Kenda Kwick Tires - Clincher

2.2/5 (5 Reviews)

The minimally-treaded Kwick features an aggressive semi-slick design. Perfect for cross bikes, MTBs ridden on gravel roads but not trails, etc. 60 TPI Folding bead 325g (700c type) 445 grams (26" type) ...

Submitted by icemonkey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2011

Strengths:    Aggressive sticky compound with a good tread pattern. Good rolling on the road, great offroad. Very Very light

Weaknesses:    A bit too narrow for my liking - but they are 30c! its not like I bought wide tires.

Bottom Line:
These are narrow aggressive tires and as such need to be judged by what they are not what we want them to be. And so far they have been excellent! I bought them as they were the right size for a vintage cross frame I have, and were a terrific price. For the price they have lived up to my expectations, I ride mostly dirt with them and as such theve done great. Ive even ridden a lot of smooth single track on them and they hold in the corners. On hardpack they are superb, they roll very fast; on dirt roads they are like silk; on steep gravel they do ok but they are too narrow for large limestone chips; on light sand they do cut in due to their width, but the soft compund holds. On the road they do drag a bit - compared to my Gatorskin slicks - but thats to be expected, these are Cyclocross tires. They have a harsh ride as they are so thin, but the profile does hold well and as they are so light they accelerate brilliantly - sprintingI live in the mountains) away. In a bunch of miles on every sort of terrain (I live in the rockies) Ive found them to work well. In fact my poor mountain bike is getting neglected.

Similar Products Used:   lots and lots and lots

Bike Setup:   CX riding Bianchi Brava steel frame xtr/duraace hubs, bits of xtr, 105 and other odds and ends.

Submitted by OUTITAN a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap if I wanted to rebuy

Weaknesses:    Wears out kwick, doesn't stick

Bottom Line:
Came OEM on my bike, wore through the tire and blew the tube in less than 300 miles. There was also a tread flaw on the tire making one sidewall longer than the other. Grip was middle of the road on pavement, never made it to dirt.

Purchased At:   oem

Bike Setup:   full ultegra with aluminum frame and carbon bars, post and fork.

Submitted by cliff a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    Light: varified at 320 grams on my two scales. Inexpensive. Good tread pattern for mixed road/fast CX courses.

Weaknesses:    Not the best riding/handling CX tire I've ridden. Light, but doesn't feel fast on pavement or dirt. Side knobs could be place a bit more outboard to make cornering a bit more aggressive. Durablility is unknown for me at this review.

Bottom Line:
I can't say much about the durability yet, since I only have about 200 miles on these, about 2/3 road, 1/3 dirt, no mud. Tey seem to be wearing OK. I will say that the tire is sized as marked: 30 mm or slightly narrower. The side knobs are not as far to the edge as they could be, but the tread pattern is in general pretty good for mixed riding in dry conditons so far. I thought they handled predictably in the loose dirt and sand I ride in, and do OK in rocky conditions for a narrow tire.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Tamalpias

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Lots: Michelin Jet & Mud, Vredestein Campo, Panaracer Crossblaster, Ritchey Speedmax & Excavader, Tufo D28 & prestige tub-clincher

Bike Setup:   Steelman Eurocross: Alpha Q CX, Paul neoretro/touring, FSA SL-K compact, STI
RichardSachs CX: XT2 canti, FSA Gossamer, STI
Time ATAC

Submitted by jpcrockett a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Strengths:    they roll. you can put air in them.

Weaknesses:    pretty slow on pavement. loud hum on the pavement. durability absolutely sucks. 300 miles and they are unrideable.

Bottom Line:
sucky tires. they are okay on the road for a cyclocross tire. in the mud, they have been great for me. but after only 300 miles, the sidewalls are separating. i don't dare ride them now, and they only have 300 miles on them. weak. disappointing. glad they came with the bike so i never make the mistake of buying them.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere

Purchased At:   stock

Bike Setup:   cannondale cyclocross

Submitted by Matt a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    None. I'm not sure where they say they are light. After I took these tires off and cleaned them all up, they weighed in @ 685 grams!!!! That's 1.26lb folks. Note websites claim 450grams. Not even close.

Weaknesses:    Waste of rubber. These tires should have never been made. @ 685 grams per tire they are boat anchors. They slip all over, especially on wet semi loose singletrack.

Bottom Line:
These tires came stock on my Bianchi Axis Cyclocross. These tires are horrible. They slip, and slide all over when you are off-road. They are unpredictable where they are going to go when you hit loose dirt.

If these tires are stock on your cyclocross, ditch them for some michelin sprints if you can find some. Otherwise get michelin mud's or Jet's.

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Sprints.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2001 Bianchi Axis Cyclocross. Seatpost is changed to Tommy Thompson and the rear cassette was changed to a XTR 12-34 to save another 1/3 lb.

Cheap tires: Ritchey Speedmax Comp or Kenda Kwick?

So, I am going to get some extreme budget cross tires for my Redline Conquest. I am thinking of getting them in the 700x35 size. The Speedmax and Kwick tires are all within a dollar or 2 of each other, so which is a better all-around tire for offroad (maybe a race- conditions unknown) use? I alre ... Read More »

Mavic a317 and Kenda Kwick?

I am looking at getting some 29er disc wheels for my CX bike. The ones I am looking at are built with Mavic A317 rims. The mavic site lists the recommended tire width as 28-47. Measurements are 622x17c; 622x60x.6 I have a pair of Kenda Kwicks lying around. They are listed as 700cx30. But I look o ... Read More »

Any experience with Kenda Kwick tires?

[FONT=Verdana]Reason I ask is I'm building up my fixie to be a SS for cross. I have ample clearance in the front and plan on using a racing ralph there. Rear I only have room for a700x30c tire. I have a Ritchey speedmax on now but it s*cks. I don't want to spend a bunch and need a 30c tire, so the ... Read More »

Kenda Kwick Roller Sports tires - any use?

Any one use or are familiar with the road tires from Kenda, specifically Kenda Kwick Roller Sports tires. They have the Iron Cap flat prevention system which is some type of Kevlar belting. Durability? Traction? Flat resistance? I'm getting a free pair as a warranty adjustment.Read More »