Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tires - Clincher

2.57/5 (14 Reviews)

The Fusion 3 offer the best compromise between grip, performance and resistance by using a triple compound design. Hard rubber center to improve wear and resist cuts Lower rolling resistance Softer intermediate rubber t...

Submitted by Chris Ludescher a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2016

Strengths:    Easy to put on/off and good comfortable ride.

Weaknesses:    Bead is far too weak.

Bottom Line:
Like many other reviewers, I am at loss to know how these tires are still being sold. I didn't choose them, they came with my Bianchi Infinito and I had a flat on my first outing. I put that down to bad luck. They seemed okay for the first year and under 3,000ks. However last Sunday on a descent through a hairpin bend down a mountain there was a loud bang, and I completely lost control of the bike which had me crashing into the middle of the road. The back tire had blown off the rim, and with a car behind me, I was very lucky to escape with only skin off, a ruined jersey and gilet, and bruising. I have been riding for a long time, and know how to put tires on, and in fact had checked the pressure before I left for the ride (100 only on the back). These tires are downright dangerous and should be avoided at all cost. Buy them only if you want excitement and you want to wonder if you will come home in one piece or at all.

Submitted by Jeff Nix a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2015

Strengths:    Look good.

Weaknesses:    Poorly made, irregular tread distribution around the tire, wobbly when mounted, weak bead.

Bottom Line:
I bought these Hutchinson Fusion-3 tires off Ebay just to try something different...I'd never bought Hutchinson tires before. After mounting them and fully inflating them, I spun the wheels...VERY wobbly as the wheel turned, eccentric, poor manufacturing/made. Made sure they were seated properly (they were), let the air out, and reinflated. No change. Went in the house to get a coke and heard a loud "bang!". The rear tire had blown out! Bead destroyed! Boxed them up and sending them back for, hopefully, a refund. These are easily the worst tires I've ever mounted on a wheel. Expensive and WORTHLESS! Stay clear at all costs.

Favorite Ride:   Holland Exogrid

Purchased At:   Holland Cycles, San

Similar Products Used:   Conti, Michelin, Vittoria

Bike Setup:   Serotta Ottrott, all Campy Super Record, HED rims laced to Campy Record hubs.

Submitted by Paul

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2015

Strengths:    Grip and suppleness. I put these on after using the Conti-Attacks and found them more responsive and their 23mm width equals Conti's 22mm.

Weaknesses:    They may wear a little fast but not concerned. They can be pushed harder than you think... Makes you rethink what you can do.

Bottom Line:
Rode these during the Haute Route Alps 2015 from day one after debating on purchasing them in the starting area during registration. I needed a 22mm tire width because of my 23mm rims and aero frame narrow seat stays.

During the ride, not one flat! Not one issue. I was considered by my peers to be one of the faster descend'ers in the event and these tires can be pushed so hard it was amazing-never felt in danger of losing traction. I am also an avid sport motorcyclist so I know how to ride two wheels fast and safely. I'm not going back to Conti's anytime soon after riding these.

Submitted by Gayle Garrigues a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to get off rim

Weaknesses:    If you like fixing flats this is the tire for you
After a whopping 300 miles I started getting flats on a daily basis
Don't waste your time or money.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy

Submitted by harry tuttle a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2013

Strengths:    smooth ride, 127 tpi, grip, durability

Weaknesses:    can be pricey when not on sale, weak-ish bead

Bottom Line:
was trying out a 25mm front tire looking for some comfort. unfortunately it was cheap and 60tpi. i have 1800 miles on the fusion 3 rear and its still going strong, so i put it up front and put a new fusion 3 on the rear. wow, what a difference. great ride. i am ~165lbs and run 100-105psi. i have had one tire blow off the rim after going over a bad railroad crossing; two others in my group also flatted but without the tire coming off the rim. luckily no damage to the rim (mavic ksyrium elites). no fives in the rating because 1) they ride great but not like a tubular, 2) I have seen $65 MSRP and that is a bit strong, but you can find them on sale.