Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tubeless Tires - Clincher

3.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Top-quality road-tubeless compatible tires from Hutchinson.  An excellent blend of performance and durability. For Road Tubeless compatible rims (can also be used with a tube inside)...

Submitted by grant doug

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to mount, excellent initial seal, great handling

Weaknesses:    Price and availability at LBS

Bottom Line:
Sharing my experience. I purchased Easton EA90 road tubeless disc wheelset. Working with LBS mechanic here in Salida, Colorado, we tried several tubeless-ready and not tubeless-ready cyclocross and road tires, none were satisfactory at high-pressure until we tried Hutchison. Recently completed tubeless setup of the (pricey) Hutchison Fusion 3 tubeless. Rating: excellent
Observations:
1) Hutchison Fusion 3 was far and away the easiest to set up of all tires we’ve tried
2) Hutchison Fusion 3 was easy to get onto the rim for us – no soap, gloves, or levers were used.
3) Using removable core and 80 psi compressor, both wheels sealed up with Stans on the first try. Inflated to 120 PSI with floor pump, zero leaks.. amazed. No loss of pressure after riding, nor overnight. Extremely pleased with this.
4) Ride quality? Love ‘em. grippy on cornering, surprisingly cushioned / comfortable even on 120 psi.
5) My feeling is, road tubeless tires only make sense if they have a huge flat prevention advantage over tube clinchers, while performing at the same level or better. Haven’t tried all the other tubeless available, but Fusion 3 delivers. Any tubeless tire which requires fiddling / frequent reflation is a fool’s bargain, right?
6) We wish we find a cyclocross tire >40mm that seals up on the EA90 rims. Currently, I’m running Mavic 700c m719 with Continental 42mm XKing Cyclocross tubeless setup with excellent results. However, we have not been able to get ANY CX tire of that width to seal on the EA90 rim width.

Submitted by Kristatos a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2012

Strengths:    Great performance. Roll nice, puncture resistant and easy to install.

Weaknesses:    Cost, some batches of Hutchinson tires seem to be dodgy.

Bottom Line:
I ran these tires on Campy Zonda 2-way wheels for roughly 3K miles before one finally gave up the ghost on a ride. It was actually the last ride I had planned on them as I could tell I was pushing them on durability. 3K miles is about what I get from a tire so seems about right to me, but these tires are expensive, so I dinged them a little on the value. Anyways, I used these tires extensively for training, racing and commuting. I did some gravel road riding on them and really appreciated the ability to run low pressures. On group rides and in races I typically was having to hold back in corners a little due to being able to carry more speed with the enhanced grip from lower pressures. The casing on these tires feels pretty supple, so they ride smooth. As one other review mentioned you notice it right away on your first ride and I didn't stop noticing it all summer. These tires seem to be a true 23C unlike the Atoms which measure very small.

Unlike some other reviewers I didn't have any trouble mounting or maintaining these tires. I do have a compressor, and basically installed one bead, then most of the other bead by hand, using a plastic Pedro's tire lever to ease on the last few inches of bead. I set the beads with compressed air, then deflated and removed the valve core to inject Stan's sealant. After replacing the valve core I aired up with a floor pump, spun the wheel for a couple minutes and pretty much forgot about them. I didn't lose a lot of air overnight but did typically add some air before riding to keep them around 90 to 95 psi. When I finally had a flat on the road when the front tire wore out and split on me I was able to put in a tube on the roadside and ride it home. I let as much sealant drain out the hole first, and didn't really have any problems with a mess, what little sealant I got on my hands during the repair came right off with a couple squirts from a water bottle. A bigger tear in the tire would have required booting with something - so in addition to a spare tube I carry something to boot a tire just in case.

Overall I like this tire and would use it again. I also have used and reviewed the Atom Tubeless and had a totally negative experience recently with them, so I don't doubt some of the claims here that there may have been a bad batch of Fusions at one point - but it seems my tires so far didn't come from a bad batch.

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Atom Tubeless
Bontrager R3 Tubeless ready road tire

Bike Setup:   Campy Zonda 2-way fit, Campy Shamal Ultra 2-way fit

Submitted by James Bonny

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    Very comfortable ride
Rarely flat

Weaknesses:    Durability is horrific
Getting tire to seal when mounting is often impossible!
Questionable quality control - sidewall delamination in one tire
Cost

Bottom Line:
Set up with Dura Ace tubeless rims. This is a bitter-sweet relationship. The ride is noticeably better...I'm talking seriously, you notice it in 10 seconds. I only had 2 flats in two years.

.....However - don't even consider these unless you have a backup wheelset because they are out of commission half of the time. In 5 months of riding this year my tubeless wheelset has only been functional maybe half of that. The tires often just will not seal when inflating upon install, especially if they are not new and being remounted. By that time the bead has stretched and you basically have to buy new tire unless your LBS can figure out a way, and mine hasn't had good luck.

Also, I really would recommend against these if you live out in the country and ride on chip seal roads regularly. I scratch my head when I see reviewers writing that they 3-4 thousand of miles out of these. I would be lucky to get 1500. They must be on buttery smooth tarmac only. Examine these after riding on fresh tarmac and they look like they've gone through a meat-grinder (although they do smooth out the ride wonderfully).

So if you want to deal with the headache of finding these in stock, getting them mounted, and mounted again after compound wears through in no time, running back and forth to your LBS to get help, all the while training and racing on your backup wheelset, all for a very expensive tire....if you want to deal with all that then you will definitely enjoy the ride, feel, and handling.

For me personally after two years of usage I'm giving them up, not worth it. I'll mount some nice 700x25 (to soften up ride a bit over 23mm) tubed tires on my dura ace wheelset and not look back.

Submitted by jtompilot a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2011

Strengths:    One flat in three years.

Weaknesses:    hard to mount.

Bottom Line:
I've been using the fusion2 for three years and only flated one when the tire was worn out and a wet road finally got me.

I like the tubeless system so much I bought the Campy Shamal 2-way wheels and have been running the Fusion 3's without sealant. I did get hutch's sealant bet never used it. I have now just purchased the campy zonda 2-way to replace my Stans/ghetto conversion wheels and just run my two campy tubeless wheels.

Bike Setup:   Italian bikes and Campagnolo

Submitted by Major Ruckus a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2011

Strengths:    Ride nice when they are properly inflated

Weaknesses:    Better hope these don't deflate because you'll never get them reseated!

Bottom Line:
I bought the Hutchinson Fusion 3 Road Tubeless bundle from Stan's about 10 months ago for my brand new Shimano RS-80 wheelset. I liked the idea of reduced rotational weight and the flat resistance that these tires promise. I mounted them per the instructions, they inflated right up and things seemed great.

Unfortunately, I have not ridden these tires much this year due mostly to a cross-country move and a new job. In fact, my tires still have the center ridge on them. I went to my basement about a month ago to ride my trainer and inflated my front tire to about 100 psi because it had lost a bit of air. I even spun it around a few times to make sure the sealant had not pooled at the bottom. A few weeks after that I went to take my bike for a ride and the tire was completely flat. Zero pressure. I tried to get the tire to reseat to no avail. All it did was spit sealant out from all around the bead. I even removed the tire, cleaned away all of the coagulated sealant, and tried again. No luck. I also removed the valve core on my still inflated rear wheel, added an ounce of fresh sealant (as the instructions say to do every few months) and tried to re-inflate the tire. Again, sealant everywhere!

It appears that the tire bead stretches over time and deflating a sealed tire breaks the bead making it impossible to then re-inflate the tire. I am now forced to run tubes in both of my wheels, which is what I hoped to avoid by buying these tires. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with this product, especially considering the time I spent to install these tires and how much I spent for them. I could have purchased a much higher quality set of tubed tires for less than I paid for these.

Don't waste your time and money!!

Favorite Ride:   Anything that gets me outside

Purchased At:   Stan's No Tubes as a

hutchinson fusion 3 tubeless 700x25 measured width

I got a pair of the Hutchinson Fusion 3 700x25s from Velo Mine. I mounted them on my American Classic 2218 rims. The rims are 17.8mm inner width/22.2mm outer width. The tires measured 26.00mm width after about 2 hours inflated to 90psi. I also measured my old/used Hutchinsons on the A/Cs. Fusion ... Read More »

Hutchinson Fusion 3 25mm Tubeless Failures

Having received no response from Hutchinson regarding the failures of their product, I post my experience here, hoping that others may benefit from the information. I purchased three sets of Fusion 3 25mm tires. One set for my wife's bike on May 14, one set for my bike on May 20th, and a replace ... Read More »

Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless or Schable Ultremo zx tubeless???

I have narrowed it down to either Hutchinson Fusion 3 or Ultremo ZX tubeless tires. Would have like the Secteurs however may have frame clearance issues so don't want to take a chance. Any advice or experiences with either would be great. ThanksRead More »

My opinions on Fusion 3 tubeless vs good tubed clincher

Posting in case someone does a search for tubeless and comparing it to a tubed tire while deciding on a new wheel or tire purchase. My first few weeks running a Fusion 3 23c tubeless on a 23mm wide rim from BHS. I weigh 165 and my roads are hellacious chipseal and infamous patches of goatheads ne ... Read More »

Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tubeless Blew Off Rim

So I am sitting here at work today and all of a sudden I hear a huge bang. I walk outside on my patio to see my rear tire clearly blown off the rim. The bike was not in the Sun and the tire pressure was about 100PSI so it should not have done this. Rim ZTR Crest 29er on My Cannondale Bad Boy (co ... Read More »