Road Racer from Goon Twp. PA 15108

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2004

Strengths:    Forget it

Weaknesses:    Not enough room here

Bottom Line:
Everything about this tire screams "Garbage". I tried everything to get this tire to sit right on my Fiamme Red Labels to no avail. The damn tire must have been manufactured out of whack. Nothing worse than spending 30 bucks on a "unround" tire. The neon orange valve caps look like crap as well. Stay clear of these babies.....cost constraints really show on them.

Favorite Ride:   Raleigh Professional (1972)

Similar Products Used:   Clement Strada TT

Submitted by Steve Jay a Road Racer from St Petersburg, Florida, usa

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    poor fit, construction, handling, and out of round. Did I forget anything?

Bottom Line:
Someone needs to be warned about these. They are fat and no good. The sprinters are 1000% better. 900 miles on back and it developed a casing warp; front went to back, and an old 19mm was salvaged for the front, and the bike handles 50 times better! What awful tires. Plus they are poorly finished off around the valve area so the tire doesn't seat properly anyway.

Favorite Ride:   Any one I return from

Purchased At:   local bike store

Similar Products Used:   Tufo, Vittoria, De'allesandro, and continental Sprinter

Bike Setup:   Record Carbonio-Campagnolo. Rims: sun Mistral race-only

Submitted by Steel Frame Tubulars Only a Road Racer from Ny, Ny

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Strengths:    Cheaper than $80 tires

Weaknesses:    Not round, don't fill pass 110 psi.

Bottom Line:
I have now bought and returned or tossed three or four of these crap tubulars. They are not round. All of them have or will develop quickly a lum near the valve. For this kind of money, I expect at least round tires.

Favorite Ride:   Nyack

Purchased At:   store

Similar Products Used:   you name the tubular brand

Bike Setup:   Colubus SL/ campy chorus

Submitted by D Alex a Recreational Rider from upstate NY

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive. Black.

Weaknesses:    Lumpy

Bottom Line:
Well, these were a dissapointment. After using $h!tty Vittorias for a couple of months, thought that I would spend an extra $10 per, and get some nicer tubies. Well, these things were only a slight improvement. I really wouldn't have been so dissapointed if they were at least ROUND, but they weren't. One was actually WORSE than the cr@ppy Vittorias, and I sent it back for a refund. I'm keeping the other one as a spare, but now I ride on Sprinters.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Rally, Conti Sprinter

Bike Setup:   on front and rear

Submitted by Frank Lovro a Road Racer from Székesfehérvár, Hungary

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Strengths:    Smoothly running, long lasting, cheap, goes up to 10 bars.

Weaknesses:    Bit weak sidewalls.

Bottom Line:
I was training with these tires for more than two years, and I can say, I'm very satisfied with them. They can be inflated up to 120 PSI (10 bar), which allows be a smooth running, easy to ride. The pattern is ideal for wet roads, provides good stability on curves. The middle pattern for straight cycling disappeared fast (in around 700 kilometers). However I found these tires oe of the most reliable ones. I ran an average of 5000 kilometers with my front tire, and around 6000 with the rear, which I think is very good for this price, and makes the Conti Giro tires one of the longest-lasting tires of the market.

I haven't experienced any problems with the base tape, it strayed on its place. Also, only one of my tire got punctured, the others became simply old. However, I find the sidewalls of the Giro a bit too weak, it can get very easily injured if you go up to the pavement or something, and these injuries can even be fatal.

Anyhow, I recommend these tubulars to all kind of cyclists. For hobby riders it's an ideal all-weather tire, and for pros it's ideal for training.