Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Tires - Clincher

3.79/5 (63 Reviews)

Tough just got tougher with the addition of the Vectran anti-puncture breaker. The ultimate combination of speed lightweight and all-weather performance combined with excellent puncture and sidewall protection. Black casing with added DuraSkin sidewall

Submitted by Oswald a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2016

Strengths:    Very durable, no flats.

Weaknesses:    Pricy, not very comfortable despite 28mm size.

Bottom Line:
I bought a used bike that came with 28mm Conti 4 Season tires. So they had already seen some use. I've done thousands of kilometers over the past 2 years on them and they don't show much wear. They are very durable. I use them mostly in the winter, since they don't seem to flat easily. They lack a bit of grip, probably caused by the hard rubber compound. Despite the high msrp I would recommend them.

Favorite Ride:   Route des Collines

Purchased At:   BMC

Similar Products Used:   Too much to list.

Bike Setup:   BMC GF01, DA 7900, Pacenti SL23 on Hope Mono RS.

Submitted by BruiserBob

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2016

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Sidewall prone to catastrophic failure just above the Kevlar bead. I feel lucky to be alive when mine failed going 51km/h on a mountain descent. A Google search shows numerous examples of these failures in the sidewall.

Bottom Line:
Poor manufacturing quality. Completely unsafe due to potential for sidewall rupture.

Submitted by 425bulldog

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2015

Strengths:    I replaced my OEM tires due to 3 flats in about 200 miles. I ride in the eastern half of Washington State where we have lots of puncture vine or (goat heads). The roads are dirty full of broken glass and other sharp objects. Have not had a single flat in about 1500 miles since switching to the GP 4 Season. Overall really happy.

Weaknesses:    I was hoping to get at least 3000 miles out of them but with small chunks starting to come off I'm not sure they will make it to 2000 miles.

Bottom Line:
Overall a good tire for the pacific northwest and all of our rain and dirty roads. If you need something with good wet weather grip and puncture protection this is a great option.

Submitted by John Mairice

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, ride, and grip.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Haven ridden on lots of tires over the last forty years these Conti 4 seasons are my favorite.I have ridden over junk with these that would have punctured most other tires.These still ride nice especially the 28 mm ones I use on my winter bike.One cold wet roads they grip well.The best tire for all conditions around I have found.

Submitted by M. Smith

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2013

Strengths:    Supple ride, puncture resistance, traction

Weaknesses:    Cost (maybe)

Bottom Line:
The best all weather tire I've owned, and I've ridden too many to recite. 330 tpi provides exceptional ride quality for an endurance tire. Very durable - over 1K miles on dirty, unkept winter roads with no punctures, etc. (road GP 4000s in similar conditions all of 2 rides before experiencing catastrophic side wall blow out. The GP 4000s is an even lighter, better riding tire, but the sidewalls are like paper compared to GP 4 Season...)
I don't agree with reviews criticizing traction. My rule of thumb is to break in new tires over 5-10 miles as they're generally pretty slick right out of the box. And many factors play into traction besides tire design/composition: weather, air temperature, type of pavement, oil/solvents on road, speed, lean angle, etc. If you go into a corner too hot with an aggressive lean angle in poor conditions, you're going to go down even if your tires typically behave like velcro.