CST Czar Tires - Clincher

2.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Take corners with ease with the Czar, a fast-rolling, dual compound tire featuring increased cornering traction.
The pro level tire provides a lightweight EPS puncture resistance layer, making the Czar's dependability as good as its performance.

Submitted by Jonathan Commuter & ex-racer a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2017

Strengths:    Look fairly robust with good tread pattern. Cheap. Offer reasonable puncture resistance

Weaknesses:    Difficult to fit (very tight fit on the rim.) Bead separates from tyre eventually.

Bottom Line:
Bought these as a replacement for worn out Schwalbe Lugano tyres on my daily commute road bike (200 miles per week) for £11.00 each. Managed to fit them after a bit of a struggle getting them over the rim. Rode these in rain and sunshine no problem over a thousand miles. Cornering and handling seemed ok. However the tyres feel somewhat dead as I suspect rolling resistance is high.
Riding over 1000 miles on Londons' busy pot holed roads gave no punctures. However I noticed that the rear tyre had developed a wobble.
It looked as though the sidewall was collapsing, but further investigation revealed the beading wire was separating from the rest of the tyre. Never seen that before, and I have been riding for over 30 years. Am going back to Scwalbe.

Favorite Ride:   Chilterns

Purchased At:   e-bay.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Lugano. Bontrager Race Lite. Gatorskins. Michelin Pro 4.

Bike Setup:   Alu-Carbon Avanti Corsa Road Frame with Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed. Khamsin wheels.
ITM bars/stem. Exustar/Look pedals. Selle Italia Saddle.

Submitted by Jojo a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2016

Strengths:    They seem durable and able to hold its grip on corners. They're very affordable.

Weaknesses:    The rolling resistance is higher than that of the Maxxis Detonators and much higher than that of the Vittoria Zafiro Slicks - I had to 'acclimatize' myself to harder pedaling when I took my RB with this on to a 75 km ride. Increasing the tire pressure is not very helpful as the very slight decrease in pedal hardness is 'shadowed' by a much rougher ride. Anyway, I think for the price, these would be good training tires.

Bottom Line:
Never use these tires on races. These would be good (I think) as training tires but it will slow you down on a race.

Purchased At:   Local Bike SHop

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Detonator, Vittoria Zafiro Slick

Bike Setup:   Road Bike: Louis Garneau LCA w/ Tiagra drive train. Previously used Maxxis Detonator tires & switched to CST Czar tires when worn out;
Triathlon Bike: Jamis Xenith T w/105 drivetrain & Vittoria Zafiro Slick tires

Submitted by FRANK NEAL

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2015

Strengths:    The price , the ride and the comfort

Weaknesses:    no complaints

Bottom Line:
I have ridden 322 miles in the heat and rain in Central ..And I I have zero complaints . the comfort , reliability and durability are far beyond what I was expecting from a economical tire . I am a fan of these tires . What a great product . I will definitely be a repeat buyer . Keep up the great work .

Submitted by elise a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    My husband has had this tire on his bike rear for mod than a year now. He doesn't ride a lot, none the less it hasn't given us any trouble. It seems to hold air better than the older expensive front tire. I just had 2 put on
my bike and they feel pretty good. I ride 50-100mi/week, even if its 100° out. The guy that installed them did mention something about using a shorter stem with these tires, maybe that'd help some people that don't chance the tire for a living.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
Overall, fine tire for everyday riding. I haven't had the experience of the best tires to compare these too. Seem just fine to me. I really like the feel of these tires on my hands, almost tacky. But that may be the lack of dirt. Hoping the traction is awesome. Good luck out there!

Purchased At:   local bike shop, tis

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2013

Strengths:    I rode these tires for over a 1000 miles without complaint. I rode them on chip seal in SC and across the entire state of AR and did not flat. This past weekend I finally had to replace them. I tried Michelin Krylon and pinched two tubes trying to install them. I am going back to CSTs!

Weaknesses:    None. Cant beat the price and durability in my experienc

Bottom Line:
Why fix it if they are not broke!