Continental GP Supersonic Tires - Clincher

• Inflate to Max 10 Bar/145 psi
  • Weight 158 grams

Submitted by Aras Tijunelis a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    Light, fast and tight.

Weaknesses:    wear--but who cares.

Bottom Line:
I bought these for races only, but I wish I could use them-always. I used them during Wisconsin Ironman. They did great. Although, because they're so light and fast, the greatest impact would be seen in a shorter race. I didn't take them off after the race. I rode on a Computrainer over the off-season. My first ride outside, I had a blow out--it's then that I realized how much I wore off the rubber. I was riding on my tubes!

Favorite Ride:   Around East Troy, Southern Wisconsin

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   verdestein, michelin etc.

Bike Setup:   Felt F-15, Ksyrium SSL?

Submitted by abro a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    Balls out, no compromise, super fast and solid racing tire.

Weaknesses:    They probably wouldn't last to long as a training tire but that is not their reason for living.

Bottom Line:
After reading some of the earlier reviews on this site, I was a little hesitant about these tires. But there was no reason for that because these tires are solid, fast and smooth. I used them on a 90km half ironman course with a nasty, CHUNKY, chip seal road surface. During the race they felt very light and fast. After the race I checked them out half expecting them to be all torn up but there was not one cut, chip or even a mark on them. Very impressed. When I got home I took em off and put them in the cupboard where they are supposed to be when I’m not racing. I am giving them a five for value because they will last me heaps of races.

Favorite Ride:   Mt Mee 180km loop

Purchased At:   River City Cycles Br

Similar Products Used:   First dedicated race tire

Bike Setup:   Cervelo P3 team

Submitted by rcrouse2 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2004

Strengths:    Super lightweight and super high pressure, up to 170psi. Rolls without effort and winds up immediately. You will ride a full 1 mph or better faster than any other tire, it's that good.

Weaknesses:    Tread wear. These don't last long but at 140 grams, how can they?

Bottom Line:
Incredible tire provided you aren't expecting long life. This is your race day tire, it's easily faster than any other tire I've tried. I'm rating this only as a race tire and not as a training tire. Not for training!!

Favorite Ride:   Any ride with Naples Velo

Purchased At:   worldclasscycles.com

Similar Products Used:   GP3000's, Michelin Pro-race, Vredestein Tricomp's, Veloflex, plus a ton of others.

Bike Setup:   Full carbon Kuota Ksana, Campy Eros wheels, full Dura Ace.

Submitted by sorebut a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2004

Strengths:    LOWEST Rolling resistance. Light.

Weaknesses:    not very comfortable, wear out faster, smaller then the stated size.

Bottom Line:
I use those tires for a few thousand miles now. I was warned about excessive flats and blowups..
I must say I was worried a bit my self when I felt how light they were..
However, I had only 3 flats (in one ride!) with those tires, and the 3 flats had to do with a bad rim tape.
When you inflate a tire to 145 psi, the tube finds its way into the smallest spaces.. A new Velox rim tape fixed the problem
The tires roll like a dream!!!! I can go down hill coasting, and passing other riders still pedaling.
This is not a comfort tire, you feel every little imperfection of the road, but as I said, they have the lowest rolling resistance of any tire I rode on.
I believe one of the reason you can inflate those tires to 145psi is partly because the tire is smaller then the 23c stated on the sidewall. To me it looks like a 22 or 21.. Which means that you will need to recalibrate your computer for the new circumference.
They probably wear out faster then the other grand prix but I personally don't mind.

Similar Products Used:   Conti Grand Prix 3000, 2000.

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR1, triple, 105/Ultegra mix.

Experience with Cont GP Supersonic clincher ?

I consider buying the clinchers Continental Grand Prix Supersonic. This tire has an extremely low weight (140 g for 20 mm version!!). But, it is mentioned on the site that the puncture resistance and lifetime is not as good as other models. Has anyone used these tires? How about them?Read More »