Continental Sport 1000 Tires - Clincher

2.88/5 (26 Reviews)

For all-around riding, this clincher tire offers high puncture-resistance and high quality tread compound for safe and comfortable cruising. Performance-minded tread pattern with treaded shoulders and circumferential grooves in the center for lateral grip. Fine casing with transparent sidewall offers good handling. Multi-layer casing construction offers high puncture-resistance, increased rolling performance and handling, minimum weight and increased comfort. Weight for 27 x 1-1/4 size is 380 grams; weight for 700 x 28 size is 350 grams.

Submitted by andrew unwin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2014

Strengths:    They are not too difficult to get onto my rims, good overall performance in mixed weather conditions.

Weaknesses:    Puncture magnets, these tyres are useless on real world roads where thorns, pot holes and glass are a constant problem, also they do not fit my rims properly, getting the beading to sit into the rim channel is often problematic.

Bottom Line:
This tyre is not expensive for a reason, it is rubbish, the walls of the tyre are really thin and do not offer much in the way of resistance to punctures against anything, constant road side repairs has forced to switch back to the generic chinese tyres my bike came with.

Favorite Ride:   north wales coast

Bike Setup:   Cronus 18 speed

Submitted by jimschauer

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2013

Strengths:    Super smooth, no flats

Weaknesses:    Can't find them anymore

Bottom Line:
These tires are the bomb baby. Some of the smoothest rolling tires I have ridden. I use them on an old touring bike/commuter and have zero flats. My other commuter (bontrager t1 tires) has had 4 flats from glass in the last 2 months.

Submitted by jimmyayer a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    low road resistant, good design for wet condition

Weaknesses:    if flat in smooth road surface...then i can only say it's weak

Bottom Line:
Just changed these tyres and my riding got really unreliable since the front tyre got punctured in the first ride...below average price

Favorite Ride:   Melbourne Yarra River Trail

Purchased At:   China

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase

Bike Setup:   Teschner(old 2000 aloy version)
Eurus wheels(2004rear and 2005front mix)
easton/deda/BBB/Sella Italia
Campy Daytona Group

Submitted by Eamonn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2007

Strengths:    Handle great in wet or dry, on all road surface including dirt and gravel.

Weaknesses:    At high psi they wear too quickly and fall apart.

Bottom Line:
Got these with the bike when I purchased it used from a dealer rep in Oklahoma. They are fine for commuting, but have been using them for training lately at very high pressures and they just don't hold up. 110-115psi and the tread is breaking off and wearing quickly. Already need to replace them. Commute on them at lower psi (90-100) and they were great, but not suitable for too much more.

Favorite Ride:   Bianchi Alfana

Purchased At:   RoadBikeReview.com

Similar Products Used:   I had an old pair of Vittorias that came with my last Bianchi stock from the shop. In over 5000 miles over 7 years never had to replace the front.

Submitted by espace a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    Available in China, high-speed, low-drag, no flats (yet)

Weaknesses:    Paid a bit too much? They were a bit difficult to get on the rim.

Bottom Line:
I needed tires for my fixie and picked these up locally. I have been through all kinds of gravel, dirt roads, and construction sites, and still haven't had a flat in about 1500 Km. My rims are still true, but I don't know how much of that is due to the tires. They do okay in the wet, and fly on smooth pavement, when you can find it in Beijing. The whole city is a construction site right now.

Favorite Ride:   Out to the Great Wall