Continental Grand Prix Wire Bead Clincher Tires - Clincher

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

Slick w/rain grooves. For racing and fast training.

Submitted by back bacon a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    These tires really telegraph the road to your hands but in a positive way. As stated earlier it seems to be a very soft message. The grip was great with no cornering problems at all. I just raced on them two days ago after only test riding them twice on short runs!! No problems at all and they instill confidence.

Weaknesses:    None so far and I probably won't notice any as I only race on these. They'll be low mileage tires.

Bottom Line:
I only use these for racing. I have the 700x18 which from what I hear aren't being made currently. My LBS had these sitting on a shelf and I purchased them. Very supple feel to this tire right up into my hands. You could literally feel the tire going softly over the road eventhough it's an 18, pumped to 11 bars (150 lbs) on an aluminum bike. Fantastic grip and over all feel.

Favorite Ride:   Out Front

Purchased At:   Canadian LBS

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Hi Lite Prestige, Michelin Axial, Hutchinson Carbon Comp,

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Soloist, Ultegra set up, SRAM 12/26 cassette, SRAM HP chain, Campagnolo wheelset

Submitted by PEDDLEFOOT a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Strengths:    Traction and soft feel.Ride smooth and should have a very long life to the tread.

Weaknesses:    Maybe too heavy for racing.

Bottom Line:
These tires have made a big difference in both my riding style and comfort. They are very smooth and soft compared to the last tires I had.I'm much more confident in cornering because they feel like they are glued to the road.My friends that ride them have had very good life with them and say they are very dependable with preventing flats. All in all a very smooth feeling ride with great traction.

Favorite Ride:   ALL OF THEM

Purchased At:   SPIN DOCTOR CYCLEWER

Similar Products Used:   Conti Sport

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000 with Ultegra hubs and cassette.Mavic Open wheelset.SPD pedals.Selle Italia Genuine Gel sad

Submitted by Uncle Tim a Recreational Rider from Anywhere, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2001

Strengths:    Very durable. Good grip in all conditions. Resists punctures. Smooth rolling. Very affordable. You could even race on these tires if you wanted to.

Weaknesses:    The sidewalls are very ugly. Hurts the look of any bike. Relatively heavy.

Bottom Line:
I wish I could remember when I bought this pair of Conti Grand Prix tires. I got thousands of miles on the rear tire that I just replaced and the front tire, after thousands of miles, is in great shape. Please note that I weigh around 200 lbs and I ride this bike in very tough conditions with lots of urban adventure rides. I have a new Michelin Axial Pro waiting anxiously to replace the Conti Grand Prix on the front, but the front tire is simply not wearing. That's when it occurred to me that, dollar for dollar, this is a great tire. I need to report also, that I've have very few flats - maybe just one; I can't remember! -while using these tires. I think this may be due to my keeping the tires right at the max pressure on ALL rides.
I am confused by complaints that these are hard to mount. From my experience, these are a piece of cake to mount, provided you have tire levers. You should always make sure you have levers available. That's just a part of the game; their weight is negligable.

Purchased At:   a great LBS

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Axial Pros, Conti Super Sport, Conti Sport

Bike Setup:   2000 model year Trek 2000 upgraded to Ultegra/DA mix.

Submitted by john A from UK

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    These tyres are superb because ive had the them for a good few years. They feel fast, an corner wll in both the wet and the dry. The tread is still in good condition even though ive used them throughout the winter.

Weaknesses:    The colour

Bottom Line:
Great tyres for training and racing on. Go an buy a pair now!

Favorite Ride:   Wales