Kenda Kountach Endurance K1092 Tires - Clincher

The Kountach is a race-ready tire built with Kenda's top technologies. Features include the R2C dual compound rubber for an outstanding combination of grip speed and agility. Rolling resistance is reduced further thanks to its smooth center tread and textured shoulders. Iron Cloak Belt flat protection offers a little extra peace of mind without adding too much weight. The Kenda K1092 Kountach is available in 700c x 23mm 23-622 ISO. 125 max. PSI. Folding bead. Claimed weight 217g. Various colors.

Submitted by Paul Forsythe a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2016

Strengths:    I don't even worry about what is on the pavement. It appears to be flat-proof and it rolls along nicely at the lower end pressure of 80 psi.

Weaknesses:    It could be a bit lighter, but I could also use lighter tubes.

Bottom Line:
I have the 28 mm version on my new Trek Domane SLR. The rim brake Domane SLR comes from the factory with 28 mm tires and the disc brake SLR comes with 30 mm tires. The whole Domane SLR concept is comfort without loss of performance. My bike weighs only 15 lb. 7 oz. ready to roll (complete with pedals, bottle cage, duo-trap, and computer). That is race worthy. Trek states, "The front and adjustable rear IsoSpeed Decoupler provide the ultimate compliance to conquer the roughest roads." Most of the roads where I am are all but smooth. The confidence that this bike gave me over rough pavement actually has made me lazy. I don't have to dodge potholes, I can just ride straight over them, kind of like riding a mountain bike over a rock or log. Having this capability had me worrying about tire endurance. Just because the bike frame took away a lot of shock, I was now asking the tires to work harder. The Kenda Kountach Endurance was my tire choice after considering all current offerings. It has proved to be bomb proof. The tires sing nicely at 80 psi (I weigh 148), and they hold well in fast corners. They work extremely well on wet pavement too, but some of that feel could just be tire width, as I am used to using 23 mm tires at higher pressures. All of this works so well together that I am considering gravel racing. I like the Kenda Kountach Endurance tire in 28 mm width, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a plusher ride without losing key performance characteristics.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager R3 Hard-Case Lite 700 X 28 clincher.

Bike Setup:   Same as stock Domane SLR with SRAM Red substituted in place of Shimano Ultegra.