Continental Ultra Gatorskin Tires - Clincher

Continental Ultra GatorSkin 27x1-1/4 Wire Bead: Designed as a high mileage tire with excellent flat protection. Many refer to the Ultra Gatorskin as "Bullet Proof". A layer of Duraskin and an extra layer of Kevlar under the tread keeps flat...

Submitted by Audley Yung

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2014

Strengths:    light, fast, aesthetically pleasing.

Weaknesses:    none that I can think of at the moment.

Bottom Line:

I wrote an honest and in-depth review in layman's terms on my with photos. Check it out if you'd like, it might help you make a better decision on this great tire. I've used it with confidence!

Submitted by James White a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2014

Strengths:    Above average for flat resistance

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
If you are considering the Conti Gatorskin for a tire, you are way, way, way, behind the times and don't understand that Continental is a technological tour de force that keeps on innovating while innumerable shmucks keep on thinking the antiquated Gatorskin is actually still a top level tire and even worse, is worth its outrageous cost. For about the same cost, you can get the vastly superior Continental Grand Prix 4 Season. This tire has the 3/330 casing VS the Gatorskins 3/180 casing. Then you get the double Vectron breaker VS the single PolyX breaker so easily more than 2X the puncture protection as a single layer Vectran is better than PolyX for flat protection and lighter and more flexible. Then you get wide temperature rubber that is also formulated to excel in the wet and you have a tire that stands on the podium alone in the indestructible racing tire category. Tires like the Specialized Armadillo/Espoir series and Bontrager Hard Case series are a really bad joke compared to this tire. Not only are they less puncture resistant, they are much heavier, slower, and oh so much worse for value as well. When I change out an Armadillo for people, they are just shocked at how slow and harsh riding that Armadillo really was. The Gatorskin, too, has seen its day and it was a good tire before the 4 season cam out. Now there is no valid reason whatsoever to go to the Gatorskin anymore.

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Fusion & Atom, Michelin Pro 3, Kenda Kaliente, Vittoria Rubino & Diamante, Continental Grand Prix 4000S,
Continental Grand Sport Race.

Bike Setup:   Two 7005 aluminum and one carbon fiber road bike.

Submitted by David, an endurance rider a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2014

Strengths:    They ride well and corner well especially at high speeds. Seem to handle well in the wet.

Weaknesses:    Short life span. Even with great care to avoid road junk and potholes I only get between 1,100 and 1,300 miles per tire due to holes in the sidewalls. At $50 per tire....very irritating.

Bottom Line:
If Continental could fix the sidewall failure problem they would have a great product. Gatorskins are superior to Armadillos and the other tires I have tried.

Favorite Ride:   Death Ride

Purchased At:   High Sierra Cycling/

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Armadillos

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Advanced 0. Merlin Cyrene. Both bikes are running American Classics Aero wheels.

Submitted by Sarah Swab

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2012

Strengths:    smooth ride without flats

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this set just under 3,000 miles and the tires are still going strong. I am beginning to see some wear, but they are not worn out yet. I have yet to flat on these tires.

Submitted by Tommy B. a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2012

Strengths:    This is the most flat resistant tire I have found yet. Quite frankly, I have stopped looking.

Weaknesses:    These tires have been measured to have a few watts more rolling resistance then the very best racing tires.

Bottom Line:
I have put more than 24,000 miles on Gatorskins since 2008, riding on crappy suburban/country roads in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin where cracks, heaves, pot holes and craters are daily obstacles. During that time I have experienced only 1 flat on Gatorskins, caused by rolling over a broken beer bottle during a moment of inattention. Tire wear varies from 3,000 to 5,000 miles depending on conditions, and they look good on my fancy carbon fiber road bikes.

My weekly riding includes two 45 to 60 mile club hammer-fests at race pace, without a no-drop policy, with routes that roll through mosquito infested marshes and forest preserves, so I place a premium on not flatting. I have tried other tires like the Vittoria Rubino and Bontrager R3, and thought those tires were perceptibly faster. However, I experienced multiple flats with each of those tires before tread wear indicators demanded a tire change, and one particularly nasty pothole destroyed the sidewall on the Bontrager R3. By comparison, I have worn several sets of Gatorskins down to bare threads without flatting. I have supreme confidence in this tire.

Normal tire pressure for my weight (226 lbs down to a current 194 lbs) has been 120 - 115 psi. The 25mm tire seams to roll a little better than the 23mm, and delivers a noticeably smoother ride.

Automobile tires now routinely wear out and get replaced without flatting, why shouldn't your bicycle tires? Gatorskins are probably the only bicycle tires with good all-around performance that will give similar service.

While I keep a set of Bontrager R3s around for occasional time trial racing, ALL of my other riding is done on Gatorskins.

Purchased At:   Village CycleSport

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Rubino Pro, Bontrager R3, Continental Grand Prix.

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Madone 6 Series Spartacus, Ultegra 6700, Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 ACC wheels (black), Gatorskins.
2010 Cervelo R3, Ultegra 6700 compact, Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 ACC wheels (red), Gatorskins.

Time i-Click carbon pedals, Diadora ProRacer 2 carbon shoes, Ironman T-2 Elite gloves.

Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels with Gatorskins for winter riding.

Ultra Gatorskin

Is there such a thing as Ultra Gatorskin? Most LBS around here sells Ultra Gatorskin but the actual tire itself says Gatorskin only. Are they the same?Read More »

Difference between Continental Gatorskin and Ultra Gatorskin?

Hi guys I just bought another Continental Gatorskin and only when I got home did I notice the previous tyre I bought was an "Ultra" Gatorskin. What is the difference between the two? I'd assume the "Ultra" is better/newer? Was I given an old tire? The [URL="http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy ... Read More »

Comparison of Conti Ultra Gatorskin vs Grand Prix 4000?

Looking to pick myself up a new tire. I currently run some Gatorskins, and I have no real complaints-- but then I've had very little experience with other tires. How do the GP4000s compare to the Ultra Gatorskins? Im a very lightweight rider (~125 lbs) if it matters any. I heard the GP4000s rid ... Read More »

Conti Grand Prix 4-Season vs. Ultra Gatorskin 2006

Sounds like Conti stopped making the Ultra 2000, plus they were getting brutalized on my commute. So how do the Grand Prix 4-Season and Ultra Gatorskin compare? I've seen comments here that the Ultra Gatorskin is hard to install on some rims (I'll be using them on MA40s). How do the two tires compar ... Read More »