Hutchinson Fusion 2 Tires - Clincher

• Genuine Hutchinson Kevlar ProTech
  • 127 tpi casing

Submitted by Larry Malavear a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good & ride is good
Good price if you catch them on sale
Good flat protection

Weaknesses:    Tires get an "S" long before the tread is worn out. Sometimes right out of the box.
No customer service. The company's website does not accept emails from customer

Bottom Line:
I have been a big fan of Hutchinson tires for the past 10 years first with the Hutchinson Long Distance. Which was the best set I tried.
Then I went to the Fusin after they discontinued the Long Distance. It was good ride was soft but did not last as long. Then I bought the Fusion 2 next. Good ride but not as tuff a wearing tire. I’m happy if I get a year’s use or 2000 miles out of a set. But then I started to notice an “S” in the tires. The bulge when left and then right in a 2” section. It seem like the belts broke loose or something. At first it was just a bad tire plus it was time to replace them anyway so I put on a new set. But then it started to happen on the next set after a few miles. I sent that tire back to the online company & they replaced it but I was starting to lose my faith in Hutchinson tires.
Then I saw an advertisement for the Hutchinson Intensive Long Distance. I put a set on at the beginning of 2012. At first I thought this is a great tire. A little rougher ride but every time I would check the tires after a ride they still looked like new. But then when I got to right under 1000 mile I stated to see the “S” starting to appear in the tire same the other models.
I had one last set of Fusion 2 I had stock piled so I put them on and right away I saw the tire had the same fault in one tire. That was the last straw for me. I went to the Hutchinson website to send them a complaint letter but according to their website they say “A problem with your HUTCHINSON product? Get back to your retailer who will take the necessary steps to contact the Hutchinson after-sales service” I don’t even want my money back I just would just like to acknowledge the problem & say they will correct the problem.
So they have lost me because of their poor customer service. I know it is not just me that had this problem because I have a friend to try a set of Hutchinson Fusion 2 & Fusion 3 tires with the same results I had. So I think they are making a big mistake not listening to their main source of income. The recreational rider like me buys more tires in my life time that any pro team in a year.
So I have switched to Continental GP 4000s. So far so good plus the ride is great too. I will write a review of them if they don’t disappoint me in the long run.

Favorite Ride:   the long route to Waxahachie

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Long Distance
Hutchinson Fusion & Hutchinson Fusion team issue
Hutchinson Intensive Long Distance

Bike Setup:   2006 Litespeed Tuscany

Submitted by David a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    They look cool and ride nice, but not for long.

Weaknesses:    Side wall blew out! I should've listened to the other reviewers.

Bottom Line:
Side wall just blew out after 600 miles!!!!

Favorite Ride:   road

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Peloton (old school bro)

Submitted by Peanut85 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Strengths:    Cornering, ride feel, roll nicely.

Weaknesses:    Just don't hold together, sidewalls and riding surface fails WAY early.

Bottom Line:
This is part two of my review. I first reviewed this tire in October of 2009 with 2500 miles on it. That set went on to top 3000 miles with still just the two flats. Best set of tires I had ever used.

Now for the update:

Since that set, I have been through 4 other sets of this tire. The first set lasted about 1500 miles before failing. I was able to fix it with a dollar bill and ride on, I figured it was just a fluke.

Nope. The of the next 3 sets I bought, NONE lasted more then 500 miles without a blowout, sidewall failure, or bubble.

I'm looking at my bike across the room right now with these tires on it, the rear tire having about 700 miles on it, and the sidewall ripped, a big bubble on the riding surface, and the rim on the floor.

I will not be buying these tires again, and I highly suggest that unless you can find a set from when they were still made in France, grab it, those are great. If not, the new ones are made in Taiwan and simply do not perform.

Favorite Ride:   Backcountry Roads

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Vredestein, Michelin, Specialized, Continental, Panaracer, many many more...

Bike Setup:   Performance R101, Shimano Ultegra, nearly 20000 miles.

Submitted by john z a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Explosive ride.

Bottom Line:
Got really nervous at all the reviews on other sites that say "I had a blowout!"

Mounted 'em up, one blew out. Fixed it up. Few miles down the road on the first ride, I had a blowout. Had a spare tube and CO2 and limped home. Haven't had a chance to investigate further than that, but will try to ascertain that it was not user error.

I've mounted a lot of clincher tires on wheels from a rainbow of different manufacturers and never once had a blowout. I'm not going to pan these things until I get home and make sure I didn't make a mistake, BUT once bitten twice shy.

Favorite Ride:   Up the Holler

Purchased At:   Bonktown

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Pro3 Race
Continental Ultra Sport
etc.

Bike Setup:   2009 BMC Racemaster SLX 01 w/ Ultegra build and Easton EA90Aero wheels. Aksiums for everyday training.

Submitted by james sperling a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    Light
Nice look

Weaknesses:    easily cuts..VERY
Tread comes apart
cannot comment on flat protection cause they have been failing so fast!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
OK well here goes: If you are a Clyde not tires you want to buy!! The tire split internaly afetr >100 miles. The bike shop put a new one on and we are off. 300 miles later have several cuts and one went completley through. This tire is for race day if you weigh 150 Lbs. For me not so much. There is alot out there and I would be cautious to buy this pitcular tire if I were you. If you can get them for $29 or less.......maybe. But beware you were warned!!! Not at all a commuter tire, go with the ultra gator skins by Continential!!!!!

Favorite Ride:   Joshua Tree National Park California....So far