Continental Ultra Race Tires - Clincher

3.1/5 (41 Reviews)

The race orientated tread and the quick and comfortable 60 tpi casing plus puncture protection emphasizes your technical demands.

Submitted by JP a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2015

Strengths:    Grippy, smooth, tough

Weaknesses:    Need higher pressures, like hanging onto debris

Bottom Line:
These tyres came fitted with my new road bike in 2013 and after several thousand kilometres of training, I had to replace them before a big event ride. Despite riding on roads ranging from excellent to upper crap, they held up well and only suffered one let-down. This happened to be a pinch flat, caused by the valve going loose, so we can say it wasn't the tyre's fault. I was upset that I wasn't able to find exact replacements, so had to settle for other Continentals (still very good, though) and a different brand (pinch flat city). I can now be happy that I've found some Ultra Race tyres, again and will have the confidence to get around corners a little more quickly, as well as not lose grip when climbing; something these liquorice straps are very capable of. On the down side, this grip means that debris tends to hang on that little bit longer and if it's sharp enough, then expect a higher chance of punctures, although keeping the pressures high will also reduce this. In most situations, I would happily have grip over toughness but these tyres have shown that they are both and value for money, they are very good but a little hard to find. I would also recommend using a tube puncture sealant, like Slime, just in case.

Similar Products Used:   Continental 4000s

Bike Setup:   Endurance road bike

Submitted by Panos

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2013

Strengths:    Low cost, durable, a few flats only

Weaknesses:    Front tire "likes" debris

Bottom Line:
Seems that after 8.000 km it's time to replace them. Had only 2 flats in the first 7.300 km but 2 flats in the last 700 km. Probably I should have replaced them earlier. Perhaps combination of high pressure (110-120 psi) and self sealing tubes helped me to avoid flats. Not sure though how much self sealing tubes contributed to that. Also I do inspect weekly each tire and patch with super glue big cuts. Front tire is a debris "magnet", therefore it is not recommended to use ultra light inner tubes.
Overall these tires are not something special, or bad. Just an average set of durable training set for everyday use, with low cost.

Submitted by SNS1938

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2013

Strengths:    Nice ride, good grip, easy to mount/dismount.

Weaknesses:    Have virtually no puncture protection. I used first in winter, but after one week of 5 mile commutes and three punctures, I put them aside for summer riding. Next time I got them out, two punctures in two rides. I put them away again, waited a few months, then thought I'd give them another go, and a puncture on the first ride.

My other tyres (Conti Gator Skins, Conti Attack, Conti Force, Specialized Armadillo), between them all and over riding 20 times as far, have only had one puncture.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy! There are many other tyres out there that will ride as nice, last as long (if not longer), and NOT puncture so easily. I'm gong to try to ride them into the ground and then throw them away and go back to Gator Skins for Autumn/Spring, Michelin Pro Race 3 / 4 for summer, Conti Attack/Force for racing and Specialized Armadillo for winter.

Submitted by Felt Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    Continental brand name. Easy to find. Easy to mount. Seemingly low cost.

Weaknesses:    Very very soft feel. Picks up road debris.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't call these "race tires" at all. Continental misnamed these for whatever reason. These are training tires. I like tires with alot more feel and these feel so cushy that I worry regularly if they're going flat or not. I ride at least 110-120 psi and inflate before every ride and have found the rolling resistance on these to be disappointing. The front actually did flat once as it picked up a staple and a shard of glass right in the same place. The glass didn't penetrate and only one of the legs of the staple went into the inner tube. That being said the tires offer so little feedback that I could not really sense what happened until it completely deflated. (I usually know right away). But the fix was easy. So that makes me undecided as to whether I'd buy them again.

Submitted by austincrx

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2013

Strengths:    Good traction, light weight, easy to mount/dismount on rims

Weaknesses:    wears quickly

Bottom Line:
The name says it all 'RACE'. These are just that, race tires. Don't buy these to train on, they wear quickly due to the soft rubber compound, but this increases cornering grip, which you want in a race tire. Especially good for criteriums and road races with winding descents, these tires 'stick' better, but are not a sticky compound like a race tire for a race car. I probably got 400 miles out of them before they wore through to the cords.