Continental Grand Prix Folding Tires - Clincher

3.25/5 (32 Reviews)

Continental Grand Prix 700x23 Black Chili Folding: Uses Black Chili Compound for greater grip, durability and reduced rolling resistance. PolyX breaker, a woven polyester layer that is highly resistant to punctures without...

Submitted by Big A a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2015

Strengths:    Grips well, long mileage tire, good price

Weaknesses:    The dreaded sidewall blowout

Bottom Line:
I have had decent luck with these tires and I will continue to use them. I have thought about upgrading to the 4000s, but I can't stomach paying more that what I already am for a tire. I am getting close to 2k out of each tire which is really good considering the crappy Texas roads I ride on. I have had one sidewall blowout out of the 5 tires I have purchased due to hitting a sharp rock. I wish my LBS would sell these tires but for some reason they quit, but you can find one on amazon for around $30.

Submitted by ladams a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2007

Strengths:    Good traction. Consistent quality. Good wear.

Weaknesses:    None that might be from outside source.

Bottom Line:
My favorite tire. I am 190 and 6'1". Most of my riding is on chipseal. I put in approx 7K miles per year and get on average 1K miles on a rear tire.

I have found these tires to be consistently durable with good traction. They seem to mount easily. I have had sidewall issues, but tires around here get beat up pretty well, so I can not say they are failure prone.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere anytime

Purchased At:   Variety

Similar Products Used:   Conti 3000, Conti 4000, Conti Force & Attack, Michelin Pro, Michelin Carbon, Verdesteen(?) Tricomp, Veloflex Pave. Vittoria Diamonte, Vittoria Corsa, Vittoria Rubino, Ritchey WCS, should I keep going?

Bike Setup:   Very nice.

Submitted by Keith Alvey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2007

Strengths:    Good durable all purpose tire

Weaknesses:    None if you keep the pressures up

Bottom Line:
Flatted both tyres first ride hitting a pot hole onto a bridge at high speed. From that I learnt to keep the pressures high and have only had one other flat in over 2000 miles. At 220+ pound, rear tire started to wear flat in the center at around 1500 miles with no sign of wear on the front. Switched front to rear and now have over 2000 miles on these with plenty left.

Favorite Ride:   Any smooth dry road

Similar Products Used:   Michelin axial pro

Bike Setup:   CAAD3 Cannondale R800

Submitted by Telemarketer a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2006

Strengths:    Classy look, reddish-brown 'conti-natural' look can't be beat; also the inverted tread pattern is nice. I have these on a tri-bike I use for solo endurance riding. I haven't carved on them but the weight and acceleration of the wheel is light, the handling predictable and rolling resistance balanced in temps from cold to hot. I will definetly purchase more 23mm's at this price.

Weaknesses:    The side-walls are very weak. I was plagued by pinch flats initially (Welcome to Michigan) but bumping the psi up helped. The 20mm takes far too many side strikes from road debris and the sidewall will unavoidable get cut, don't get that size unless you ride behind street sweepers. Also for some reason it was a very very tight, frustrating, fit on the 571 rim. The 23 had the same pinch prob. at low psi but the sidewall strikes weren't terminal, just scuffing, and the mounting was fine.

Bottom Line:
Very good econo-tire for <15$. I got 650c pair on a web-deal. One is 20 and one is 23mm.

Favorite Ride:   one road, 25mi out, 25mi in

Purchased At: (no long

Similar Products Used:   Continental Ultra 3000 wire-b

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Ironman 650c (stiff)

Submitted by MarcelDuchamp a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2003

Strengths:    durability, resilience, tan sidewalls look pretty cool too

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
These are great all purpose tires, they're durable, deliver a smooth ride, and they look great. I got a pair after I noticed the sidewalls of my performance Kevlar tires were shredding after about 800 miles. I've put around 400 miles on these and they still seem brand new. I ride all the time on roads where there is tons of sand, gravel and other debris that is harsh on tires and these take it perfectly. I have had no problems with the sidewalls AT ALL. These tires are incredibly tough; I accidentally went over a shattered beer bottle and could feel the glass crack under me, but the tires didn't flat! These are a decent value at full price and if you can find them on sale, get them! You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere, anytime