Continental Grand Prix 4000s Tires - Clincher

4.05/5 (93 Reviews)

The Continental Grand Prix 4000S Folding Tire boasts global appeal as the best all round race bike tyre on the market. Not only is it fast and super grippy, thanks to its state of the art Black Chili rubber compound, but it is also tough with a healthy tr

Submitted by Geoff Thomas

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Strengths:    Highest mileage tire I have used in a long time- good traction and suppleness. I have not seen any of the sidewall issues that others are talking about.

Weaknesses:    Conti just quit making them- I'll bet the new GP 4000S 2 tires are not as durable...

Bottom Line:
On the balance the best high mileage tire I have ridden- better than Vredistein TriComps, better than Vittoria Rubino Pro's.
If someone ran a deal on these I'd scoop up a couple of pairs.
BTW high mileage is over 4000 miles on the rear one. I weigh 162 lbs and run 25's at around 100-110 psi. No issues whatsoever.

Submitted by Tom Stricklin

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2014

Strengths:    Very durable, light, dependable until worn down, rolling resistance noticeably better than other tires. Easy on, easy off the rim.

Weaknesses:    I have not had the sidewall problems I see mentioned, but the sidewall does tend to thread off. That is to say that the sidewall after many miles and about 50% wear starts unraveling, the threads can come off and wrap around the axle.

Bottom Line:
Overall I have been very happy with these tires. I have given away old tires to friends who ride on them for years, (they don't ride the kind of miles or intensity that I do). I rotate my tires roughly every 500 miles when I clean my bike and I can get 2500 to 3000 miles out of a set, I ride hard and fast on some questionable roads in Southern California.

Submitted by Typetwelve

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2013

Strengths:    Nice ride, great grip.

Weaknesses:    Fatal sidewall cut at 250 miles...it seems I'm not the only one to have this problem either.

Bottom Line:
Although I am mostly happy with the ride of the 4000s...I have to be honest and say I've found a better ride with a different brand. Compared to others, the 4000s is a bit harder but not to an extreme level.

My only complaint is getting a fatal sidewall cut on a relatively brand new tire. $50 down the drain. Looking this up, it seems this is a total "hit or miss" issue with this tire. The bad part is there seems to be plenty of "hits" when you do an internet search for "conti GP 4000s sidewall cut".

Figuring I've found a better ride with a different brand and they have lasted me all summer and 1000+ miles without a flat, I probably won't be buying another set of these anytime soon.

Submitted by R D Creek a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2013

Strengths:    Great traction, snappy acceleration, good road feel, long wearing, secure feeling in corners, decent ride.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of. They can be expensive to buy, but the performance and mileage you get from them, in my opinion, makes the price worth it.

Bottom Line:
My tires are the 700x23s. I finally replaced the rear tire, with another GP 4000 after more than 3700 miles as the wear indicators got difficult to find. The front still looks like new.(The mold mark is still visible down the center) I got a small cut in the rear at about a thousand miles that you could see the anti puncture belt through and thought I was screwed but it never proved to be a problem. I always felt secure in the tight curves, these tires grip the pavement very well. I actually hit 50.95 MPH the other day on a steep twisty section and was very comfortable all the way down. Some other reviews I have read indicate that others have had poor luck with these tires flatting etc., but I learned very early in my road riding experience if I made sure my tires were properly inflated before "every" ride I almost eliminated problems with flatting, and I ride some very nasty Pennsylvania rural roads. I have only had 1 flat about 5000 miles ago,(a tiny sliver of metal) and it wasn't on this bike or a GP 4000. I'm sure there are clinchers out there better suited for pure racing, but, a performance oriented recreational rider like myself may find this tire a perfect combination of long wear and high performance. Personally, I'm sold on these tires and will buy them again for both of my road bikes. These tires have been so good to me I don't think I want to take a chance with others.

Favorite Ride:   MS 150 Keystone Country Ride

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis fuse, IRC Redstorm, Neither are in the same category as the GP 4000.

Bike Setup:   Frame up custom built NOS 07 Cannondale Synapse SL,(Liquigas Team Edition) 2010 Sram Red shifters, 1091R chain, Force derailleurs and brakes, Ksyrium SL wheels, FSA SLK compact crankset, K-Force seat post, K-Wing bar and OS 115 stem. fizik Antaries saddle, Ultegra cassette and 105 pedals. Continental GP 4000S tires.

Submitted by ezliven

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Tires grip road really well. They're light weight and good milage.

Weaknesses:    None I've found

Bottom Line:
I've run 4 sets of these tires in the last couple years and have not had any problems with them. One set I ran over a peice of glass and cut the side wall, put a boot in the tires and rode about 40 miles back home on it. I've agooten about 3 to 4 thousand miles out of each set. Well pleased with them.

Contis Grand Prix 4000S 23mm for $72/pair with US free shipping

Early Black Friday Sale!!! Till November 25th only or till supplies last. Buy 2 new pairs of [URL="http://www.tiremaniacs.com/continental_grand_prix_4000s_700x23c-details.aspx"]2012 Continental Grand Prix 4000S 23mm[/URL] tires for $144 with free continental US shipping via USPS Priority. I mig ... Read More »

Sidewall cut - Grand Prix 4000s

Rather than hijack the recent thread on the gatorskin sidewall failure, I’ll start my own. I hit something yesterday which put a cut in the side wall of my rear tire. A few of the casing treads are cut and it looks fairly deep considering how thin the sidewall is. Can this tire be considered sa ... Read More »

Grand Prix 4000s okay for everyday?

Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks with only 300 miles on them and I got two little cuts/chunks out of the tire, one on the front and one on the rear. I am afraid to ride them now. I liked the ride, but am leery of getting them again. Would Grand Prix 4000s be okay for everyday riding? I try not to ride ... Read More »

Continental Grand Prix 4000s vs Grand Prix 4-Season Tires.

I'm looking to commute with my road bike for a good chunk of the year even under rainier/colder conditions. I'm trying to choose between Continental's Grand Prix 4000s and thier Grand Prix 4-Season. I've heard that even the 4000s has good wet weather handling and is better for speed...I'm just not s ... Read More »

PSA: Continental Grand Prix 4000S on sale at Pro Bike Kit

$45.84 each, save 20% when you buy 2 2 tires shipped to the US = $73.34 Not sure if this is the right forum to post about deals, but I thought that I'd at least start here.Read More »