Continental Ultra 2000 Kevlar Tires - Clincher

3.38/5 (13 Reviews)

This new Continental Training/Sport tire has a slick tread for exceptional grip on wet and dry conditions.

Submitted by AJ68 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2006

Strengths:    Relatively comfortable, good grip and not too expensive.

Weaknesses:    More punctures than I would have hoped for. Weak sidewalls.

Bottom Line:
I averaged about 1 puncture per month with these tires on suburban and rural roads - thorns are particularly deadly. After 2000 miles the skinwall on my rear tire tore (I guess 2000 miles is pretty good service life?). I replaced it with the new black rubber sidewall model. The tires were good all around and pretty comfortable on the road (The comfort might be because I used 25s at 105 psi - the new 23 felt similar, though). One strange thing is that using a trainer leaves a permanent flat spot on the tread that feels weird on the road. I switched to Michelin Axial Carbons and have had no flats in 1000 miles, but they seem "harder" than the Contis.

Favorite Ride:   Angeles Crest / Little Tujunga

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Axial Carbons, Continental Giro and Sprinter (tubulars)

Bike Setup:   Allez Elite + 105 + Shimano R550s

Submitted by Bass cleff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    Equal performance wet or dry. Corners well.

Weaknesses:    Boring feel. No connection to the road.

Bottom Line:
These are light and there's no problem with the sidewalls. They will get torn up if you ride on bad roads with debris. Rear tread loses its curve and flattens out after 1000 miles. Kevlar belts are hard to install the 1st time. I replaced one worn tire with a wire bead ultra 2000 and it went on easier.

Favorite Ride:   West Houston

Purchased At:   Cyclone Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Michelin axial Carbon

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R300

Submitted by 505Sailor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2004

Strengths:    Nice performance on smooth, clean roads

Weaknesses:    Sidewall easily damaged, especially for a tire that claims excellent durability.

Bottom Line:
I bought these on the recommendation of a friend who uses them in DC. I purchased the 25mm tires for a bit more comfort, and because I'm 200lb. They performed well on the roads I normall ride (smooth pavement). Then I thook them on DC roads. Within a few miles I went through some rocks and debris, nicking one which caused a sidewall blowout! The rock somehow sliced the sidewall and punctured the tube. I patched the sidewall from the inside to get home, but the tire is basically shot. It sees that the threads on the sidewall primarily run in one direction making it easier to puncture.

Favorite Ride:   Through Farm Roads

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Michelin

Submitted by dpvwia a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Strengths:    Light, fast, good traction.

Weaknesses:    Durability, price.

Bottom Line:
Decent traction in wet or dry, good rolling resistance and smooth ride. After about 1600 miles, though, the sidewalls started giving out and the tread definitely was about shot. I got a few more miles out of them by swapping front/rear - but then I had a sidewall blowout.

Favorite Ride:   Cuyahoga Valley