Continental Grand Prix 3000 Clincher Tires - Clincher

3.66/5 (121 Reviews)

ASC(R) (Activated Silica Compound) technology balances reduced rolling resistance with the highest possible grip. Silica tread rubber delivers increased dry adhesion for better cornering and braking with zero detriment wet weather traction. Five-ply casing of Polyamide nylon further reduces rolling resistance and tire weight for faster acceleration and better handling. Natural rubber layer over the tire's sidewall improves the tire's scuff resistance.

Submitted by NCTYKE a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2007

Strengths:    No flats and handle well

Weaknesses:    Wear quite quickly and not the fastest tires

Bottom Line:
Pretty durable no flats in the first 1100 miles. Rear tire flatted within 800miles and had to switch to front. OK in the wet and handle very predictable. Seam a little slow to accelerate and not that fast. I am however 200lb +

Favorite Ride:   Any without potholes !!

Similar Products Used:   Michein pro race light,
Continential ultra sport

Bike Setup:   Lemond Bureo Aires

Submitted by ebowen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2006

Strengths:    Durability, durability, durability.

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance, grip, and weight. Depending on your rims, they can be a little difficult to mount.

Bottom Line:
After year's of use, and trying out many different tires and brands, this is still my number 1 pick for daily riding. They are incredibly durable and are a great choice if you mix road riding with an indoor training, which usually kills the life of a rear tire. I always get at least 2k miles out of these with very few flats.

Now the negatives, or I should say the tradeoffs. If it is going to rain, or I know I'm going to be bombing down swithcbacks, I'll use another tire with softer rubber; these are not very "grippy". These aren't the fastest or lightest kids on the block, either.

Still, ounce for ounce, the best option out there for dealing with all the glass and other crap on our public roads.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Allen's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Too many to name.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5900 with Bontrager Race Xlight wheels.

Submitted by Greg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    Corners like your on rails. Great stopping power.

Weaknesses:    So far, none.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. It wasn't until I had to make an emergency turn, that I learned how well these things grip. I have a few cuts, but no flats. I am now constantly pushing them on training rides and am always amazed at the grip. My previous Specialized tires would never have held on in the same conditions.

Favorite Ride:   Sydenham Hill

Purchased At:   Bike Show

Similar Products Used:   Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Devinci Silverstone, mostly 105 with Ultegra cables and R der.

Submitted by Jim R a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Long lasting, comfortable ride, few flats.

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey at $50 per tire.

Bottom Line:
Great tires that last a long time and hardly ever flat.

I pump them up to 125psi even though they're only rated to 120psi. they last over 2000 miles (rear, front lasts longer) and I typically only flat once perseason.

I'm a clydesdale (6'1" and 215lbs) and these tires ride comfortably and are dependable. I don't know what else you can ask out of a tire.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Straduis Pro
Hutchison
Michelin Pro

Bike Setup:   Trek 5900, Dura Ace, etc...

Submitted by allgoo19 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2006

Strengths:    Good sticky tread and wears good where it has enough rubber.

Weaknesses:    Lousy quality control. One spot starts showing the inner belt through the rubber within 1000 miles.

Bottom Line:
I don't buy brand name premium priced tires very often. This is the first time I tried Continental because I heard people saying good about the brand in some online forum and I was very disappointed. I'll never buy another Continental again.
I had been using store brand tires before this tire, mostly from Performance and quite happy with them. I didn't keep record but I'm guessing well over 3000 miles on each tire, with minimal flat as long as the pressure kept high enough.
This time with Continetal GP3000, I kept the record, because this was my first brand name tire, so I was curious. Little before 1000 miles mark I started noticing something black across the orange colored tread(it was on the rear wheel, for the record). I thought it was just stain it picked up on the street. It kept growing bigger and bigger instead of going away. After while, it started showing the thread of casing, probably Kevlar? Honestly, I couldn't belive what I got for spending nearly three times the price of other store brand tires in the past. Just before I started writing this review I found some other users had the same experience and I'm very glad that I wasn't the only one. I also hope that my review helps people from wasting money. Buying an expensive tire doesn't always mean you are getting something better.
Next time, I'll check this review site before I buy any tires, specially if it's an expensive one.

Favorite Ride:   Any steep hills

Purchased At:   Performance(Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Series of cheap store brand name Japanese made tires.

Bike Setup:   Old 80's Japanese vintage steel bike. Don't call it a junker.