Hutchinson Fusion 2 Tubeless Tires - Clincher

4.1/5 (42 Reviews)

• Hutchinson's pioneering tubeless technology eliminates tubes for a lighter, faster accelerating wheel that can be run at lower pressures
  • Carbon casing with carbon fiber beads and textile reinforcement from bead to bead
  • Special bead compound and a thin layer of rubber inside the casing seals the tire
  • Triple compound rubber: firm center, medium low angle, soft hard angle
  • Stan's conversion for mounting Fusion2 tubeless tires on any standard rim available separately (BTI #SX-8064)
  • 127 tpi casing. Try Hutchinson StickAir for a better tubeless bead seal

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Victor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    No flats
    Ride

Weaknesses:    Price
    Problems with the rubber compound?

Bottom Line:
    Hutchinson tubeless Intensive and Fusion 3s
    Rims- ZTR Alphas
    This past year I have purchased 3 sets of Hutchinson tubeless tires 2 sets of Intensives and 1 set of Fusion 3s. I'm 175 pounds and inflate the tires between 90 and 100 psi. My mileage is around 150+ per week. I have not had any flats and the ride is much smoother than Gatorskins at 120 psi. HOWEVER, the troubling point that is of concern is the slitting of the tires around the center of the tire and some cracking found in the rubber compound in the same area. I just can not figure it out. I thought if I switched from Intensive to Fusion 3 the compound might be different, but it isn't. This slit/cracking begins to appear at 300 miles and is more prevalent on the front tire than the back. Six tires 6 identical flaws. What's up Hutchinson?

Purchased At:   Stans

Submitted by mattsavage a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    Roll well, lower pressures, good wear.

Weaknesses:    a little spendy.

Bottom Line:
    I've been riding these for about 1000miles. Still going strong. No flats, even wear...

I didn't set them up, they came on the rims from Corsa Concepts, so I can't comment on the setup.

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Deng-Fu FM015 ISP, Full Sram Force, Corsa Concepts 1.2ACR tubeless rims.

Submitted by tmabiker1234 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I've put about 500mi on these. They feel good for the most part and have not yet flatted. A few that would have been flats but were sealed by the stan's fluid. The one thing that vexes me with this is that there are little tears and cuts all over each tire. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but they do scare me a bit. If they are normal please let me know!

Submitted by GlennS a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2010

Strengths:    1. Great feel in riding and comfort
    2. Very robust under various conditions once they are fully "mated" to your rim
    3. Feel light, fast
    4. No more flats

Weaknesses:    1. Expense
    2. It can be work to get initial set up.

Bottom Line:
    I've used the tubeless for two seasons now.I have 4 other Stan's tubeless set ups, all MTB (one on a hybrid type tire). I love tubeless for being lighter faster, and for the ride at lower pressures. Want to eat up rocks and roots on your hardtail? Go tubeless and ride at 25lbs.

I have found the benefit similar on the road. I keep them at 90 for my 180 lbs, and I feel as fast as my various non tubeless road tires at 120, but so much more comfortable, not to mention better grip, confidence at speed.

I did wear out my rear Fusion II after about 1000 miles and have switched it to the heavier intensive. It develeoped a bit of a leak for while but the latex seems to have plugged it. My tires hold up for days with 10-20 lbs of the 90 last pumped into them.

I find the following true of all tubeless set ups:
    1. It might take weeks for the seal to really become robust. Will always hold for the ride but lost a lot between
    2. Once it gets "really sealed", the set ups are VERY robust. I don't get flats.
    3. Every new rim set up can be a learning curve. Sometimes it goes pop right away and you're set. Othes can be frustrating, require calls to Stan, and some extra effort. I've never failed, but its been a lot of work to get Nevegal's on some used DT Swiss 29ers and in getting Kenda Kwest slicks on some mavis'c. I've never failed but it can require a commitment to get it done.

Favorite Ride:   any country road with trees and hills

Purchased At:   Stan's