Continental GP Force Tires - Clincher

2.92/5 (12 Reviews)

The Force is currently only sold in pairs with the GP Attack (front).

700x23c

Submitted by bwildermuth625@me.com a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    smooth ride, fast rollers. Good race day tire but not a good every day tire.

Weaknesses:    poor puncture resistance

Bottom Line:
I replaced a pair of Conti gatorskins with these and have been disappointed. The puncture resistance is nowhere near what I experienced with the gatorskins. I had maybe two flats in a year and a half on the gatorskins but with the to I have a flat (no exageration) every other week.

Favorite Ride:   el tour de Tucson

Purchased At:   bike tires direct

Similar Products Used:   congo gatorskins

Bike Setup:   stock specialized allez elite

Submitted by emanolas a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    Grip in both wet and dry

Weaknesses:    The tire isn't very communicative doesn't really let you know whats going on. It goes from edge of traction to breaking loose very quickly.

The sidewall does seem weak, cracks have started to appear.

Bottom Line:
In about 1500kms i haven't had 1 flat or puncture through the casing of the tire. I had a puncture but that was related to some cheap rim tape and a spoke poking through.

Reading the reviews you would think these tires get punctures all the time. I ride through industrial areas (with glass all over the road and ive never had a problem.

Im not a light rider at 230lbs (i usually inflate the tire to 110psi).

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale R900 CAAD3

Submitted by Mike a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight
Good looks

Weaknesses:    Weak casing
Bad peformance wet/dry
Poor wear

Bottom Line:
These tires are not good. That is a fair synopsis of my experience. I bought them considering their so-called puncture resistance and front/rear engineering balance, but was disappointed in both aspects.

As far as puncture resistance goes, I get a flat on nearly every other ride. It's infuriating, and the rubber has been torn to shreds. For comparison, I run cheap-o Vredesteins from performance without any hiccups, and Michelin pro race on race day, with only one flat in 4 sets of tires. So, no-go on the flat protection.

All of that could be forgiven if the performance were awe-inspiring. Unfortunately, it is not. The grip feels minimal, and when it gives, it gives in a brutal way that leaves your rear tire skipping across the ground. The aforementioned Michelins let you know when they're gonna go, and do it gradually. Furthermore, the wear is incredibly fast, so these aren't even good as trainers. Rolling resistance also "feels" higher than michelins, though lower than the cheap-o Vredesteins. The performance of these tires is terrifying in the rain.

I've been looking for an alternative to the Frenchy juggernaut, but am afraid I'll have to keep looking.

Similar Products Used:   Vredestein Fortezza, Specialized Mondo, Michelin ProRace2

Bike Setup:   TCR Advanced

Submitted by andrewjn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2007

Strengths:    Sounds like a good concept

Weaknesses:    Poor performace, flat spots, not what I was expecting from a high performance tyre

Bottom Line:
Well what can you say. The company write ups on this combined pair make you salivate with the potentially brilliant outcomes .Wrong. First of all with a pair of Campy Neutrons it took me about 1 hour plus to fit them. I can usually change a tyre in five mins max and not use levers. These mothers had me using everything including the kitchen sink. Okay once on I hoped that no any other issues would appear. Wrong again. Had them on for about two months of acceptable riding ( not great traction but okay) and went on a hill ride. Could not quite work out why I felt distinctly ill at ease at 60 kph descending when I have done 70's and felt untroubled. On the way back home stopped at a set of lights and noticed a flat spot about 4 cm long ( like described by others) and some canvass. Was not a braking flat spot as this had not happened Could not wait to get back to the Michelin Pro Races 2 and since then nothing but great peformance since. The front tyre is still okay and is on a spare bike for slow rides , and that is about it. Will not be wasting anymore time searching around tyres. When you find something that works , stick to it

Favorite Ride:   Down the coast

Purchased At:   Pro Bike

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Pro Race 2 and 1. Vredstein Fortessa

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3, Campag Chorus and Neutrons, FSA bars and Crankset

Submitted by Ivan Kolarik a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    Weight, rolling resistance, looks and very easy to install on the rim even when brand new.

Weaknesses:    As described above. Very poor puncture resistance. Threads of material constantly coming off the side walls.

Bottom Line:
I am retired road/track racer. I do ride my Colnago C40 at every opportunity except when it is pouring down with rain. I do approximately 60 km on every ride (I am 61 year old bugger) and I go for top equipment. That's the reason as to why I purchased the pair of these. In my racing days (finished competing about five years ago) I used Contis GP 2000 (not terribly happy) and lately I have been using outstanding Michelin Pro Race 2. However, I shod my Fulcrum Racing Zeros with a pair of red Contis. They roll beautifully BUT I had puncture EVERY day I went for a training ride. The are hopelessly fragile and although the good ladies from Germany claim that they have ant-puncture layer-it really is very hard to believe. Yes, they are light, fast but bloody useless unless you have a van following you full of spares! I have completely lost any confidence in them. Also, in Australia they sell for insane A$200 a pair!!! What a joke if you don't have any faith in them. In addition to extremely poor anti-puncture propery, they seem to lose threads of material on the side. So, I went back to Michelins Pro Race 2's which are fraction heavier but they also roll fantastic and so far (touch wood) I haven't had a single puncture. One more thing-the rear Conti had a funny little flat spot about 4 cm long on it. Like a little prolapse. As I got them from overseas I didn't make any effort to make a claim. And you know what? I am now stuck with another pair of brand new Contis!! I guess that Contis would be pretty good at criteriums where the surface is usually of good quality free of debris.

Favorite Ride:   Anytime except when it is really wet

Purchased At:   Probikekit. UK on-li

Similar Products Used:   As described above. Michelin Pro Race 2. Excellent tire-long lasting, fast, reliable. Will no longer experiment as I am very happy with them.

Bike Setup:   Colnago C40 with Campagnolo 2007 Record ensamble. FSA carbon stem and seat post, Keo titanium pedals, Fizik Arione saddle, Fulcrum Racing Zero red wheelset.

Conti Grand Prix 2009 24c / GP Force

Anyone tried the 2009 GP in 24c? Was thinking about these or the Force (for front and rear). They're not a lot heavier than the Force (230 to 210), so could be a good cheapskate option with reasonable protection and comfort.Read More »

New GP 4000 Chili or Force/Attack Combo?

Which would you guys suggest the new GP 4000 Chili or the Force/Attack Combo? I'm 190lb and basically do fast triaining, no racing in usually great so cal weather.Read More »