Continental Top Touring 2000 Tires - Clincher

4.22/5 (27 Reviews)

• Reliable, road worthy tire that will hold up to thousands of touring miles
  • Inverted tread pattern and ultra durable tread for smooth rolling and high mileage
  • High puncture protection due to
  • Continentals tough, 5-layer
  • Polyamide casing
  • The lightweight choice for trekkers, tandems and cross country travelers
  • 5 carcass plies; 213 tpi

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by romano peros

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2014

Strengths:    Made in Germany

Weaknesses:    Don't know yet

Bottom Line:
    Just grabbed a vintage 83 Lotus Classique equipped with a pair of these tires

Submitted by CycleTourDude747 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2009

Strengths:    almost impossible to puncture.

Bottom Line:
    I used Continental Top Touring 2000 for a 18,000km trip across Africa, the Middle East and Europe. I rode from Kenya to Germany without a single flat. Highly recommended.

Submitted by centrider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2006

Strengths:    Great training tire as its high rolling resistance on a steel-framed touring bike increases effort in the climbs.
    Tread looks good.

Weaknesses:    Punctured after 50 miles.
    Always have to be mindful of rotation direction of tire.
    Silly tread (prevent hydroplaning?)
    Tire seems too large (700) for its rim. It kept flopping off rim.

Bottom Line:
    Perhaps this is too soon to review the tire, after only around 100 miles.
    The tire has a high rolling resistance (as mentioned in earlier reviews). However, the plush feeling of the 28 mm tire almost makes up for that, as the bike (steel) kinda rolls over root-lifted asphalt as if they were no more than some little ripples in the street.
    As to its resistance to punctures, well .. a piece of glass took the rear tire down, chewing up the tube.
    The surprise was how quickly that wire-bead tire came off the rim, and went back on.
    However, trying to replace the smaller tube with a larger one at home was a chore. First, I realized I had screwed up the directionality of the tire, as a result I had to dismount and remount the tire.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in Canada

Purchased At:   King's, Seal Beach,

Similar Products Used:   None. Until this bike/tire I rode a Giant TCR using Hutchinson 700X23 tires.

Bike Setup:   Co-motion Nor'wester touring Co-Pilot (the bike packs down into a suitcase) with Velocity rims.

Submitted by Ben the Canuck a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2006

Strengths:    Nice high volume
    not too heavy
    tough, stands up to daily city use without punctures
    Works great with heavy touring loads
    tread handles well in dirt

Weaknesses:    slippery cornering on the road
    Not cheap

Bottom Line:
    No punctures in >1000kms, rolls nice, 28c tires soak up bumps good grip in dirt, just a bit slippery cornering. Could benefit from softer shoulder compound or something to provide better grip around corners.

Favorite Ride:   Icefields parkway alberta

Purchased At:   Revolution cycle edm

Similar Products Used:   Specialized armadillo Turbo

Bike Setup:   '06 Kona Jake

Submitted by gordons9 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2005

Strengths:    Durability, high volume, long life, puncture protection and smooth ride. The best tire I've used so far.

Weaknesses:    Price; if you buy them off the shelf. Mine came with my ride. Availability is also poor, so it pays to keep one on reserve and have someone ready to ship it out. Heavy?

Bottom Line:
    The tires are great as far as durability. Flat resistance is king. My gf and I rode 1840 miles this summer without a puncture. She has the 27x1.25 and I have the 700x37 that came with my Cannondale T800. I ended up rotating them after 1100ish miles and they are still going for commuting. Probably have 2300 miles on them total with majority of it under a 190lb rider, 30lb bike and 45ish lbs of gear. Heck, one day I had to carry the load in my gf's rear panniers and they still held up (with my stock Cannondale wheelset).

They are also pretty plush, if you keep them to their recomended inflation.

Stability/traction on dirt is good if you set them up correctly - rear 'reversed'.

I have noticed the sidewalls cracking, but I started out my tour overinflating the tires to 90lbs - what my rim said it could take for a 37c tire. It doesn't look as bad as what others are describing though. I've had much worse sidewall tearing on my Specialized Armadillos.

Favorite Ride:   Great Parks bike tour

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Armadillos (25s and 28s), Specialized Nimbus (very nice - a close second). That's it for the porkier non-race tires.

Bike Setup:   2005 Cannondale T800 w/ Arkels rear and Ortliebs front. Stock rear rack and Tubus Tara front. Cannondale QR HB bag. My tank!

Continental Top Touring 2000 - anymore out there, anything close to them?

I've been using Continental Top Touring 2000 (700x28) for quite a few years now to commute and on my lunch rides at work. Never had a flat and I ran over everything!! Well I'm currently using my last set (I bought quite a few when I heard they were discontinuing) and in need of purchasing more (if p ... Read More »