Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II Tires - Clincher

Submitted by Adam's a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2015

Strengths:    soft ride, less rolling resistance, good grip

Weaknesses:    expensive $71 at LBS

Bottom Line:
i had read many reviews about these being difficult to mount so I bought 2 new tyres & mounted them myself outside the bike shop. If you are using just your thumbs then it will be a struggle & you'll need a lever. If you can roll the tire as if you were rolling up a newspaper & incorporate your wrists then you won't need a tool to mount it. Just work an 1" at a time & it's EZ. I did let the tyres sit in the sun for 15 minutes too. Pay attention to the rotational arrow when mounting them.
My old tyres were Specialized all conditions tyres with the rino liner. Understandably these are much nicer & at the 25mm size they are softer than the 23s i had.
my rolling resistance is much less now. My computer shows my down hill speeds noticeably faster 8-10 mph.
They corner well & feel secure in the turns.
My only concern is how puncture resistant will they be?
I'll keep you posted as commute & ride recreationally 150 miles per week.

Bike Setup:   i ride an aluminum CAAD frame with carbon fork & seat post. Ultergra.

Submitted by Audley Yung

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2014

Strengths:    Very smooth, light, easier to start off at stop lights suprisingly. Decent puncture protection. Grippy even during hard cornering and leaning in wet weather. Don't get TOO crazy though.

Weaknesses:    A little bit expensive, but if it's just a once every 2 years thing than your safety and comfort is worth it.

Bottom Line:
Excellent tire for the price, fronts will last well over 2000 miles. Rears will last for about 900-1500 miles depending on the road. very smooth ride, if you want a more concise take on it with some photos of how much abuse this tire can really take click on my more in depth opinion here:

Submitted by CHRISN

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2014

Strengths:    GRIP, ROLL FAST

Weaknesses:    COST

Submitted by David

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Strengths:    Fairly durable, great grip, easy rolling.

Weaknesses:    Not the longest wearing tires out there.

Bottom Line:
I put a set of these on in the spring, and after 3,000 miles the front tire is still in great shape, but I'm on my second rear tire. This is pretty typical for me. The grip on wet or dry roads is excellent. On dry roads most tires are good. But after a 111 mile ride through the rain I became a believer in these tires as they performed really well and conditions were, well, horrible. The tires are pretty durable, and the only flat I experienced was a pinch flat caused by a pothole I didn't see in time. Overall, just a great all-around tire.