Continental Grand Prix 4000s Tires - Clincher

4.03/5 (91 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Continental Grand Prix 4000S Folding Tire boasts global appeal as the best all round race bike tyre on the market. Not only is it fast and super grippy, thanks to its state of the art Black Chili rubber compound, but it is also tough with a healthy tr

Submitted by Typetwelve

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2013

Strengths:    Nice ride, great grip.

Weaknesses:    Fatal sidewall cut at 250 miles...it seems I'm not the only one to have this problem either.

Bottom Line:
Although I am mostly happy with the ride of the 4000s...I have to be honest and say I've found a better ride with a different brand. Compared to others, the 4000s is a bit harder but not to an extreme level.

My only complaint is getting a fatal sidewall cut on a relatively brand new tire. $50 down the drain. Looking this up, it seems this is a total "hit or miss" issue with this tire. The bad part is there seems to be plenty of "hits" when you do an internet search for "conti GP 4000s sidewall cut".

Figuring I've found a better ride with a different brand and they have lasted me all summer and 1000+ miles without a flat, I probably won't be buying another set of these anytime soon.

Submitted by R D Creek a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2013

Strengths:    Great traction, snappy acceleration, good road feel, long wearing, secure feeling in corners, decent ride.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of. They can be expensive to buy, but the performance and mileage you get from them, in my opinion, makes the price worth it.

Bottom Line:
My tires are the 700x23s. I finally replaced the rear tire, with another GP 4000 after more than 3700 miles as the wear indicators got difficult to find. The front still looks like new.(The mold mark is still visible down the center) I got a small cut in the rear at about a thousand miles that you could see the anti puncture belt through and thought I was screwed but it never proved to be a problem. I always felt secure in the tight curves, these tires grip the pavement very well. I actually hit 50.95 MPH the other day on a steep twisty section and was very comfortable all the way down. Some other reviews I have read indicate that others have had poor luck with these tires flatting etc., but I learned very early in my road riding experience if I made sure my tires were properly inflated before "every" ride I almost eliminated problems with flatting, and I ride some very nasty Pennsylvania rural roads. I have only had 1 flat about 5000 miles ago,(a tiny sliver of metal) and it wasn't on this bike or a GP 4000. I'm sure there are clinchers out there better suited for pure racing, but, a performance oriented recreational rider like myself may find this tire a perfect combination of long wear and high performance. Personally, I'm sold on these tires and will buy them again for both of my road bikes. These tires have been so good to me I don't think I want to take a chance with others.

Favorite Ride:   MS 150 Keystone Country Ride

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis fuse, IRC Redstorm, Neither are in the same category as the GP 4000.

Bike Setup:   Frame up custom built NOS 07 Cannondale Synapse SL,(Liquigas Team Edition) 2010 Sram Red shifters, 1091R chain, Force derailleurs and brakes, Ksyrium SL wheels, FSA SLK compact crankset, K-Force seat post, K-Wing bar and OS 115 stem. fizik Antaries saddle, Ultegra cassette and 105 pedals. Continental GP 4000S tires.

Submitted by ezliven

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Tires grip road really well. They're light weight and good milage.

Weaknesses:    None I've found

Bottom Line:
I've run 4 sets of these tires in the last couple years and have not had any problems with them. One set I ran over a peice of glass and cut the side wall, put a boot in the tires and rode about 40 miles back home on it. I've agooten about 3 to 4 thousand miles out of each set. Well pleased with them.

Submitted by Ilalo

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    Rolls nicely, the grip is good and absorbs the vibration very good -thanks I think to the soft compound.

Weaknesses:    Sides blow up!!! I have purchased 3 tires -and I will never do it again! and 2 of them blew up, under similar conditions -the side of the tire hit an object on the road-. Fortunately both cases were on the rear tire. Other reviewers are right, the sides of the tire are too weak. It is also a very expensive tire, considering they have last less than 1000 miles in each case.

Bottom Line:
Nice feeling, but very unreliable, due to the weak sidewalls. I have used at 110 psi -I weight 155 pounds-.

Submitted by Ramon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2013

Strengths:    Soft comfortable ride.

Weaknesses:    Flats, flats, flats.. I got these 4000s as a replacement for my Vittoria Rubino pro3 tech .. thought is give them a try. Well after only 200 km the flats started. Pinch fla in particular. Always the rerear wheel. Rotated the wheels to see if the tier was the problem or the rim. . Conclusion. Tiers are too soft to support my weight 87kg. Every time I ride them I get pinch flats. So replaced them with Vittoria Rubinos .. not a problem.

Bottom Line:
Soft comfortable ride.
Too many Pinch flats I'm 87kg.
Good grip on road.

Favorite Ride:   Adelaide south Australia.