Continental Ultrasport Tires - Clincher

2.44/5 (62 Reviews)

Continental Ultrasport Road Tire has an attractive tread design and a choice of coloured treads that can turn any race bike into a superb visual masterpiece. UltraSport tires make a stunning impact on every training ride and are ideal for newcomers to roa

Submitted by Joe Rockbottom a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2015

Strengths:    Good ride quality

Weaknesses:    Very poor puncture resistance. Extremely difficult to mount on some rims

Bottom Line:
5 flats in the first 1000 miles pretty much sums it up. A tire that has extremely poor puncture resistance is not much good no matter if the ride quality is good. These came with the GT Grade X I bought, so I expect they were just the cheapest tire they could find for this price range bike. I use it for commuting. Got a flat the first time I rode it. Nothing extreme, just normal roads i ride on. Compare to 3 flats in 4,000 miles during a full year on Forte Strada-K tires. Additionally, like other Continental tires I've used (4000S0 they are extremely difficult to mount on some rims. 10-15 minutes to get mounted. I'll get rid of these and get something better.

Favorite Ride:   commute

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Performance Forte Strada K 28C

Bike Setup:   GT Grade X Disc gravel bike, 28C tires.

Submitted by Syed Abu Bakar Siddiq Al'Bukhary a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2015

Strengths:    Strength of this tyre i wouldn't say it's superb but its great. It does well on road surface, cycling path and a little bit of offroad, trust me I've rode my bike with this tyres on offroad sometimes (shortcut to home)

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses for this tyre hmmmm nothing for now its great as I've never had any issues with Continental ultra sport tyre before.

Bottom Line:
Rides smooth, pretty fast and does the job. It works better during dry weather but if its raining it's slightly slippery but its 100% managable you can still cut corners with it. For wear probably about 8000 - 10000km and I commute to work everyday 80km to work and 80km back home. It's a great tyre and I've never had any puncher or flats on it.

Purchased At:   SCH Tampines

Bike Setup:   Bridgestone 1973 (Hybrid) Alluminum Taylor made.
Campagnolo 48T and 42T Crank set
Campagnolo Rear Group Set
Shimano 105 rear and front brakes
Mavic Open Pro Rims
Cinelle Handbar

Submitted by Syed Abu Bakar Siddiq Al'Bukhary a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2015

Purchased At:   SCH Tampines

Bike Setup:   Bridgestone 1973 (Hybrid) Alluminum Taylor made.
Campagnolo 48T and 42T Crank set
Campagnolo Rear Group Set
Shimano 105 rear and front brakes
Mavic Open Pro Rims
Cinelle Handbar

Submitted by Frank

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2015

Strengths:    .Value, durability (thickness of tread), integrity of materials, ease of mounting to the rim. Cornering

Weaknesses:    Sometimes with a ton of use--minor sidewall weakness or uneven wear from skid breaking. Maintaining ideal air pressure over a week.

Bottom Line:
I ride about 50 miles every day all year on mostly clean paved trails (small pebbles and occasional thorns) and have done so for years, so I feel I have some good experience when it comes to road tires. I have found ultra sport tires to be the best value after comparing them to many other name brands I have used over the years. Ultra Sports are my mainstay for the front wheel and can last 3500-4000 miles but are not as durable as I would like for the punishment that a rear wheel takes so I am trying the more expensive Continental GP 4000 for the rear--it has super reviews. My hope is that the different models on one bike will wear about the same over time and be the best value for the money. I love Continental products for their integrity and durability. You can get ultra sports for about $20 online if you look. Using a quality softer fitted flat prevention tire liner between the tire and the tube can provide extra flat protection. Just make sure it doesn't eventually go brittle or it can be the case of pinch flats. If you use them, replace yearly.

Submitted by Johnny No Flats - Club Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2015

Strengths:    Great value, wearing ok and no punctures in 2000+ miles

Weaknesses:    Could have better grip and comfort.

Bottom Line:
I guess I'm just lucky, but I got these free with some wheels and they have been great. I ride on all sorts of surfaces from stoney gravel to litter strewn cyclepaths with broken surfaces and I regularly ride over cattle grids. Not had a puncture yet. I'm getting some more, but in a 25mm as I currently have 23mm and would like a bit more comfort. I ride them at anywhere from 85 psi for cyclepaths to 110 psi for roads and I weigh 80+ kg.

For all those who say they have had a puncture whilst walking the bike as if they are as delicate as a kids balloon; bad luck, but get real! You might have got something stuck in your tyre before you dismounted, but it then took more revolutions for the sharp object to break through the last bit or you might have hit something very sharp at an unfortunate angle. Who knows, but I think everybody would have the same poor experience if they were that bad.

And stop comparing them to tyres up to 3 times the price, it just makes you look dumb.