Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II Tires - Clincher

Submitted by Reginald Morton

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2017

Strengths:    Its just the best tire, that all

Weaknesses:    They are very hard to mount but well worth the hassle.

Bottom Line:
It took me a while to drop the cash on Gp4ks but after the first ride I'm kicking myself for waiting. Simple put, these tires are like riding on silky smooth sticky rails and they completely transform my riding style. Gone are the impulses of fear and uncertainty when entering a corner, instead I power lean more without a hint of losing traction. These tire suck and stick to the road and yet are fast rolling, it's an impossible feat but the Gp4000 feel as if they have magical powers. And did I forget to mention they are above average puncture and wear resistance, I had more flats and more wear with the gaterskins they replaced. After 4 months of daily rides to work and back with 3- 3hr fitness rides per week, I can't find any obvious wear and tear. Did i say that they are great in the rain, also?! Regardless of what they sale for, the GP 4000s are $100 tires and if they sold for more, they'd still be a bargain. Great work Continental, extremely satisfied loyal customer.

Submitted by T Connell

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2016

Strengths:    Durable, Fast, Low rolling resistance, Great traction

Bottom Line:
You really need to purchase a pair of these beauties and ride them to appreciate them. I use these for all rides as they are fast and they are also dependable. Tread life out performs all other tires that I have tried. Once I used these I was sold. Been using the GP4000 S and now the GP4000 S II's for years. You can pick up a pair from Merlin Cyles for around $75-$80 bucks with free flight.

Submitted by Adam's a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2015

Strengths:    soft ride, less rolling resistance, good grip

Weaknesses:    expensive $71 at LBS

Bottom Line:
i had read many reviews about these being difficult to mount so I bought 2 new tyres & mounted them myself outside the bike shop. If you are using just your thumbs then it will be a struggle & you'll need a lever. If you can roll the tire as if you were rolling up a newspaper & incorporate your wrists then you won't need a tool to mount it. Just work an 1" at a time & it's EZ. I did let the tyres sit in the sun for 15 minutes too. Pay attention to the rotational arrow when mounting them.
My old tyres were Specialized all conditions tyres with the rino liner. Understandably these are much nicer & at the 25mm size they are softer than the 23s i had.
my rolling resistance is much less now. My computer shows my down hill speeds noticeably faster 8-10 mph.
They corner well & feel secure in the turns.
My only concern is how puncture resistant will they be?
I'll keep you posted as commute & ride recreationally 150 miles per week.

Bike Setup:   i ride an aluminum CAAD frame with carbon fork & seat post. Ultergra.

Submitted by Audley Yung

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2014

Strengths:    Very smooth, light, easier to start off at stop lights suprisingly. Decent puncture protection. Grippy even during hard cornering and leaning in wet weather. Don't get TOO crazy though.

Weaknesses:    A little bit expensive, but if it's just a once every 2 years thing than your safety and comfort is worth it.

Bottom Line:
Excellent tire for the price, fronts will last well over 2000 miles. Rears will last for about 900-1500 miles depending on the road. very smooth ride, if you want a more concise take on it with some photos of how much abuse this tire can really take click on my more in depth opinion here:

Submitted by CHRISN

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2014

Strengths:    GRIP, ROLL FAST

Weaknesses:    COST

Bottom Line:
EXCELLENT GRIP, EXCELLENT PUNCTURE PROTECTION, LAST PRETTY WELL,ROLL REALLY FAST, JUST NOT CHEAP