Continental Grand Prix Supersonic Tires - Clincher

3.72/5 (36 Reviews)

Continental Grand Prix SuperSonic: Continental Grand Prix Supersonic. Lightweight, high pressure race day tire...

Submitted by jij a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2011

Strengths:    Blazingly fast.
Supple, smooth ride.
Super-light.
Nice sound.
The best. 'nuff said.

Weaknesses:    Punctures, yes, but worth it.

Bottom Line:
Best tyre I've ever ridden. Yes they're prone to punctures because they're thin. But trust me, it's worth it. I can pedal 2 gears higher because of the extra speed.
The ride is supple and comfortable, and they made a nice pattering sound on the tarmac. You can run them at higher pressure as they more comfortable.
Beautiful. A source of joy.

Favorite Ride:   London to the South Coast

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Conti Attack/Force, Veloflex Corsa, Vittoria Open Corsa

Bike Setup:   Condor Italia, Chorus Carbon, Shamul clinchers. Weight: 7.6kg

Submitted by Robert a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    Fast and Light.

Weaknesses:    No puncture protection.

Bottom Line:
I've got the 20mm front & rear and I love them. They go to 160psi but I run them at about 150 because that's the max for my wheels.

Great tyre and makes an instant transformation if you've been riding anything else. The lower weight on the rims makes acceleration effortless and the higher pressures available with the thinner tyre make them roll very nice. Combine these with the supersonic tubes and you've got a tyre/tube combo under 200g!

However: As Conti state, there is zero puncture protection and just about anything will give you a flat. I'd hesitate to use these on anything except a smooth fast criterium/TT circuit where you can take a lap out and get a wheel change. You certainly wouldn't want them on longer races on back roads. I've had one flat so far (about 300km of racing and riding to races only) that was caused by a bit of bark on the road!?!? stuck into the tyre and sliced it.

Favorite Ride:   LACC Tennis Centre Crits

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Nothing

Bike Setup:   Trek 5.5 Madone, Kysrium ES, Dura Ace 7800. Conti Supersonic 700x20

Submitted by DRB44 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2007

Strengths:    Fast, low rolling resistance, sticky rubber for the turns, super light, ultra high pressure.

Weaknesses:    Thin and difficult to mount on all but the narrowest of rims. At 45-50 bucks a pop and <1000 miles per set they are not cheap, but the go fast.

Bottom Line:
I decided on these prior to reading the reviews on this site, something I rarely do, but they were vertually the only 20cm tire I could find without going to tubulars. Unlike some of the others I've zero problems with these since mounting them. I ride on some semi-rural and farm roads in Middle Tennessee/Kentucky, and road debrise has never been in issue in the 500 miles I've put on them. I weigh about 185-190 and run the tires between 135-140 psi. I feel it gives me the right balance of low rolling resistance and small amount of insurance against punctures. That being said, if I were to race these I would have a fresh set mounted and ready to go, and I would crank the pressure up above 160. These tires are remarkably sticky too for thin tires. I ahve never hesistated to lean into high speed turns or bomb downhills. I have a set mounted on super light Zipp 217/100 for climbing and a set on R28A3's with bladed spokes for the flat fast stuff and these tires work great on both. They were however a struggle to mount on the Neuvation's, but they slipped right on the Zipp's with almost no effort.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere/Anytime

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Road Force, Maxxis Fuse, Conti GP 3000

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD 9 with Neuvation R28 A3 and Zipp 217/100 on Velocity Deep V Aero Head rims

Submitted by Brett Kelley a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent grip. Surprisingly good flat resistance (I've only had three flats in about 500 miles of riding). Excellent weight savings.

Weaknesses:    $49 for a tire... for a bike?!??! I used to buy tires for my car that cost that much each. But you must not doubt der German qualitat!! Expensive but worth it.

Bottom Line:
So I was about to invest $800 in a set of wheels that would be approximately 200g lighter than what I am currently running on (Supergo "Korso" branded Neuvation wheels), but read some reviews on the 175g Supersonics, and then bought one for the rear to try out... I was amazed immediately at the weight savings without having to get those $800 wheels! I now run these badboys on front and rear.

Favorite Ride:   Downhill on Moody Road or Montebello Road

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   1990s Continental Grand Prix 700x18 and 700x23--lightweight and good, but much heavier than today's Continental offerings.

Bike Setup:   2005 Supergo (Performance) Scattante CFR carbon double (17.3 lbs. - not bad for a Taiwanese-made mail order catalog bike)

Submitted by Brett Kelley a Commuter