Continental Ultrasport Tires - Clincher

2.44/5 (61 Reviews)

Continental Ultrasport Road Tire has an attractive tread design and a choice of coloured treads that can turn any race bike into a superb visual masterpiece. UltraSport tires make a stunning impact on every training ride and are ideal for newcomers to roa

Submitted by Syed Abu Bakar Siddiq Al'Bukhary a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2015

Strengths:    Strength of this tyre i wouldn't say it's superb but its great. It does well on road surface, cycling path and a little bit of offroad, trust me I've rode my bike with this tyres on offroad sometimes (shortcut to home)

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses for this tyre hmmmm nothing for now its great as I've never had any issues with Continental ultra sport tyre before.

Bottom Line:
Rides smooth, pretty fast and does the job. It works better during dry weather but if its raining it's slightly slippery but its 100% managable you can still cut corners with it. For wear probably about 8000 - 10000km and I commute to work everyday 80km to work and 80km back home. It's a great tyre and I've never had any puncher or flats on it.

Purchased At:   SCH Tampines

Bike Setup:   Bridgestone 1973 (Hybrid) Alluminum Taylor made.
Campagnolo 48T and 42T Crank set
Campagnolo Rear Group Set
Shimano 105 rear and front brakes
Mavic Open Pro Rims
Cinelle Handbar

Submitted by Syed Abu Bakar Siddiq Al'Bukhary a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2015

Purchased At:   SCH Tampines

Bike Setup:   Bridgestone 1973 (Hybrid) Alluminum Taylor made.
Campagnolo 48T and 42T Crank set
Campagnolo Rear Group Set
Shimano 105 rear and front brakes
Mavic Open Pro Rims
Cinelle Handbar

Submitted by Frank

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2015

Strengths:    .Value, durability (thickness of tread), integrity of materials, ease of mounting to the rim. Cornering

Weaknesses:    Sometimes with a ton of use--minor sidewall weakness or uneven wear from skid breaking. Maintaining ideal air pressure over a week.

Bottom Line:
I ride about 50 miles every day all year on mostly clean paved trails (small pebbles and occasional thorns) and have done so for years, so I feel I have some good experience when it comes to road tires. I have found ultra sport tires to be the best value after comparing them to many other name brands I have used over the years. Ultra Sports are my mainstay for the front wheel and can last 3500-4000 miles but are not as durable as I would like for the punishment that a rear wheel takes so I am trying the more expensive Continental GP 4000 for the rear--it has super reviews. My hope is that the different models on one bike will wear about the same over time and be the best value for the money. I love Continental products for their integrity and durability. You can get ultra sports for about $20 online if you look. Using a quality softer fitted flat prevention tire liner between the tire and the tube can provide extra flat protection. Just make sure it doesn't eventually go brittle or it can be the case of pinch flats. If you use them, replace yearly.

Submitted by Johnny No Flats - Club Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2015

Strengths:    Great value, wearing ok and no punctures in 2000+ miles

Weaknesses:    Could have better grip and comfort.

Bottom Line:
I guess I'm just lucky, but I got these free with some wheels and they have been great. I ride on all sorts of surfaces from stoney gravel to litter strewn cyclepaths with broken surfaces and I regularly ride over cattle grids. Not had a puncture yet. I'm getting some more, but in a 25mm as I currently have 23mm and would like a bit more comfort. I ride them at anywhere from 85 psi for cyclepaths to 110 psi for roads and I weigh 80+ kg.

For all those who say they have had a puncture whilst walking the bike as if they are as delicate as a kids balloon; bad luck, but get real! You might have got something stuck in your tyre before you dismounted, but it then took more revolutions for the sharp object to break through the last bit or you might have hit something very sharp at an unfortunate angle. Who knows, but I think everybody would have the same poor experience if they were that bad.

And stop comparing them to tyres up to 3 times the price, it just makes you look dumb.

Submitted by J.T.

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2014

Strengths:    Durable for awhile

Weaknesses:    Don't last a long time

Bottom Line:
These tires came brand new (never ridden) on a used bike I purchased. After reading reviews I was initially tempted to ask the guy I bought the bike from if I could have the receipt so I could exchange them for better tires. In the end I am glad I didn't bother. Believe it or not I made almost exactly 1000 miles without a single flat. However, as soon as I got one flat I got a couple more in less than 50 miles. It seems the rear tire is worn out after 1000 miles.

I can't comment much on rolling resistance as most of the other bike tires I've used have been either mountain or commuting oriented so I don't have any fast tire experience to compare them with but they seemed fairly fast to me. I give this a good rating overall as I have never ridden 1000 miles on any other tire set without a flat (maybe I just got lucky, who knows). They didn't last forever but I did grow trust them before they wore out. I am going to replace them with some higher end tires, but I would consider the Ultra Sports again if they were on sale for $20 or so somewhere.